Do "hope all is ok" messages result in more complaints?

For every host it will be different. I tend to get guests who do read the listing info and I have never had a guest complain, but if I get a booking request message that gives no indication that the guest has read the info (like a message that just says “Looking forward to coming”) or even as a matter of course, my question to guests is “Just want to make sure you are aware that there are pets on the property and that it’s a 20 minute walk into town and the beach”.

I use those 2 things because they could be deal breakers for guests, and are mentioned not front and center- they would have had to read through the listing info to see that.

Some other hosts might think this is overkill (and it’s not all my house rules) but here’s what I include - when sending the message I leave a large space between the important check in info and put a line before adding this:

House Amenities and some House Rules:

1. Check in message - You will receive a welcome message checking to make sure that you are happy with your accommodations and to see if you have any concerns.

PLEASE respond to this message. If there is a problem, please communicate via the airbnb app to let us know. We want to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

1. We provide filtered water, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, creamer, sugar, and snacks to get you started. The kitchenette includes a toaster oven, microwave, coffee maker, elec. tea kettle, and mini-refrigerator.

2. Per listing there is no kitchen sink so we provide paper plates, and plastic cups and utensils. There is also toilet paper, shampoo, conditioner, and body gel in the bathroom. When removing makeup, please use the gray washcloths.

3. The manual is on kitchen table and includes wifi info on the cover, transportation suggestions, restaurants, grocery stores, medical needs, etc. If you order food delivery don’t forget to give them the instruction on finding the house. Other option is to just give them the address XX Slayton Road and then watch the app and when they are getting close, walk outside to meet the driver.

4. Quiet Time is between 10 pm and 6 am. You are welcome to watch tv, listen to music, talk, etc. We just asked that you be mindful that people are sleeping below and walk quietly.

5. Cooling in the Summer- There are window Air Condition (AC) unit installed in the bedroom and den that are capable of cooling the suite. When leaving the suite, please shut of the AC to help keep consumption of energy down. If left on, we will shut them off from the main circuit breaker in the basement. There are also ceiling fans in the bedroom and kitchen and an oscillating fan in the den.

6. ** If you check in or come in late, please walk up the stairs quietly.

7. Check-out time is 10 am. PLEASE send us a message through the Airbnb app when you have checked out.

8. Please store ALL luggage, backpacks, etc on the luggage racks provided. Shoe racks are below the luggage racks. a) Please do NOT put luggage that has been outside on the clean beds. Please do not leave dirty clothes on the floor. This helps use keep a pest free suite.

9. ✷PLEASE DO NOT HANG WET TOWELS on the poster bed, dining room chairs or doors.) Hang up your wet towels on the hooks behind the bathroom door. When leaving, PLEASE DO NOT strip the beds and leave out any extra blankets and pillows that you used.

10. During COVID only registered guests are allowed in the suite - no guests.

11. ***When leaving the suite, please shut off all lights, fans, air conditioners and appliances surge protector strips and shut the front door to your suite and the red front door to the house.

Welcome to Melrose and the Greater Boston Area.

jumping in here cos i have this same situation, and it’s in my “extra info post check in msg” that i send around 2pm on day of check in. I don’t always know if the guest has arrived so I keep it vague and say " today is check in day and we wanted to let you know the Cottage is ready for your arrival. Here is some extra settling-in info for you; the bedroom light switch is behind the wardrobe, extra pillow and warm blanket is in the wardrobe "

guests can, understandably, never find the bedroom switch and even though it’s in the manual they were all asking me about it, so i put it in this welcome message. I include other info about how to get to the pool and tennis court and where to find towels and rackets (this info is in the guest manual too, but was another question i was being asked often), and I might customise the msg further with some seasonal info if needed. I remind them that the dogs are out and might come over for a pat and then let them know we are available if anything is missing or they have any further questions. I avoid any language that encourages them to specifically look for problems.

1 Like