Done hosting children and babies

Hi there, I haven’t been on in ages due to that virus. I am so sorry that you hosted a pack of baboons. The concrete was the piece de resistance - clearly no one was looking after the kids.

Cry havoc.

1 Like

You call this hospitality? I call it combat hosting.

:rofl:

Yes, I do. All part of the fun.

1 Like

Raised 3 kids and have 6 grandkids. None ever pissed the bed. If they were too young to be able to rouse themselves and go to bathroom on their own, they were in diapers. All mine were out of diapers by the time they were 2 and there were no “accidents”.

2 Likes

Muddy that is also a good note thanks

No kids here. Not so much damage but recently parents put an 11 month old (naked) baby into the 101 degree hot tub. Baby was crying which drew my attention. They did it again the next day. Not as worried about baby poop (although that is a factor) as the infant overheating. Then another father was on his cell phone while my cat tried to protect his 18 month old toddler from falling into the waterfall. Then the toddler went to the woodpile (not in the guest area) and tossed the logs everywhere. Besides worrying if a log would fall on him, one never knows if there is a rattlesnake in there. PLEASE PARENTS…WATCH YOUR KIDS. My cat worries more about them than you do

2 Likes

The way so many people’s attention is glued to their smart phone these days definitely creates a dangerous distraction that didn’t used to exist. I don’t feel sorry for the people who fall into open manholes or off curbs because they aren’t looking where they are going, but staring at their screen or texting.

But when it’s parents of young children, or they are doing it while driving, it’s total negligence which can result in devastating consequences for others or even the death of their child. And no doubt they would try to sue you for having snakes on the property.

The very first line of the description of my home says “no children under 12” but I still get requests. They simply don’t tell me and hope I won’t ask, but I always do. This week someone put in a request and it said two adults and two children. I asked how old the children were and she told me 4 and 5. I said “I’m puzzled by this since my description has as its first line no children under 12.” She said “my apologies I didn’t notice.” Oh brother. I complained once to Airbnb, saying that I should not have to turn down requests and have it count against me when I make it quite clear that I don’t take children. Their advice to me was to put the fact that I do not accept children under 12 in the title. In other words instead of Cozy Ocean View Cottage, I should call my house “No Children Under 12.” I said to the Airbnb agent “Are you for real?” She said, very seriously, “Yes, I think that would work.”

8 Likes

I always take the approach Miss Manners recommends. It’s along the lines of “Don’t do that sweetie, you might get hurt.” Said politely but firmly.

Once I was checking a guest in and her four year old started jumping on the mattress of the canopy bed, and reaching up to touch the original 1913 irreplaceable lighting fixture. Mom stood there, ignoring the child and saying nothing. So I looked at the child and said firmly “you can’t jump on the beds or stand on them. You might fall. You might get hurt. The child looked absolutely shocked and Mom got him down off the bed.

6 Likes

I suggest instant book, then you can just cancel them.

RR

1 Like

My point wasn’t that I needed a solution. Now that it is the first line of the description, when they request anyway, I tell them that they need to withdraw the request since the request breaks my rules, and they always do. I am not a fan of instant book and would never do it again. My point was just how ridiculous the advice from Airbnb was.

1 Like

Hi, Brand new here can someone tell me how to create a post?
Sorry Im off topic.

My concern are the adults! I guess there’s a reason when someone gets really drunk, it’s called a pisser. :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Laughing out loud. My title, “Ann’s Comfy Red Couch Condo for 2”.

My 6 things to know before we confirm your booking message says, “Maximum 2 guests”

I’ve had guests show up 2x this summer with 3. Both stated, “oh didn’t realize that. We were going to use the bed & sleeper sofa.”

1 Like

@takeapebble1

I think New members can’t create posts. Perhaps one of the moderators can help you.
@KKC
@jaquo ?

I think that’s correct. Because online forums are so open to spammers these days, the creators of this software requires members to be active in other conversations before they can start a new topic.

1 Like

Don’t worry about it, we do that from time to time. Welcome to the forum. As @jaquo and @Annet3176 said you will need to hang around, read and respond to posts or convince a mod you are not out to spam us to get your trust level bumped up a bit so you can start a post. What is it you wanted to post about?

RR

1 Like

We bought an off-white leather rapido sofa bed. I admit that it wasn’t a rational choice for an Airbnb.

1 Like

I made the same good decision 2 years ago - much less work, much less stress! Goodbye forever to those fussy, ungrateful and negligent parents although they were a minority among all the families with kids and babies I had hosted, most of which were actually very lovely and clean.

1 Like

I agree, most are ok but enough are bad enough to spoil it for the rest.

RR

2 Likes