Downgrade in verification requirements?

Update on my guest that cancelled. He messaged me and said the cancellation was a mistake he made while updating his profile. I told him to just use instant book now that he meets the requirements and he did.

1 Like

Yes I have noticed this a lot lately. Only past month. Prompts me to check my settings. My settings are all good. However have found a solution. I discretely take out the phone and take a photo of their mv number plate after arrival. However, the fact is I would rather airbnb require this before all bookings per my setting, rather than me having to hassle through it. I did ask on one occassion, and totally ignored me. Not a good start. I also find that the guest email is not their main one, mainly because they dont respond to my queries. This ID is a key one for me - as I live alone and the home is part of my house (private not share). So ideas here - I didnt know about instant booking block with no ID, and how to ask for it, great thanks.

OK. So have now checked listing and with this site think I know how it works. Instant book on for govt ID guests. When no ID, then reservation is sent to me for confirmation. No instant book. So with those guests, I will now ask that they provide a govt ID at check in (with notice when I confirm booking). Any feedback would be appreciated. If not I will let you know how it goes. Cheers

@JJD this is a little confusing to me because the link you provide only says that “Full name, Email address, Confirmed phone number, Introductory message, Agreement to house rules, Payment information” are requirements. They say nothing about verified government ID. I’m wondering when this change took place? I only noticed this, recently, because, apparently, most of my guests have not been new, and the recent ones, from 2020, are the ones that I just noticed only have a phone number on their profile. I was shocked! Where have I been? All along I have said to people (especially those that appear to be very young, and wanting to book “spring break” type of parties) that I will need their IDs at the door. I did not realize that I was asking for something above and beyond what Airbnb required!

It is possible that your STR Insurance and/or town requires that you record the IDs anyway. I would absolutely keep doing it, especially with younger people who are literally looking to book a “party”.

1 Like