Discriminatory house rule

Just up the road from you @Joan :grinning:

The hosts here attempted to ban “fat” folks from renting, and actually had it in their house rules. A weight limit of 100kg per person!

Is does look as though it’s been pulled by Airbnb, and quite rightly so.

What a pair of zoomers!

JF

5 Likes

Hmmmm, I can understand where they are coming from, I had a fibreglass shower base That ended up cracked and leaking after some guests stayed. Now replaced after 2 major repairs

2 Likes

Seen those crack and break under “normal” use, would never fit one again. We’ve got ceramic throughout all our properties.

JF

1 Like

yep - brand new bathroom - no more fibreglass!!
3C0847F6-4F2B-47D7-8096-72FE2A85D23B|375x500

2 Likes

We had a member here do the same a few years ago. His listing said no obese people, he told people to look up the definition of obese and he also prohibited pregnant women. He had a few other oddities about him. He never had his listing removed. He just removed the discriminatory language from the listing.

2 Likes

Unusually polite for you @JohnF!

Not only would Mr Joan be unable to stay, quite a lot of our friends from the rugby club would be classed as “eating disordered”, including some of the Lionesses.

We have a friend who lives just a few doors away in a similar cottage. The hosts were foolish to allow photos to be taken with a fisheye lens, as these cottages are very small, bijou small, with very narrow , steep stairwells. They’d definitely get dinged on accuracy, as the bedrooms are much smaller than they appear in the pics.

So the house dates back to the 1500s, and there are houses in Sandwich dating back to the 12th century, all with oak beams, all lived in, many from decommissioned ships. They are still standing.

I shall be less polite; what twats.

All they needed was an accurate description/photos, and to point out that some people might find the house too small for comfort.

I have oak beams in the kitchen and dining room, with some very low ceilings. I do warn that taller people will need to remember to duck in places to avoid a head bashing, but I certainly don’t tell them they can’t book.

I’ve just spoken to our friend. She says that all the people who live nearby will be overjoyed if the listing disappears for ever, as they have all suffered a raft of anti social
behaviour from guests late at night, particularly since lock down was lifted.

2 Likes

It was, I’ll try and do better in future.

Didn’t Airbnb classify images like that as “misleading”? I had a quick scout through T&C’s but couldn’t find the particular passage I remember.

I’m off up the museum today, with a archaeologist friend who knows the staff quite well, and I’m hoping to get a more definitive date of construction for our place. At the moment we know it was here, as two separate houses, in 1779, but as the street dates from the early 1500’s, it may have been here earlier.

We’ve got a lot of wooden beams, in fact we could build an ark we have so many, and even though some are in not the best condition, they are perfectly safe. It’s the smaller auxiliary ones that are my main problem. Replaced three in the roof yesterday, just in time I think:

So, I think we can safely say these hosts just didn’t like “big” people :grinning:

JF

4 Likes

18 stairs to the B&B floor from the front steps. That sorts them out.

8 Likes

In our old house (converted Church) we had 25 spiral stairs to our own floor, with another 25 to the top floor. That soon sorted us out, but not until we’d replaced two bathrooms with wet rooms.

That was the one and only time I ever let Mr Joan have his way with regard to where we live.

My knees have never recovered: one of our neighbours had hers replaced a year ago. They are looking to sell.

1 Like

I had a similar conversation with a host neighbor. She & her husband purchased 3rd floor walk-up with spiral stairs to a sleeping loft many years ago. She said they are trying to figure out what to do because she is having difficulty with the steps.

Plus she thinks the steps contributed to greatly reduced rentals this year. So few travelers, so many empty rentals available…

At the age of 30 I was looking to buy my first home and my 60 year old mother told me not to buy a 2 story house. I’d already lived in one while I was married. So I did indeed buy a single story house and am ever grateful. I will say, however, that as long as you can do stairs they are good exercise. If one can afford to move after they get older, or like moving, then go for it.

3 Likes

I wish somebody would’ve told me that when I bought my house at age 27. My wife and I both wanted a 2-story house. After watching our parents’ difficulties with climbing stairs in their homes, we realized it would eventually be a problem for us. Our listing is 1-story and one of the reasons we bought it was to move into it before stairs become a problem for us.

3 Likes

Luckily I was finally to the age where I was starting to listen to my mom.:smile:

There is a cultural issue with one story houses in the UK, otherwise known as bungalows.
When we were looking for somewhere to buy, post Church, Mr Joan kept trying to get me to look at bungalows. Never, The cultural issue is that that is where you go to die, when you are on your last legs, pardon the inadvertent pun. I called them “coffins” and not on my life, ever.

Where we did move to, I’m eternally glad about; a large garden, only 9 stairs to climb (x two staircases…) and I’m fitter than I was post Church. Although my knees aren’t.

The odd thing is that I’m happily looking at “bungalows” in Portugal. They don’t carry the same cultural connotation of a coffin.

3 Likes

When I was reviewing my hard copy notes of my patella reconstruction after tripping over one of my dogs, the Ortho Dr said I was “almost over nourished”. hahahahaha - He should see me now!!

2 Likes

That is unfortunate. Some of those companies are not good in their instructions that the bases must be installed with a mud bed underneath to support them fully end-to-end. Then, they can not flex at all and hold up pretty well.

1 Like

I am sorry I agree with the homeowners. I really have no reason to talk as I am 198 cm and 116 kilos. (American)… Americans are the fattest people on earth (weight challenged). I have gone through 12 chairs in 2 years. I decided to buy aluminum and metal chairs even though they aren’t as attractive. Some of my chairs were antiques and cost around $200. I have had 3 broken beds. At a minimum, we should be able to charge more for fatties as they are more costly to accommodate. My newest airbnb purchase, in the mountains of Big Bear California, has 50 stairs to get to the top. I figure it will weed out the out of shape and I can go with lighter, more expensive chairs and beds.

1 Like

Don’t get me going about having to sit on a plane next to someone who takes half of the seats on either side of him…

4 Likes

You’re right. You have no reason to talk negatively about people who are heavier. Nor can you assume that people who weigh more are necessarily in bad shape and therefore likely to eschew your 50 steps property. Instead, you should simply plan for people of a wide range of weights.

And no one should refer to anyone as “fatties.” How insulting.

10 Likes

I think that @bigjake1030 is talking about people who are obese and not folks who merely weigh “more”. It is safe to assume that obese people are necessarily in bad shape. It’s a medical diagnosis with known symptoms (including all the stuff that makes someone be in bad shape, like joint issues, high blood pressure, heart problems, diabetes, sleep apnea and even some cancers),

I agree with you that no one should be insulted, especially for a medical condition, and that “fatties” is terribly insulting. However, it doesn’t help anyone to pretend that obesity isn’t a disease, because it is. And, in the US, it is our foremost public health concern. It is classified as an epidemic and kills twice as many people every year in the US than Covid has so far.

4 Likes