Disturbing info about new guest review form

For anyone who doesn’t regularly read the Airbnb CC forum, you might want to check this out. More terrible anti-host stuff from Airbnb.

This is so discouraging. Right now I haven’t received a booking in over a month and have only two in December and nothing else.

I did a search today for my STR in only my home town. (I usually do Boston and filter for price) but what I discovered (and this is only anidotially) that with price being equal, the folks that have a higher rating come up higher but I have 450 reviews at a 9.4 vs the others that have 5.0 but with 3-5 reviews. How is that fair?

My last guest filled out the extensive amount of questions and yes, one was flexible checkin.

So, host get 3 questions and guests, if they choose get about 20-25.

Check-in

• Responsive host

• Clear instructions

• Easy to find

• Easy to get inside

+2 more

Cleanliness

• Spotless furniture & linens

• Free of clutter

• Squeaky-clean bathroom

Accuracy

• Looked like the photos

• Matched the description

• Had listed amenities & services

Communication

• Always responsive

• Local recommendations

• Proactive

• Helpful instructions

+1 more

• Peaceful

• Beautiful surroundings

• Private

• Great restaurants

+2 more

Value

1 Like

Many guests don’t bother to review and they don’t bother with all these questions.

They have expanded the comments that hosts can leave and then they show those comments on the review that other hosts can see. I didn’t count the number of questions I was asked but I did make comments on the problem guest and so did another recent host. That’s a great improvment. Of course it only works with the hosts who leave reviews.

I review every host and it seems like about one third of hosts don’t bother to review their guests.

A third? Wow. That seems really high. I had no idea so many hosts don’t bother to review.

Every place I’ve ever stayed I’ve reviewed and they have reviewed me, probably upwards of 25, but I imagine things are changing. Last couple times as a guest I haven’t done the extended questions.

Haven’t seen the expanded comments for hosts.

Since Sept of 2021 I’ve stayed in 11 Airbnbs, 3 hosts didn’t leave a review. So maybe it’s closer to a quarter. I have more stays going back 9 years, I’m not going to check them all, but it feels like about a third. I know that my stays were all problem free. Think of all the hosts who say "I’m not going to review if “they don’t review me first, I don’t have anything bad to say, or don’t have anything good to say, etc.” It must be at least a third.

Only asterisk might be if the corporate hosts who use software to automate reviews leave more reviews? I stay mostly with hosts who live on the property, manage them themselves, have only one or two properties.

1 Like

It’s mentioned in comments at the OP posted link, but I just stayed in an Airbnb and noticed, to my horror, the new word descriptions under the rating stars – 5 = Great, 4 = Good.

I’ve had 2 guests who had no reviews, but whose profiles showed them as members for a couple years, who said they had had stays, but the host didn’t review. They were great guests, I can’t imagine their past hosts were conflicted about having to leave a negative review, so I guess they were just lazy hosts.

I have given at least 3 guests their first review, which felt good to do, as they were all good guests. It’s the least I can do for a nice, hassle-free guest who put money in my pocket.

1 Like