Do you allow babysitters?

I do too… and never knew the history until I stayed in one. Apparently, they were the carriage houses for the posh mansions that once stood there and are now all gone. Hers is a three-story townhouse… with the kitchen and parlor at the top. Just fantastic… wonderful location, and happily, open to having friends come to stay. She doesn’t show you around London though. you are on your own… which was all right by us!

1 Like

What idiot would leave their child to a complete stranger to look after… I would say it goes against house policy to have non paying guest in house and it goes against your code of safe practice…

These people need to go to a hotel. Don’t worry about saying no. And anyone who is just visiting and is not a paying guest is covered under standard homeowners insurance.

whats with the yellow paint

No idea… must have used it to mark areas for repairs I would imagine.

Restricted parking. You can see that there’s one on the other side on the road just below the nearside rear tyre of the blue car. Every inch of parking in London is valuable :slight_smile:

I didn’t know that!! These are mews homes in Ennismore Mews… My friend had a place to park her car on the first floor, which she really only needed when traveling to her country estate…which she has since sold.

Yep - mews houses are converted stables with living accommodation above. What used to be the stables are usually converted into garages. You can see a couple of garage doors in the pic.

Considering they were once stinky stables, mews houses are very posh these days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since the mews houses are so posh now, one can only wonder what the original mansions looked like, and why are they all gone?

My friend has sold this mews house and will be leaving London in a few months! Darn, where shall I stay now???

I bet we have some London hosts here who’ll be able to suggest some cool places but not for free :wink:

I suspect that a lot of the mansions are now hotels, embassies, museums and places like that. There’s still some lovely architecture in London. WW2 was probably responsible for the destruction of many though, too

1 Like

They are historic, with only a few left in existence apparently.

1 Like

yeah a few are hotels or hostels - there are quite a few in that part of London. The local council tends to put homeless people in them / not intentionally homeless (i.e . Councils have a obligation to rehouse people whose landlords have kicked them out for whatever reason or homeless people with children - there aren’t enough council/state homes to put people in so its a bit of a crisis. Lots of families are in these one bed ‘hotels’ for years.

1 Like