Early check-ins - add it to the "NOPE" list

I can’t control the other hosts and I think they will continue to offer free nights to guests.

I am going back to my practice of blocking a guest who asks for early check in or late check out and doesn’t want to pay for the additional nights. I’d rather not host such people. There are plenty of quality guests out there. If they ask these things a day before check in or check out, I will take good care of them in the review. I’m sure there are hosts like you and me who would appreciate the warning about such guests.

1 Like

Yes, as it is a standard hosting practice for us that comes with the rental.

Hi. When our guests ask to arrive early we explain that we won’t know how long it will take us to do a proper turnover until we finish, and if we finish before 4pm we’re happy to text them. We don’t hurry and we don’t cut corners. But if it works out - yay.

4 Likes

Brilliant!
11 14 17 20

Yup. Almost had the same scenario. Pressured to allow ridiculously early check-in. I compromised and said yes to about an hour later than the request, with no extra charge. Excellent communication until they landed in London. After double checking the place was absolutely ok, I sat and sat and sat and sat waiting until realised I had a dental appointment that had to get to. Rang them…they had stopped for Brunch somewhere and not had the courtesy to let me know. Four Hours past the agreed check-in time!! They arrived 20 mins after my call, so they must have been fairly local.

Turned out to be my worst guests! But that’s another story.

I don’t mind if a guest asks for early check in or late check out. I happen to be of the mind that “it never hurts to ask.” That being said, I’m also perfectly happy saying “no” if it isn’t convenient for me and I absolutely will NOT go out of my way to make it work (for all the reasons listed above). And if it’s something the guest absolutely “needs” then I suggest they book the day before to guarantee an early check in is available (I’ve only ever had one guest take me up on this).

Although not a hotelier, I do consider myself to be in the business of hospitality and to that effort I try to be hospitable. But as a businessman I ALSO know when to say “no.” I do enjoy reading about others’ policies and practices; I learn a lot from this community.

3 Likes

With August, the code isn’t effective until their check-in time.

My college aged son told me that some of his peers were sharing a “hack” to get a free night in an airbnb.

It goes like this: Sweet talk a host into early check-in for something like 5 or 6 am. Then, when you get the codes, assume that nobody will be on site at an ungodly early hour and check in when you want, like midnight or 1 am. Voila, free night.

Naturally I raised my son right and he pointed out that a) it’s theft b) hosts will know, since some are on-site, some have cameras and c) you risk having no accommodation if this is your plan.

Anyhow, it’s out there, probably on somebody’s tictok as a smart way to travel on the cheap.

1 Like

Jane, I am having the same type of issue anb because my good nature I try to go to all the way through to acomodate them. However, on my last booking through another channel or platform not Airbnb, I end up with an unfair review. I guess she couldn’t find a good reason to complain about my great service and accommodation, she complained about the air conditioning beo g too noisy and nothing to hang her wet " costumes"??? Well, this is a condotel and I do the best I can even try to please the world.

1 Like

If I can, I let the guest know they can checkin early, even if they don’t ask. Once the place is ready I don’t mind when they come as it’s a self checkin process.
I’ll leave as outside light on for the early/ late birds.

2 Likes

If a guest wants early check in or late check out, that is fine by me… However it is an extra fee.

Normally, when i mention this, the guest can suddenly check in/ check out at my normal times lool

Never give anything away for free… The guests will not respect you and your product.

3 Likes

It’s not a product. It’s hospitality.

3 Likes

Almost all my guests arrive in my town by bus from the airport an hour away, or by highway bus from another part of Mexico. Although I don’t offer it in my listing, I offer to pick them up at the bus stop, just a 5 minute drive for me, and also to drive them back when they leave.

I get nothing but appreciation for this. And many of the guests are quite generous and thoughtful as well, asking if I would like them to bring anything small with them that I can’t get in Mexico, bringing little gifts, buying bottles of wine or food to share during their stay.

There’s a difference between a guest acting entitled to special treatment, and a host offering extras for free or saying “no problem” to a politely worded request. Not all hosts get guests who take advantage. There are still plenty of decent people out there.

6 Likes

I like the idea of the “rush cleaning fee”.