Dreaded superhost status

I heard lots of superhosts give away a lot of things like free airport pick ups, free food, gifts and very generous use of amenities for a very low price. Is it true in your case?

1 Like

Not in my case. Our rental (one bedroom - max guests 2) is at a minimum of $125 per night, We leave snacks for the guestsā€™ first evening and cereals, milk and yogurt for their first breakfast. Absolutely no airport pick ups. No gifts either. They can use all onsite amenities but we have nothing fancy such as a pool or hot tub.

1 Like

@jaquo we are cheap too!! LOL I give Cava, local Barca beer, and water all sub 10 Euro but that is it! Sometime our prop mgr will let guests leave luggage etc, but Iā€™m thinking of doing away with that as well, as we also get poor reviews from those people.

We canā€™t be SH bc of our property in Catalan, but i donā€™t think it matters bc we always lose marks for Value ( um, no one ever said SF or Wine Country was cheap!!) and Location (which baffles my mind bc we are so explicit regarding location, etc). Frankly, IDGAF, bc the guests who want SH only properties are probably pain in the arses. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Location baffles me too! The rental is right on the waterfront with a great dock. The view is fantastic. Weā€™re one mile from the beach and one mile in the other direction from fantastic restaurants and shopping. Nightlife is nearby. As are plenty of local attractions. But weā€™ve had four stars for location!

1 Like

Are you near Las Olas?? If yes thatā€™s a beautiful area, canā€™t imagine someone would not think its perfect

Yes! We are on the Las Olas Isles. And youā€™re SO right - it is perfect!

1 Like

I am a superhost. I am new on Air with only 15 reviews so far though, and Iā€™ve heard that it is easier for beginners to get the badge.

My price per guest is higher than average in my area (with extras, 135ā‚¬ for 4 guests and most properties in this price range sleep 6 or 8). I leave candies and biscuits, coffee and tea, a bottle of water and a colouring book for kids but thatā€™s it. I donā€™t leave anything for breakfast as I assume guests would rather buy fresh stuff from the bakery. Itā€™s an average residential building with no amenities.

Guests tell me what they like about my place is that it is very clean, stylish, very clean, quiet, very clean, and with a lovely view (over a small pond/canal, they may feed ducks from the balcony).

What seems to make a difference is Cleanliness (hosts nearby get 5 stars 63% of the time), and Value (hosts nearby get 5 stars 64% of the time).

There is nothing fancy in my apartment. Itā€™s all RTA furniture, no granite, no marble, no king size beds. As my price is higher than the competition, I do believe that good design does a lot for perceived value, so you would better arrange a place for it to look very pretty if you want to get good Value scores.

Views from the listing also seem important, as listings in my neighborhood with a view over the canal are rated 5 stars for location whereas listings in the neighborhood center (closer to shops and transit but without the view) get 4.5 stars for location.

I wonder what guests who give @jaquo 's listing a 4 for location are looking for !

2 Likes

I am constantly dinged on location. We are in rural Hawaii but have our own private snorkeling beach with absolutely stunning diving and snorkeling. Not a starbux to be seen though so thatā€™s probably why. I will never ever be a SH and am just peachy with my 4.5 stars. I donā€™t want them coming here expecting the Four Seasons when they paid for the One Season. :smile:

1 Like

Bingoā€¦this is why I donā€™t do these things for guests. The extra trouble you go to doesnā€™t result in any payoffs. And may even result in a complaint!!

1 Like

Hi Yana. No actually we do offer dinners and airport pick but at additional costs. I believe our success is we treat our guest( we only take 1) like part of the family and make sure they feel like part of our home the minute they arrive. My partner is an artist and does a personalised calligraphy welcome card and a real cool lght box with a Welcome xxx in there native language.That costs us no extra and solo travellers really enjoy it. Plus we are in a nice suburb with a nice house and close to central Melbourne (Australia). Cheers Craig

Lots of people do what you describe, I donā€™t think itā€™s so unique for a host to be warm and welcoming. I am in a very ncredible location also , actually one of the best in South Florida and my house is beautiful and super clean.
caligraphy sounds really cool

My cleanliness is 96% still no superhost:)

Hey, if you have received superhost status you are already doing everything right. Relax and enjoys the rewards and additional bookings.

I am going to SF and Sonoma in May. Rented a whole apartment for 250$ a night. For 4 people.I think itā€™s super cheap comparing to hotels. What would we do without Air!!!

2 Likes

I think theyā€™d like Disneyland five miles away, a ski resort five miles in the other direction and maybe dancing girls performing on the dock every hour!

2 Likes

iā€™ld like an assortment of pool boys as well, please.

1 Like

I aim to please. Iā€™ll see what I can do :slight_smile:

Me too, assortment of pool boys sound really good, hehe

2 Likes

Well of course theyā€™ll be a pain in the ass. First off theyā€™re using Airbnb, which means theyā€™re on the cheap, which is just fine, but donā€™t crab about something minor that you could do if you were staying at the Hilton.

1 Like

According to my stats the only thing standing between me and superhost status is quantity of trips hosted. This would be because my minimum is a month and most stay 2, 3, 4 months at a time.

I only put out food if they are coming by airplane and arriving too late to settle in and get out to a store to buy breakfast, and then itā€™s only fruit. I do supply disposable salt and pepper and sugar.

Iā€™m half a mile from the bus stop, 2+ miles from the beach and 1000 miles from any meaningful cultural stuff. My guests are usually taking a short term course of study or internship.

The rooms should have been repainted long ago and the windows have to be propped open. Even I would call it a bit shabby. OTOH, the linens are fresh and new and each room has a little fridge, microwave and coffee maker. I get 5 stars except for location, which is accurate and canā€™t be helped.

Iā€™m not sure what would make superhost status either dreaded or of meaningful value. Is it more of a gold star motivator type thing, or do you get something concrete from it.?