Do I need to get permission or just inform for lawn mowing etc?

She’s a loony. I wouldn’t bother putting in new rules just on the off chance someone like this stayed at my house. She will just find another reason to be unhappy.

5 Likes

Airbnb did this to themselves. Budget minded people with limited travel experience are compelled to rant and critique over multiple questions. Horrible.

4 Likes

OMG !!! I have never heard of that phrase and just googled it !
Nada, zilch, zero anything “passive” about the AirBnB income. yeesh
I feel for the person who would dare say I am making easy $$. They would get enlightened pronto from me. No mercy

5 Likes

I let them know at check-in if I expect anything will need to be done during their stay and that I will certainly give them notice (I am usually the only one doing anything and if I have to have a pro come in I accompany them even if the guest says it doesn’t need to done). I actually just got a review that talked about these exact things…
I also tell them they need to let me know when the trash or recycling I almost full so I can come empty them for them. I pay for being able to dump in my county landfill as part of my property tax so I don’t pay more to have someone do a scheduled pick it up when I have a trailer to take it in so it’s not in my car. It also allows me to inspect at least from the outside if they don’t want the inside trash And recycling taken too.

I also offer to let their pets outside to potty if I am there doing yard work as well…letting them know that I will certainly not take offense if they decline. Most of the time they say yes.

2 Likes

People can be crazy, and logic does not prevail when their idea of perfection is violated. A new neighbor in my area complained to me that they heard garbage trucks in the early morning hours, and commented that certainly we should all ask that they show up at a different time in the day so they could sleep better. Closing the window was not an option for this person, apparently, And the fact of the three different garbage companies schedule these pick ups outside of business hours to keep the streets free and keep people who don’t want to be disturbed during the day free from their congestion did not register with this person. When I was asked why the whole neighborhood didn’t join in And “complain” about this, I merely commented with 24 hours in a day, there will always be a time that’s inconvenient for someone.

4 Likes

If there’s no reason to alert the guests, let alone ask for permission, if the tasks can be performed without your son entering the home. We manage 23 listings. Grass is cut every 10 days without notification, trash bins are moved out the day before collection without notification. These are part of maintenance that need to happen regularly and shouldn’t have to be scheduled with a guest.

5 Likes

Yes—Also some people feel compelled to just complain. Maybe they are jealous of what someone else has so they need to tear it down. Also maybe they don’t really have anything to talk about so they whine.

Some complaints are real and should be considered. —I’m talking about the petty whine-y comments.

1 Like

I have a swimming pool. To mow the lawn while guests are swimming in their “private pool” would infringe on the enjoyment of the main amenity. Could cost me serious brownie points if I just show up and start weed whacking without prior arrangements / discussion.

2 Likes

“/discussion” is a bit short-sighted and premature.

Less than .5% of short term rentals have pools, that makes it a very valuable amenity and the exception, not the rule.

Certainly, with a pool I’d make special arrangements, as guests are likely paying a premium and a special rate for that amenity. I don’t think we’re talking about outliers here though, as outliers and special circumstances exist in every line of business and entirely across the spectrum.

Maybe save the snark next time, it’s a better look.

1 Like

My “pool” amenity is the fenced in back yard, mostly used by dogs. If a guest has dogs I will definitely inform them of when I will expect to be mowing it and make an effort for it to be convenient for the guest. The front yard I only try to coordinate a time with the guest is if they are day sleepers or have informed me that they are there to work from home as I would try to avoid when they were in a remote conference.

However, in general I will inform and adjust when convenient if the guest asks.

2 Likes