Dogs at rental with no dog policy

I would expect his not to be too much of a worry as MOST (definitely not all) disabled people with a true service animal will not intentionally book a place that said absolutely no animals. The ones who do that are usually not legit and then they would not be able to successfully lodge any complaint on their behalf.

Have you ever heard of Ruggable? The next rug I buy for an AirBnB will be one of them. They are machine washable…my cleaner told me about them.

1 Like

We have a Ruggable rug. Meh. Not great. The top layer is very thin and never seems to stick back down to the velcro base as well as we want it to after washing. Edges act a bit loose between layers.

Also, if you try to vacuum it between washings, the rug (with the base attached) is so thin that the vacuum tends to get stuck on it. Hard to maintain it.

One more thing: The one we have is either 4x6 or 5x7 (whichever size they have). It’s hard enough to get the two layers of this size lined back up. I certainly wouldn’t want to try that with a larger one.

It’s a nice idea—just not great in use.

3 Likes

I’ve seen the ads. If you get one let me know how you like it.

@KKC, see my comment about Ruggable rugs just above.

1 Like

Darn! I was hoping they would be a great solution for when we open a pet friendly AirBnB. Maybe I’ll try a small one for the entry and see how they work.

1 Like

I have a set up where I throw rugs over an iron fence and hose down with a high pressure nozzle outside and they will be dry in a day or two. Most people can’t do that. And the airbnb room only needs small ones. It’s hard to beat Costco on prices too.

1 Like

I have this possible option as well. I do it with the dog blankets/beds. What rugs do you use?

Yeah, with our high humidity they would never dry here.

If you’re asking me I usually buy my rugs at Costco.

1 Like

Yes I was sorry I didn’t edit to add you as I didn’t see that it didn’t show who I was replying to. Any particular rugs at Costco?

The 3x5 with a rubber backing is what I’ve gotten most often. They are often a loop that will pull if I’m not careful with vacuuming. What I have for the non-dog owners now is a runner for each side of the bed. It’s just a polypropelene cut pile with no backing.

I don’t know if Costo has a line of rugs they always carry like they do sheets and towels. Rugs seem to be seasonal and I now have a multi year supply laid in.

I have a dog friendly listing and bought my throw rugs at Ross. They have different types in all the time; the ones I bought are cotton and go through the washing machine, then I hang them outside on the fence to dry. They’ve been holding up well so far.

1 Like

Ahh! The rubber backed rugs. I have those at the front door. It would seem kind of out of place in the bedroom I would think but I guess not based on your experience.

1 Like

My space is very small. When I use the rubber backed one it’s in the entry near the door.

1 Like

Oh, ok. I was thinking you meant like people often have at the sides and/or foot of the bed when there is no wall to wall carpet.

1 Like

Yes, I have those. I use 24 x 60 runners

But I roll those up and put them away when I have people with dogs. People with dogs get the rubber backed one only. Sorry that wasn’t clear.

Ah, perfect. Thanx for the clarification.

Note, I am all out of hearts for about 7 hours so cannot send the loves as I try to do usually. Time to get to doing other things for me…

2 Likes

All of my rugs are wool rugs. Wool is really easy to vacuum and spot clean and are naturally odor and moisture resistant and last for generations. If you don’t want to spend a ton of money, you can get them second-hand at Salvation Army, Savers, garage sales, etc. They don’t have to be in perfect shape as the design is typically not 100% uniform either because they are handmade or made to look like they are handmade and can also be “vintage” or “antique”. There are plenty in more contemporary styles as well though.

Once again I urge all to visit the ADA site and read the rules. Other than that I hope you never get a complaint filed against because it’s a major PITA. No one is exempt from a complaint filed with the Department of Justice.

2 Likes