Double booking nightmare

I wonder how many folks we have that are reading here that don’t even know what an A4 page is…I fell like I am on the cusp and that those younger than me wouldn’t know unless they have a Master’s Degree.

Stop talking durty, you almost oldie.

:stuck_out_tongue:

JF

1 Like

I’m old (almost 62), retired teacher and I had to ask what it was. So maybe it’s a UK thing?

Largely it is, yes. It means ‘letter size’.

The one I always get wrong is saying the word ‘tape’ as in ‘are you taping it?’ I forget to say ‘record’. There’s no ‘tape’ involved these days. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Please, let’s not go there with this one!

It’s taken me years to stop saying “sorry my phone was closed”.

JF

1 Like

Not a UK thing…it’s one of the many paper sizes…like letter and legal. You can see a bunch of you go into the page setup of Word for Windows.

1 Like

Voila!

JF

2 Likes

It took me years to stop calling the music a tape. My daughters would look at me with a weary and pitying expression and say “Mom-it’s a CD, not a cassette tape.”

2 Likes

I still write most things down. When I get a booking, I immediately write down the guest’s phone number in case Airbnb has some glitch causing it to disappear. Then I also have it if I ever want to get in touch with them again.

2 Likes

We’ve been doing STR for less than three years. I, too, don’t trust Airbnb to be available online every moment. When we get reservations, I copy all the guest’s info onto my laptop-resident calendar. Each Airbnb reservation is color-coded on the calendar. My calendar reminds me about every reservation. I also take a few notes there about guest preferences and sometimes personal details they tell us (dog’s name, where they went on vacation, etc.). That way, if they come back to stay again, I can “remind” myself what we know about them and seem doubly welcoming.

I have a granddaughter who is seven. She’s a very bright little girl but she doesn’t know what a CD is/was. When I thought about it, I understood why. She’s only been properly aware of the world for a few years and CDs haven’t really been used during that time. There must be so many more words that I use all the time that she’ll not know when she’s grown up.

And it’s quite possible with anything. We get people posting here often about glitches on the site. Oh, except my old fashioned diary. That’s glitch-free.

Unless I drop it into the canal or spill red wine all over it or next door’s dog eats it or… oh blimey…

3 Likes

My daughter hates when I refer to texts as “notes,” as in: “Did you see my note about such-and-such?” I overheard her complain to a friend that it makes her wonder where I left the Post-It note.

2 Likes

Okay, here’s something interesting. The generations that grew up texting communicate in one liners. They’ll send 6 one liner texts in a row, rather than compose their thoughts and write it all in one message. Drives me nuts, because younger guests do this, too, with the Airbnb messaging, or if they text me during their stay. You have to keep reading yet another message because they won’t write all their questions or answers or info in one concise go.
So I asked one of my guests who was doing this, during her stay, if she could explain to me why people do this. What she told me was a revelation.
I think of texting or messaging as another form of writing. But that’s not how younger people think of it. She told me they consider it an alternate form of speaking, not writing. So you say something, then I say something, then you say something back, etc.
Your daughter doesn’t consider your texts to be notes, but conversations.

3 Likes

I do that.

Often.

And I’m what some might describe as “not young”.

:slight_smile:

JF

Brilliant! It also explains last night’s girl that can’t handle scents w 10 pound service animal sending her responses like she did. She is possibly responding by text and I’m responding by app.

It actually annoys me a little when commo transmitted in one medium arrives in another. If I am writing anything other than texts I always format it like a letter, even if an informal one with:

Name,

Message body (including fully spelled out words and with proper punctuation)…

Respectfully,
Kelly

That must be annoying if it is received as a text…but I have no way of knowing what medium a guest is receiving and sending the messages via…

I actually had a guest tell me that she doesn’t mean to send so many one-lines separately but that there’s a setting on her phone that takes the “return” as a “completed” - e.g. When she hits “return” to start a new paragraph, it sends the message. She said she had it set correctly on her old phone but had just gotten a new phone and hadn’t figured out how to change it yet. I feel like I had a similar problem with an ipad once. That explains some messages at least to me. I can tell when they aren’t really complete thoughts.

3 Likes

jaquo, I too have a diary in the kitchen that everything goes into, the Master Schedule. I sit down with it, about once a week and update it with AirBnB, received text messages & school fliers.

Funny video about future kids and doing things the old fashioned way: https://youtu.be/Jv-QitdhQwQ

1 Like

It’s so easy and sensible, isn’t it? So many people try to over-complicate things these days.

1 Like

Honest mistake. So sorry for all involved.