Does this sound real?

Airbnb Twitter post. Does this sound real? Travel credit only if host de-listed from Airbnb? (Don’t know if Airbnb delisted host or if host voluntarily quit)

It doesn’t sound real to me.

1 Like

Perhaps the guest cancelled and not the host. So if the host had a strict cancellation policy, they won’t get a refund. Perhaps host told them they can rebook later and gave them a “travel credit.” We’re only hearing half the story. Doesn’t sound like the information is valid.

My first thought is MAYBE Airbnb de-listed host for bad business practices. Feels like guest was scammed and paid to a look-alike site. Airbnb can’t refund $$$ they didn’t receive so tried to offer something to help.

People seem to think being scammed means Airbnb owes them something.

A former co-worker started yelling at me because he started to book a beach house on Airbnb. The host offered him a 30% discount to pay off platform. He did it then was furious when his reservation didn’t exist on Airbnb & host stopped all communication. He was convinced Airbnb owed him a refund.

3 Likes

It sounds within the realm of the Airbnb universe to me.

2 Likes

I doubt that Airbnb offers travel credit to someone who sent money to a scammer with a look-alike fake site. This guest may have simply gotten one of those clueless Airbnb reps who makes incorrect decisions. Or there are missing details to the story.

2 Likes

Frankly, after my own experience as an Airbnb host (they tell me they have issued a “full refund” to the guest, but then only actually offer the guest a travel credit), I would not be surprised at Airbnb keeping guest’s money and offering only a credit if they can get away with it.

4 Likes