Enquiry I don't understand

Here’s what I say if they ask - “If it’s still open of course you can extend your stay or re-book, but only on the app”. The end, it’s that simple.

3 Likes

I state that I only go through the Airbnb platform, likewise encouraging people to communicate that way also, as Airbnb encourages. But more importantly, I am endlessly grateful to Airbnb for providing me a way of making a living and personally would never want to jeopardize that relationship. Someone requesting to do so is also a red flag to me.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience. May I ask how long you’ve been hosting?

May, 2023 will be our 7th season. I have 881 reviews. Average of 4.9 from 3 units. God has been really good to us.

3 Likes

That’s pretty much how I read it. This will not be happening. I’ve replied saying that they are welcome to book the extra night through AirBNB if it’s still available.

I’m not doing any deals off platform.

Happy Christmas! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Advice; cancel their first night. I will not deal with any bargain hunters any longer. They are the worst. Save yourself some heartache and a headache.

1 Like

You raise a good point.

I’ve read two points of view here on the forum.

One is that it’s legitimate, sometimes even part of someone’s cultural identity, to negotiate before a reservation is made.

Another view is that these are scum-sucking bottom-feeders who sap our time and energy and are to be avoided at all costs.

I don’t know if there’s ‘an answer’ but if you cancel then the Host will pay a penalty. Since this was an inquiry – and if they’d prefer not to host this guest – the could be very direct and say something like :

"You’re asking whether you could extend the stay by a day if it’s available. You’re free to do so at the rate applicable on the platform by making a new reservation. Note that you’d need to make that reservation the day before as we don’t accept same-day reservations.

Please know that we have a strict policy of fee integrity. That means we don’t negotiate rates, so you’ll always know that the rate on the platform is the best available."

So, even though you might be thinking of the "Keep the Change, You Filthy Animal Scene’ from ‘Home Alone’ the hospitable Host must be more diplomatic (and nonviolent):

1 Like

Thanks Glenn, I just spat coffee all over my screen. :slight_smile: :rofl:

If I cancel their one night booking, don’t I get grief from airbnb? I do not need more grief in my life.

1 Like

Hi Raisa. I’d love to cancel but that would mean getting borax from Airbnb.

I dated a woman in the military who always asked every business if they had a military discount. I have little doubt that she would ask Airbnb hosts if they offered one if it wasn’t part of the listing.

1 Like

I just hope you realize that Airbnb does not have the same sense of loyalty towards its hosts. They suspend or delist hosts based on bogus claims from scamming guests, refuse to tell hosts what they were accused of, and the fact that someone has been hosting for years, with pages of great reviews, makes no difference.

While I wouldn’t make an outside deal with a first-time guest who contacted me through the platform, if a good guest wanted to return, I would certainly give them the option to book directly.

2 Likes

If they can’t do it through Airbnb, I won’t permit it. You have no recourse to collect that money if they decide not to pay or stay even longer at that point.

2 Likes