Do you eat your guests' leftovers?

I have no problem eating leftovers. However, I don’t eat meat or poultry. My dogs feel extremely fortunate when guests leave meat or poultry behind.

I once had a guest leave 4 plates of uncooked fish they had caught at a previous stay in Tasmania and had only kept in a ice box for 3 days while travelling before staying at mine for 3 nights! As I ask guests to not leave food in the fridge but ask me first if they don’t want to throw it out I left him a bad review, though he was inconsiderate in many other ways.

6 day old fish? Ack… only good for cats.

2 Likes

+1

Everything they leave goes straight in the garbage!

I would used the fruit but would wash it and check it for bite marks, etc. Thing is, you never know when a child or let’s say an hygienic person has put their dirty fingers, hands or gasp… mouths on half eaten food, perhaps with a cold or the flu. This always goes in the bin. When this stuff has been accidentally left behind I have had guests complain.

even unopened tins? An unopened bottle of champagne?

Yum! When are we having a nacho party at your house?

I’ll bring ceviche.

BYO leftover bottles of wine!

1 Like

I love ceviche. When we went to Costa Rica, I ate ceviche from roadside stands much to my husband’s horror. He’s a germaphobe. I’m not.

1 Like

Oh, I loved the ceviche in Costa Rica!

Perhaps it’s all the gut training we did eating questionable guest leftovers that prepared us for foreign street food :wink:

2 Likes

Unless it is obviously a gift for a wonderful stay I might consider keeping a box of chocolates.

I don’t drink, so to throw away unopened champagne is not a problem.
Unopened tins, yep. Garbage. EVERYTHING left by the guest goes in the garbage.

I adore Ceviche and glad to find it all over here in the Pacific Northwest. 30 years ago, on my honeymoon, I ate Ceviche non stop from every street cart in Ixtapa and Zijuatenejo. No problems! The only time I got sick was at a fancy pants hotel eating their melon. Go figure.

I am not squeamish at all. I figure that humans don’t have enough beneficial microbes in their bodies anyway. If I don’t like the looks of some leftovers, I give them to my room mate - he will eat anything. Just had some tasty Thai peanut curry that did not look touched. I leave the jams and syrups down here for guests in their kitchen. Fortunately, most people do not cook here as this is a destination foodie town.

2 Likes

My guests left me beer today. Almost 2 cases. Took it home. I have a beverage refrigerator and now have a huge selection of beer. None of the other food is eaten. All in the trash. I have no idea if it was properly handled or stored. So that unopened package of chicken in the freezer could have been left out or who knows what. When in doubt, throw it out. It is too expensive for me to lose time off work from getting food poisoning.
Guests have left me ‘tips’ of Champagne and wine, CD’s (musicians). And cash! Love that.

1 Like