Do you take inventory after each guest?

No inventory. Well, I would notice if the bed had gone missing, or a towel I suppose. But certainly no formal inventory. I give and take dishes with each breakfast service. Guests take care of their own mugs/glasses/ silverware. We bought two sets of $15 “silver” ware to have spares, so far haven’t needed them. The guests only see 4 of each on a rack. If one’s missing it’s pretty obvious.

I agree with the sentiment of decorating/supplying your STR with nice but not expensive or name brand stuff – flea markets, charity shops, etc. are fabulous sources for decent inexpensive items.

2 Likes

In my own airbnb (rent 2 rooms in my home) I would know immediately if something was missing. I also clean for another airbnb which is a full home rental and I do a quick inventory at each clean. So far only a steak knife and 2 glasses went missing.

Definitely don’t inventory. I do take a quick look in the cupboards and drawers and make sure certain things are still there (wine opener, butter dish, etc.), but not because I would charge a guest, but because I would replace it if they went missing. I don’t think I would pursue a guest unless they cleaned me out (took all the dishes or something).

No, I don’t; there aren’t enough hours in the day. I’ve had a full set of cutlery for one go, toiletries are a regular, a bath robe, books, hand towels. I count it as the cost of doing business, with the realisation that some people want free souvenirs…

Garden Studio is small and contained so I can’t help but inventory. The most notable missing item was gone after a guest who worked on guest designs for a cruiseline gave me a lot of feedback, which was useful as I had just done everything to meet my deadline and get the place set up. When she left, the small cutting board was missing and it was replaced by a tiny rubber ducky. Otherwise, my house-sized place is always providing small trinkets to people. Once, I decorated a gate with metal flower shapes and they were all gone within 2 months. So were the cupcake magnets from the fridge. As well as a beaded frame 2"x3". Oh well, minimizes any drive to put a lot of bricabrac around.