Do you charge for lost / forgotten items?

Argh. My experience too. No good deed goes unpunished. Why does this seem to be so common!

Well… the only thing worse than no review would be a bad one. Or a meh one.

Yup, I have done favors for guests expecting some glowing review and instead get no mention of the favor and rather a smack down about something else! Nope, just never again.

2 Likes

It’s not always “being careless,” as previously mentioned. Some people have TBI issues or other issues that cause them to lose or forget things. One would think that an easy solution would be to remind them to recheck the space before leaving, but if people could remember that, then they wouldn’t be forgetting the items in the first place. Take this from a person that has been going through menopause for 2 years and spends an inordinate amount of time in a state of controlled confusion.:anguished:

1 Like

True. There are many reasons for being forgetful. But I don’t spend a lot of time these days running around for guests. Have learned doing favors not only doesn’t pay, it can give them one more reason to complain… a ala the story told above by Happy Frog.

I don’t have guests forget very much though.

2 Likes

I REALLY hate to say so but there’s true to it. So many times I went far & beyond to help a guest and it came back at me in the most negative way. The bigger the favor the worse it was.

Thinking of it now, I can’t recall a time when I helped someone and they were super cool about it an mentioned it in any way.

Sad.

4 Likes

You got it. You are getting it,
Better not to go there… just have a blanket rule about it.

1 Like

I spent $3 and a padded envelope to send some earrings my guest had just purchased at a museum and left by the bathroom sink – but ONLY because they have family here and are likely potential repeat customers he-he. Now she thinks I hang the moon . . .

2 Likes

If guests ask, I post things back to them. I add on a fee of what my time is worth to get to the post office and back. I tell them what it will cost and most are happy to pay.
I quite like getting paid to go for a walk to the post office.

I agree that most things you do for guests end up biting you, but I have found that sending their stuff back seems to be an exception. They always mention in reviews how nice I am to do it and I’ve had people say they booked my place because my reviews say I am so nice. ha ha.

Years ago I left something at a hotel and I would have loved to have that returned.
I charge more if the guests are annoying!

3 Likes

We’ve had one guest leave something that we shipped back for exactly what it cost us to ship…nothing more. I think we’ll do the same unless it becomes an ongoing issue, but so far it’s not. I did have one guest, though, ask me about her shoes she thought she left – we’d already cleaned but I went back and turned everything upside down again. No shoes. Days later she texts us – she had them the whole time! :roll_eyes: