Ever done a hospitality weekend?

I’m not sure of the proper phrase, but it would be an organised must event weekend for a couple of guests: private box at the football with dining experience, make your own lamp, private box at the theatre, wine tasting, etc. The guests would be ferried from event to event, with champagne on ice back at the Airbnb, and I suppose I ought to push the boat out and provide a nice little box of chocs, and a personalised welcome note with itinerary.
These are just some of the options (I missed out on Elton John tickets :frowning: ), but has anyone done anything similar, or been tempted?

Can I come stay? Lol

Sounds nice! And I don’t even need Elton John! You had me at football and champagne!

4 Likes

I’ve been tempted (thanks to my natural hospitality gene) but then the sensible me has taken over and thought about liability, lawsuits and so on. But there again, I’m more or less becoming American…

5 Likes

I have a good chum who goes to people’s houses as a personal chef (sources what’s seasonal at the local market in the morning), I can even fit a dining table in the guests room.
I’m getting quite excited about this. Mat well even check the insurance :slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds brilliant. Keep us updated.

1 Like

Where/how will you advertise???

Dunno!

Literally had this idea 11 minutes before posting.
Also have a local horse racing and greyhound stadium. Airbnb ‘experiences’ have candlemaking and cycle tours, and all sorts, I’m sure I could negotiate a discount, although I am the worst person I know for negotiating a discount.
Just remembered, little Airport 10 miles away (Shoreham) does an air tour of the coast for 2, £133. Could be quite a good weekend. Limousine to Shoreham please!

3 Likes

I tried to offer concierge services for an hourly rate (buying groceries, setting up reservations, and signed up for UBER) for a few groups of business travelers. I didn’t have any takers. HOWEVER I am not in a destination location or big city so I think it is not going to help in my market.

I think in the right market, it could be a great differentiator and money maker.

1 Like

I have a friend of a friend who is somewhat advanced in this area (ie, he drives a ferrari), hires a hotel suite overlooking the finishing line at the Monaco Grand Prix, the experience includes a visit from the likes of David Beckham, and various racing drivers, plus access all areas before the race.
Puts my ‘watch Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Bournemouth’ to shame!

3 Likes

Could your chef friend do you an evening of guests learning to cook then eating? Would be popular but insurance against food poisoning, chopping fingers etc. obligatory.
(I have just eaten mussels so mustn’t jinx myself lol)

2 Likes

Do I get a discount if David Beckham isn’t included??? I DEFINITELY want to be overlooking the finish line at Monaco one year. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

very good idea…wonder if he’s up to teaching/demo-ing

1 Like

Don’t offer discounts for a Package Deal – charge a premium! You will be working harder what with driving, have many more liability issues (you’re driving and get t-boned; your guest gets trampled at the concert; you and guest get car-jacked, etc.)

Personal Chefs, by the nature of their business, should be covered by their own liability insurance; I certainly am, through the US Personal Chef Association to which I belong.

3 Likes

a click makes the pic clearer, just thinking out loud really…looks like it could cost the guests £1500 for 2 nights! :hushed:

1 Like

I’ve thought about this in an urban homesteading kind of way (help weed/build a thing/ feed the aquaponic fish!), but i decided the toddler needs to be older and my urban homestead needs to be steadier. Lol. (Right now I’ve got a great crop of… morning glories)

I do think it’s a great way to compete with hotels. Since there’s a crackdown on STR in my city, I’ve also thought about separating the experience from the sleeping part and offering butter making/seam stitching/jam making classes to the kids in our gentrifying neighborhood.

Love your idea, keep us updated on how it goes!

1 Like

I’m almost scared to ask?

“Ipomea”, i.e a climbing, tendrilled, plant with gorgeous blue trumpet flowers, open only during the day. I have tried growing it from seed here, several times, but failed miserably. Grows wild in Portugal.

1 Like

Morning Glories are considered weeds here, and very invasive.

1 Like

It’s wild and i didn’t plant it. I’ve never successfully grown it from seed, but it was in the yard when we got here and is one of the few things that outclimbs the grapes.

1 Like

A friend in Portugal has a wall covered with it but hacks it back every spring to keep it in check. I love the irridescent blue of the trumpet flowers.