Ever Go Above and Beyond Only To Get No Review?

That isn’t the point. If you don’t leave reviews for your guests, you are doing a disservice to other hosts by not informing them of whether this was a desirable or undesirable guest.

You are also doing a disservice to your good guests who will be more readily accepted by other hosts if they have good reviews.

Many hosts won’t even accept guests with no reviews. So if their hosts don’t leave reviews, it cuts down on the number of listings they may be eligible to book, which is unfair to great guests any host would be happy to have.

2 Likes

This is a non-issue in my case because my instant book settings only accept guests who already have positive reviews. Not to mention I have never been asked for a review by any guest and assume they can speak for themselves to me if they feel disserviced by me.

Are you familiar with Objectivism?

5 Likes

I don’t disagree with the sentiment but would instead phrase it as my business is not going out of the way beyond providing service strictly required by contractual agreement. I have no obligation to other hosts who technically are my competitors.

1 Like

??? You are making zero sense. You don’t leave reviews for your guests, yet you don’t accept guests who other hosts haven’t written reviews for.

So if all hosts acted like you and didn’t leave reviews, you wouldn’t have any guests book with you using IB.

2 Likes

Don’t argue! We all must live by this particular moral code! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Completely agree, including that I seem to be making zero sense to you in the light of your world view. :slight_smile:

Your “if” is a hypothetical that is not relevant today, not to me at least. I normally don’t think about what if pigs could fly, but if they did start flying, I might then consider employing one for transportation.

I think you should plentifully understand by now, especially with my own unabashed acknowledgment of self interest and @KKC ‘s references to Objectivism, that I am fundamentally different than you. Your words seem to suggest that I ought to feel some shame or remorse or the like, but I feel no such emotion. I run a business that provides a service to the consumer that pays me.

2 Likes

Also @muddy, let’s be honest here. You probably write reviews for your guests not purely out of the altruistic goodness of your heart towards the hosting community. You care about your guest and what they might think of you if you don’t review them. You perhaps also get warm and fuzzy feelings in your heart thinking about how pleased your guest would be reading your words of praise. You probably feel good about yourself writing reviews being in your eyes a good citizen of the community. You probably sometimes read your own review of your guest and feel good about the perfect balance of praise and gentle critical feedback if any you gave them.

Maybe I’m wrong but I postulate that it’s a bit more like parental love, not purely selfless.

2 Likes

In my former STR a few years ago I didn’t always write reviews for guests.
Having now started again and following this site I’ve learned from others how it is important to leave reviews be they good or bad as it helps other hosts decide whether they want to book this guest.
I take no pleasure in writing negative reviews, but am happy to give positive reviews especially to lots of guests recently that don’t have many reviews.

4 Likes

Ah for feck sake, my pomposity meter is going off the scale with this topic.

However, on the basis I’ve had several free Olorosos :wine_glass:
courtesy of mine host in my plaza, and I don’t want to revisit the naughty step this evening I’ll refrain from commenting.

Tomorrow may be different… :wink:

JF

6 Likes

God you’re presumptuous and obnoxious.

And wrong.

4 Likes

Why are you guys all feeding this ridiculously selfish troll?

4 Likes

Sorry! Not acceptable. When joining this forum, you relinquished all rights to run your business as you see fit. As a new member, you must adhere to viewpoints and philosophies expressed by forum regulars.
Now run off and re-check the forum rules or whatever they’re called. There’s gotta be something in there! If there isn’t, then there should be. So let’s just pretend there is, and act accordingly.
We don’t need to have your business metrics, pay your mortgage, taxes, insurance or utilities. We have something far more powerful - a point of view … and believe you me, we’re gonna use it!
Oh yeah, and How Dare You! Don’t even think of replying with any combination of common sense, logic or facts. Our belief system and point of view will squash you!
:rofl:

3 Likes

for me understand both sides. guests are like the hosts all different )…take it as it comes? its fine. u did ur best and they are happy )…

It isn’t as bad as going 'above and beyond 'and getting an unjust and downright nasty review. Still hurts.

2 Likes