Do you make rules about candles and other scented products?

I have a no smoking policy which works well so far. As far as candles go, I actually supply a few non scented ones in the room which I point out to guests on the orientation I give are to be used only in the case of a power failure. We get a few throughout the year and living in a rural area, it can get quite dark here.

Yep - I have a no candle rule

Japanese travellers on the Aomori-Tokyo overnight bus opening their dried squid snacks one hour into the journey.

All hosts are different - just my opinion but I only have two rules, no smoking in the apartments and no parties.

I wouldn’t make a rule after every little thing that was annoying or that required a little extra work. For example, I’ve often spoken here about the guests who, inexplicably, left tomatoes under the ottoman. But was I going to add a rule saying ‘no tomatoes under the ottoman’?

Bear in mind though that one of our apartments is right next door to mine and the other is diagonally opposite so I’d see any flickering lights and deal with it there and then.

5 Likes