Double Cancellation - advice as guest and host please!

But why? The Extenuating Circumstances policy is very concise and easy to read and losing a job isn’t even remotely one of the conditions for extenuating circumstances. You are basically suggesting that @retropet attempt to manipulate the policy. At the very least, it’s a waste of CS time and energy (which effects us all) because you can plainly read the policy and see that this doesn’t qualify. There isn’t even anything that could be interpreted poorly by an incompetent CS that would grant EC for a job loss. It’s sure to be frustrating and a waste of time for the OP.

4 Likes

She’s cancelling and paying whatever she needs to to the host per policy. I still will have an open home til she moves in a few months. Just so happens it will overlap with my reservations at that time later this spring. My intention is to help my family first. Nothing else. Geez.

Oh, I feel like you’re getting the tough love here. Sorry it feels like criticism.

From the outside it looks like you’re sacrificing the long-term potential of your business to accommodate a short-term life change of your sister’s.

Job loss stinks, and I’m sure she’s reeling with the news, but I feel like you’ve catastrophized the issue and taken steps that set yourself on fire to keep her warm.

I hope it works out well for both of you!

7 Likes

#POTD

6 Likes

I’m sorry for your sister. Losing a job after so many years is terrifying. But, has the company pay some sort of severance package? Can she ask for unemployment from the state? Can’t she do something else? There’s a lot of info you left out in your message, like for example why does she have to move in with you? Where did she live before? Why can’t she continue living there and - for example - rent out a room to Airbnb while doing a bit of Uber driving? I don’t know if this is enough but I had guests who said that they can live on doing Uber. This way you don’t have to lose income either and if she doesn’t make enough perhaps you could help her financially.

As for the trip, if I were the host I would grant you a full refund but I Would want proof that she was terminated. The termination letter. You could try to talk to CS. You have nothing to lose.

1 Like

One more thing you might consider: I have read many instances of hosts who shut down bookings temporarily and how incredibly difficult it was to rebuild momentum when they start back up.

1 Like

I had this happen to a friend. She was in-home property management for a large (large) home and rented the rooms via AirBnB for the owners. Her room was part of her pay and when the owner decided to dump the house (long story), she was out a job and a place to live. She moved in with me until she got back on her feet. It was prior to my joining AirBnB, and it gave me the impetus to join and … voila! :wink:

I don’t see anyone shaming you. I see a ton of people trying to get a handle on what’s going on with your sister (and perhaps networking - you never know who knows someone that could get her a job!) and trying to help you.

It’s a tough group of genuinely caring and extraordinarily proactive people here. Not a lot of sugar coating.

2 Likes

It seems you likely did not read the entire thread in detail!

And I will reiterate again, grateful for all the advice & feedback, regardless of delivery, as all is helful!

I read the thread in detail. Twice. And failed to see any shaming. Everyone here is trying to help you during an emotional time for your sister. And possibly help your sister.

You will lose business if you snooze your listing while she’s staying with you. You will lose business if you boot the 2 reservations. You’ve been given advice from people with tons of experience. Blunt advice. Not shaming.

We don’t understand why she has to move in with you and move states. If she has savings, she should be able to stay where she is.

You haven’t given clear responses. Clearly she has money if she can pay your mortgage while staying with you, which begs other questions, which have been asked, not answered.

2 Likes

In answer to your question regarding her move here, much more & better job opportunities in her field where I live. She used to live and work here years ago and regrettably left and moved for a job, hence realizing in hindsight better opportunities where I live. And where she lives now, I sure would not want to stay with her current landlord nor area. Her lease is up, so she will move regardless. Certainly a more job opportunity area would be best for her to move to. And for those of who have dogs, finding a landlord who will allow pets is hard to find, and an Airbnb room share with a large dog is near impossible to find.

Thank you for the clarification. I am positive that everyone on this thread who reads your answers will also be thankful for your reply.

NOW it all makes sense.

I agree with @KKC . An awesome quote @Allison_H. This is a new one for the white board - just below “I’m tired of life teaching me valuable lessons”.

6 Likes

Learning experiences are always expensive (money, time, emotionally draining, physically debilitating).

1 Like

As a host who also has a strict cancellation policy, I would not refund your money because you decided not to go on holiday because your sister has lost her job.

This is not a thing that I can take out insurance against, and if I refunded your money, I would be the one who loses out, with empty nights.

If money were so tight that losing your job means that a prepaid holiday has to be cancelled, your sister should have taken out insurance in case of losing her job.

Sorry, I know that’s tough, but really why should a complete stranger who needs the income from renting their property be the one that has to fund your sister’s job loss?

4 Likes