Eating and having friends over while guest is booked

I don’t understand this recommendation. I don’t want guests to touch the gate latch. I instructed the guest to not touch the gate, but to leave the bicycles in the driveway and told him the reason. He reached over the six foot gate to reach the latch on the other side. Why do you always think there is one more thing that hosts must do (write something, attach a sign, tell the guest something)? Many times we communicate to the guests in incredible detail, but they either don’t read, don’t listen or willfully do the opposite of what we’ve asked.

In the case of blocking my neighbor’s driveway. I wouldn’t have minded if the guest got towed as she was stubborn about parking illegally. My issue was that my neighbor is a caterer. She would have serious professional repercussions if she was late to a job because she had to wait for a car that was blocking her catering truck in to be towed.

I don’t agree with you that “there’s got to be a way”. I believe that no matter what magic combination of methods of communication we use, guests will not follow instructions for a variety of reasons.

Again, I agree with you on guests not reading but I believe (based on my experience) that we as hosts can help the situation. I understand your frustration, my guests do stuff that drives me insane and costs me money as well (Airbnb wouldn’t cover) but I learned the hard way how to deal with it and I did ended up lowering those incidents.

You’re telling me that a simple combination lock on your gate wouldn’t prevent guests going into the backyard? I think it would.

I’m not going against you here and I’m trying to figure out what can be done and help. If she chooses to park her car and block someone there’s only that much YOU can do. I understand your neighbor catering business is on the line but still there’s only that much you can do. People will have to learn the hard way. If your neighbor needed to go out and would scream at her for blocking she would know.

Actually, our neighbor is prone to fisticuffs.

What can you do. She’d learn the very hard way.

That’s good :slight_smile: ! I have a similar set-up to you and mainly get guests who understand the concept that they’re sharing a house and not expecting a hotel experience. If they arrive during a family meal, we do the same as you - pause dinner and one of us (me!!!) will do the tour. It doesn’t happen often and I’ve never found anyone to be uncomfortable no matter where they’re from. It’s on us, the hosts, to enable people to feel comfortable. Unless you’re having a full-on dinner with candles, napkins, butler, small orchestra playing in the background - don’t worry about it.

Re. arrival times, I don’t ask guests what time they plan to arrive but what time their flight/train/bus is scheduled to arrive. I can estimate how long it will take them to get here far better than they can. Also I can check for any delays. It’s more difficult when they’re driving, of course, but knowing where they are travelling from and approximately what time of day will give a good estimation. It’s understandable that people will not be able to judge times/distances as well as you can, google or no google!

1 Like

“Unless you’re having a full-on dinner with candles, napkins, butler, small orchestra playing in the background…” :grin:

“I don’t ask guests what time they plan to arrive but what time their flight…is scheduled to arrive. I can estimate how long it will take them to get here…”

Exactly what I do and for the same reason!

I never ask which airline or flight # because I’m not interested in looking up their flight. What is important to me is finding out whether they are arriving by taxi or rental car because that plays into it, as well as the time of their flight departure because it will clue me in on what time they will be vacating.

The info allows the housecleaner to tighten up her schedule on both ends if she chooses.

These are not ‘cultural’ issues, these are rude, self absorbed people who disregarded @EllenN ‘s clear instructions/request. That’s not a culture, unless douchebag is now a specific cultural group.

1 Like

Rudeness can be perceived FROM cultural differences - that’s exactly my point.