Do you allow cancellations outside your policy?

I know lots of people have it set at moderate, but if you are in a busy tourist location, you will end wasting a lot of time and energy on people who can’t seem to make up their minds and mess you about. At least this way, strict, you get paid for your trouble :slight_smile:

1 Like

You did the right thing by switching it to strict policy. I actually do not think that bad weather is not a legitimate reason for wanting to cancell, not that a host should cancell based on it:)
But only to imagine, people wanted some sun to run away from cold, they are spending all these money just for that ;sun. And instead they have to stay inside because of rain.

I would try to rerent and if succesfully would refund them

@Yana_Agapova they live 2 hours from where they traveled to (my cottage) and neither place is cold, we live in Texas. She was wanting to cancel cause Friday had a chance of rain in the morning. They were checking in at 3pm on Friday and no chance of rain on Saturday. It wasn’t “bad” weather just not sunshine weather. It was this last weekend and there was no rain or clouds at all, so it worked well for them.

Yes, I am glad I switched to strict too! =)

We LOVE our strict policy! Even though I occasionally feel bad, see my post about that, but its definitely worth the peace of mind.

1 Like

I have a strict policy but when people have asked to change existing bookings to less days the Airbnb system seems to offer them the full refund. The first time I just wrote to them that it was too late to refund that day.

Recently a girl wanted to book long-term. She booked 2 weeks initially then stayed somewhere else on arrival as my room was booked. Then she came round to look at my place and said she had fallen in love with the other place so wanted to cancel. She said she would lose half her money and asked me to change my policy. I said I couldn’t as I couldn’t afford the rent without bookings. Then she said she would cancel one week, treat it as a staycation, and not lose money. When she did this through the system it refunded her the whole week she had cancelled not half. I complied as there was possibly time to rebook and I didn’t want to stay with a disgruntled guest but I’m not sure if I’m understanding the system right. Does it need to be a full cancellation to get the 50% back?

What is your weekly rate? Airbnb will take the werkly rate divide it by 7 and charge that amount for each day over the week. Double check.

You’re right that being hard core about this can cost you a negative review (which can be costly, indeed), as well as lost future business. Here’s how I handle refund requests, and it has worked very well for me.

If the cancelation is due to a death, serious illness of one of the travelers, or similar, I let them cancel and give them a refund. If I doubt the story, I ask them to text me the ER bill or some such, but I’ve only doubted it once, and when I asked for the ER bill, she declined, and accepted my compromise offer (described next).

In a case like the one you described, if they give me sufficient notice, I make them an offer that if they cancel their booking right away, I will retain the fees per my policy, but I will apply its cash value to a future booking (which they need to make through the same account), pending availability, of course. I give them 24-hours to decide (and no more) or the offer expires, and I explain that this is because I’m losing the ability to rebook the dates with every day I wait for a decision. This provides incentive for them to go ahead and cancel (so they won’t show up, mad that I wouldn’t let them cancel, and then leave a bad review).

I document the agreement in our message thread, so that when they contact me to make the future booking, I’m reminded of what I offered them; and so that they have confidence that the agreement is documented. The folks I’ve made this arrangement with were super appreciative, and have all come back to use their credit, and have been very flexible about dates. If they decline, then it’s likely they have no intention of ever booking in the future, and that’s one more piece of information you can consider.

If someone asks for a cancellation at the last minute, I tell them to go ahead and cancel, now, and if I’m able to rebook those dates, I will refund them whatever they lost minus a 10% administrative fee for my time and effort. Because their refund is contingent on their canceling right away, they do, and that frees up the dates to rebook. It also eases any worries about angry guests showing up because you wouldn’t cancel their booking, then leaving you a bad review. Sometimes I’m able to rebook (and I refund the money), and sometimes I’m not (and I don’t), or I’m able to rebook some of the dates at a reduced price, and I refund a portion of their losses accordingly. But, either way, the travelers are always appreciative that I made the effort, and I have successfully avoided the potential resentful-guest-in-the-house scenario.

I think finding a compromise that minimizes losses to you and to the guest, wherever possible, is always the best approach. Some of those folks will become loyal, return visitors, and send you referrals, because you’ve shown them that you’re reasonable and willing to work with them toward a win-win solution to a problem. This builds trust. And business.

The principle behind this approach is retaining empathy, but with healthy boundaries. Give and expect respect and compassion.

3 Likes

@AmyB that is a really good idea! This situation turned out ok and she left me a great review (and the sun was shining) but in the future I am going to refer back to your post for options for my guest! Thank you!!

I dont have a weekly rate. They offered her the total refund - 100% refund rather than 50%

I agree with he who said “buyers are liars”.

I’ve learned a lot about boundaries since starting this AirBnB thing. Mainly, they need to be like iron.

My first cancellation was a guy who wanted to drop off some luggage earlier in the day and then go do something things until check in. I said 1pm would be ok, check in is at 3pm. He shows up at about 1130am, has no luggage to drop off, wants a tour of the house, and then never shows back up. Soon I get a cancellation notice.

Dude was clearly ‘showrooming’ my house, found that he’d prefer to stay elsewhere, and then cancelled, saying it was because of work. My cancellation policy was “within 24 hours”. Weeks later, he wants a refund, saying my policy allowed for that.

Well of course it did not. I said I’m sorry there appears to be a misunderstanding, but my policy requires 24 hours advance notice for cancellation refunds. He appeals to AirBnB. They do it out of the kindness of their hearts. I don’t pay for it.

Travelling nurse cancels, I give her half because it really is for work.

But now I don’t bend.

By the way, as far as I can tell, guests who cancel can’t leave feedback. What on earth would they be able to give feedback about lol?

Also, NO EARLY CHECK INS. Never compromising on that again either. Sorry dudes. Your room won’t be ready yet and you’ll be all pissy. No thank you.

When peeps tell me when they’ll be getting into town, I always say, “Sounds great. Check in begins at 3pm.”

Can I check in early? “I’m so sorry, but the room won’t be ready before 3pm.”

Can I drop off my luggage? “I’m so sorry, I won’t be available earlier in the day to help you with that.”

I don’t say yes to anything unless it suits me to. Same thing a regular hotel would do. This is a business. I don’t know these people.

And those who cancel can’t give feedback, so no refund.

2 Likes

This was helpful today. A guest is stranded at the airport in Shanghai. I told her I would refund if I re-book, but honestly, I don’t want to go through the hassle of trying to re-book. I haven’t had much experience at cancellations so wasn’t quick enough to say ‘less 10%’. Though my prices are low so I would make it 20%.

This is where empathy is NOT a friend, lol!!! I would hate being stuck in the airport in Shanghai! She was saying she’s been looking forward to her stay in DC for a long time - though they were only going to be here for one night.

If anyone wants to chime in and tell me that it’s OK to not refund, I’d be grateful.

I remember when we let my daughter ‘cry it out’ so she would learn to sleep through the night. It was, of course, so hard to listen to her cry. Especially as, when she was born, she had problems with her lungs so couldn’t cry as she was on a ventilator. But I finally thought “someone has to be unhappy, and tonight, it’s her turn”.

So in this situation, someone has to lose $150 - and today, it’s the guest’s turn…

Has anyone had the situation where Airbnb refunds the guest because of flight delays? She did say they were staying at a hotel paid for by the airline. So at least, for now, she’s not paying additional.

Well, that’s what travel insurance is for. Sucks but those things happen. So I guess what I’m saying is no I don’t.

1 Like

When you are booking a non refundable hotel, do you get your money back if you cancel?

Me never…so why doing it?

I think being a decent human being with a good moral compass is an important counterbalance to just doing what hotels do. That doesn’t mean you sacrifice yourself, since you have to be decent to yourself, too. By this principle, since the airline covered the cost of their hotel, they are out nothing, so you will BOTH be well taken care of if you do not refund their money. In this case, I see no reason to refund their money. If you did, they would be profiting from the misfortune, while you would lose out. If they’re reasonable people, this will make sense to them, too.

1 Like

By the way, I just hosted the Chinese family who canceled their stay three years ago due to their son’s broken arm. They said they planned to make the trip when their son’s arm healed. I didn’t refund their payment back then, but I offered them a future visit at no charge. They just took me up on it, three years later. What a lovely family they were! I totally adored them, kids and parents alike, and I’m so glad I gave them that option. However, I’m also glad I didn’t refund their money, since the wife let it slip toward the end of their stay that their son didn’t break his arm, and they had made the trip, after all, and stayed in San Francisco. People aren’t always honest about the reasons they’re requesting to cancel, even very nice people. Airbnb will sometimes grant a full refund (and just take it from your account) to guests who cancel on the basis of a death in the family or a medical reason, but I think they have to supply proof to Airbnb. So yes, be compassionate and decent, but be aware that you will sometimes be manipulated, even by otherwise pleasant people.

I am speechless - seriously?!

1 Like

I’ll say it: It’s okay not to refund. It’s okay not to refund. It’s okay not to refund. It’s okay not to refund.

If you are feeling guilty just remind yourself that no hotel would block off all their rooms for one guest, and then allow that one guest cancel last minute with a full refund.

The same as no restaurant would allow someone to reserve the entire restaurant for a private party, and then refund all of their money because the event couldn’t take place.

That basement apartment of yours is the same as all the rooms in a hotel. They can afford to refund one room out of 50 at their discretion. But they would never ever refund 100% of their potential income for one night.

Do you feel better now…?? - lol.

2 Likes

Yes, really. During a conversation with her and her husband (kids present) about whether they had ever visited San Francisco before, she said “Yes, three years ago,” apparently forgetting the timing of her cancellation with me. I said something to the effect of “Did your son’s arm heal well, no problems?” She looked utterly confused, searching her memory, so I knew in that moment she had lied. Her husband said, “No, our son didn’t break his arm.” In that moment, I thought I must have misremembered the situation. I said, “Oh, I guess I misremembered, maybe he was sick?” She looked at him, back & forth, then she said, “Oh, yea, maybe he was sick.” When I checked the message thread later, yep, they had said within the thread that he broke his arm and the doctor had advised them against traveling while it healed.

You are far more generous than I am. I would be highly annoyed…

I usually refund the money but only after they cancel and new guests will book in this period. Guests have probably a good reason to cancel. If I dont get other guests though, I wont refund. But I usually get other guests.

1 Like