Do you have an international calling plan to communication w/foreign guests?

You need to have internet, but a person you call to (a guest) doesn’t need to have internet, he/she receives a normal phone call

1 Like

This is a joke, n’est pas? I can’t order a pizza from a hotel without a charge. Now they want to chat half way around the world for free?

Obviously the guest’s wife has an issue with communication, but it should not be at your expense. I had to block long distance on my phone when I had international students.

1 Like

That depends on their data plan. People often only have domestic data plans, so they have to set up international data. It might also cost a fortune. So they might prefer to turn off data roaming and use a wifi hotspot.

1 Like

Again, this depends on someone’s personal setting. If he phone/tablet is set to “automatically connect to known wifi networks” (I think that is what it’s called in iOS), then it reconnects automatically.

1 Like

Hehehe … They so don’t come with any kind of internet. .My god the process I went through to finally understand all these technology thing.
It’s my pleasure to explain. But just for Americans as the rest of the world or almost the rest of the world knows how it works .
So here we in US have plans and internet provider. So everywhere we go in US or abroad we ALWAYS have internet .
But when t we are abroad this is when roaming start Though we still keep on having internet we pay heavily for it unless we have an international plan like T-Mobile has that in many countries it’s free. And we pay just 20 cents per minute on phone calls with same company.
In many countries there is no such thing as " plan". They buy SIM card that is very cheap. For example now I am in Vienna and I bought 10$ worth of data that will last me couple weeks . And this is the first thing travellers should do: buy that Sim.card. Now when I learned that trick as soon as I get off plane,bus,train I run to closest shop that sells them and get one.
In US it’s not that easy or cheap to figure out where and what SIM card to buy. And it’s for sure won’t be 10$ for 2 weeks.

One more thing to add: If your phone waa bought in US be sure it’s unlocked and ready for installing SIM card from Europe for example.
Some phone bought in US are even impossible to unlock anywhere else but US. But there are more expensive versions of phones that you can buy that is 100% unclockss and you can use it anywhere in a world and put SIM card in

1 Like

When you connect to WiFi it doesn’t even matter if you have plan or not. WiFi is totally separate from your plan. You better connect to any WiFi around you present because then you know for sure it’s free, and disconnect that roaming on your phone with a plan

1 Like

Your Australian guest might have a plan. They have a lot in common with us. But I am sure she knows on how to use free internet at your house. Yes when she connects to your WiFi she had it for free. She needs to be sure her i ternet is disconnected. This is how phone companies get you: if free WiFi had bad connection your not free roaming Internet kicks in.

The same with WhatsApp. If free WiFi has glitches and your roaming internet is on this is where charges can apply. So guests have to be sure they turn their internet from their country try off when they connect to your free WiFi.
But again it usually happens with US or Australia or few more super first world countries

Yes, you have to be online to receive a call via WhatsApp. I never knew that Viber has an option of making a call to someone for few cents a minute if they are not on line.

1 Like