Do you also get asked about this by your guests ALL THE TIME?

Hi all, I was very frustrated with one particular exchange with a guest today. He was just being very unreasonable.

Then I got curious, hey why don’t I see what are some of the questions/requests my fellow airbnb hosts get the most often.

I will start (the ones i field the most):

1. can you meet me at xx time and at xx (not close to my place)

2. what is the wifi password (don’t know why people just don’t read email/instructions)

3. cafe and restaurant recommendations

4. can I push check out time back an hour

Looking forward to hearing back from other hosts. Cheers.

Our most frequent questions are:

Is your listing available for these dates? We are only listed on Airbnb and we block our calendar when we don’t want guests, but I understand that some hosts double book in error.

Will I be able to park at your listing for free? In our listing we state that guests may park in our driveway. I think that it’s a good idea for guests to verify that an amenity will be available for them if it’s important to them even if the listing says it will.

What is your address? This used to annoy me until I heard about how difficult it is to navigate Airbnb’s website on a cell phone.

We have Instant Book enabled. I have found that guests who book via Instant Book tend to be more self sufficient.

4 Likes

I don’t think any of those questions would frustrate me :slight_smile:

1. No

2 & 3 - this information and more is in my guest information please have a read through and if you have any additional questions regarding my place feel free to come back and ask

4 Yes sure

Recently I’ve had - someone wanting two rooms when I clearly offer one - then saying she would be happy to sleep on my sofa (I wouldn’t) , someone wanting to bring pets which I don’t allow, wanting to bring children - when I say not suitable for children and want an 8 a.m. check in on a Saturday

1 Like

Guests repeatedly ask about availability, parking and wifi. Guests are not Airbnb guests for a living, they have a life, so I won’t blame them if they don’t remember all the details of an accommodation they booked several weeks ago.

Regarding availability, I can confirm that when you search for an accommodation as a guest, many Airbnb hosts will tell you that their listing is not available. They simply don’t update their calendar and directed me to another of their listings (so it’s not that they do not want to host me).

Regarding restaurants and other recommendations, well, I think that helping guests discover your area is the best part of hosting (second to payout), and that if it bothers you, maybe you should do something else.

5 Likes

No, they don’t bother me.

1. Unfortunately not. But there is a good uber and cab service locally plus we are easily accessed by public transport. Please let me know if you’d like details.

2. There is a card in your apartment giving full details.

3. In your apartment, you’ll find our personal guest manual with plenty of our favourites.

4. I’m sorry but our checkout time is strictly at 11 am because other guests will be arriving in the afternoon.

2 Likes

Hi, what are some of the questions/requests you get asked by your guests frequently?

@sfhost questions don’t bother me at all; my guests can ask away and I will patiently and happily address all of their concerns, regardless if the information is available in the description. Questions do not frustrate one bit. I suppose I’m a curious and inquisitive person myself…

2 Likes

It is natural to become frustrated but such questions, but as Kathryn Hepburn told Humphrey Bogart in The African Queen “Nature, Mr. Olner, is what we are put on this earth to rise above”.

I look at hosting as being a fantastic classroom for learning to be more open, more kind, more patient. Yes, people get confused, yes, they don’t read and if they do they don’t remember. This is a hospitality job, a customer service job. We serve, they pay.

That being said I did change the layout of my listing which has eliminated a lot of questions. Instead of paragraph style it’s bullet points, such as

2 Queen Beds
Private Bath
Breakfast
2 miles from Metro Station
.1 mile from bus stop
Free parking at my house.

Also, I put the wifi password and some ‘rules’ and other information typed on one page and in a pretty frame. I put it in their hands at check-in. Then I have a book with local restaurants, etc, and also put that in someone’s hand.

You may not have the option to do that - but make sure the information is prominent and easy to see - in frames on a kitchen counter, perhaps. I can’t tell you how often I’ve checked into an airbnb and there is nothing at all about the local places that were bragged on in the listing. Very frustrating. I hated having to ask the host, but, how am I supposed to know where the ‘local swimming hole’ is?

And remember - they could choose to stay in a hotel, or any other listing - they chose yours. As frustrating as guests are, I try to remember that it really is an honor that they are giving ME their money.

4 Likes

@sfhost get used to repeating yourself. like alot. even if the information is posted/made clear, they will ask again. its part of the job. Ive gotten better at finding nice ways to say ‘no’ or ‘hmmm, I’ve included some awesome suggestions in my guest guidebook!’

1. I don’t/wouldn’t meet anyone out unless im already out/nearby, and even then i’d be apprehensive for number of reasons; mostly safety, setting boundaries/personal space, time consideration.
  2. I’d recommend sending wifi with confirmation AND listing it (along w/restaurant suggestions) visibly in the rented space for their convenience.
  3. Take some time to complete your ‘guidebook’, then refer them there. If its thorough enough, they’ll find everything they need. *they still will ask, though!
  4. Check out flexibility is one of the perks of not being in a hotel with strict rules imo. That extra hour can mean everything to a traveler. Of course you do wanna leave yourself enough time to prepare for your next guest. I toyed with the idea of charging for late check out, but opted not to. I do, however post the check out time as an hour before i actually need them out, just in case that happens.

good luck!

3 Likes

If it’s mean to remember other hosts that hosting is real people welcoming real people and not just programming an electronic lock and getting a payout, I am glad to be the king of the villains

4 Likes

With few exceptions I’ve learned that guests do not read detailed info on my space’s listing. Or in messages I send to every guest. The longer the message, the less likely they are to read it all.

It’s best to have a hard copy of your WiFi access info and guest book in your space. I haven’t been asked about WiFi info since the moment I put it in the space. I do however still occasionally get asked about restaurants and things to do nearby.

2 Likes