Discrimination?

So I recently changed my listings to not suitable for infants and children. I got a request to book last night from a family with 3 kids. I asked how old they were and she responded 10, 9 and 1

I responded that unfortunately the cabin is not suitable for kids and to please withdraw the request. They responded with one word, why?

I responded that unfortunately the last few families with kids either left huge messes or caused damages and we are choosing not to host kids going forward. They withdrew the request.

Now I am worried I should have been more vague, just talked about safety items, steep stairs and stuff.

Hopefully they do not complain to Air, but if they do I fear some CS agent will interpret this as some sort of discrimination. Does anyone here have any experiences like this?

Thanks

RR

1 Like

This.

It’s what we do, and i suppose we’re exaggerating slightly with stuff being a “danger” to younger children, but we simply don’t want them (the parents that is!).

JF

3 Likes

You also could have played dumb and said “So that it clears my calendar.” In other words, answer why they should withdraw the request not why you don’t host children. LOL.

10 Likes

I am wondering why it was a request to book… Could it be that because I do not allow children it would not allow IB? The guest had one positive review, I do not require reviews or anything else for IB.

It was tempting to just push the accept button, 4 day booking over $1000 payout but in the end I have made the decision and am sticking to it. It was for new years so I expect it will get booked anyway.

RR

5 Likes

You can always tell people a child was previously injured on the property. It wouldn’t be a lie.

1 Like

Oh absolutely!! They turn their backs for one second and junior is off and running into the canal, getting cut by oysters and barnacles, no way up from the dock… or drowning in the pool.

Nope. Nope. Nopeity Nope.

3 Likes

If you only knew… The plumber told me a story from 40 years ago…

RR

1 Like

That’s what I do. And being Florida unfenced waterfront it’s easy to say “and you never know what could be lurking in the canal…”

Works every time.

:crocodile: :crocodile: :crocodile:

6 Likes

Safety items are the key:
Cleaning products may be stored under sinks
No cabinet locks
Hard tile floors (fall and could get hurt)
Furniture corners not covered
Outlets not covered

6 Likes

Someone is coming at Christmas with a 3 year old. I wish I’d denied them but I lost track and didn’t inquire further until 2 months after the booking was made so I’m sucking it up. That being said, in this case, I might have just said,“Because I said so.” :joy:

I’m kidding. That was one of those dream segments where I imagine doing something but don’t really.

Really though, I think I’d say,“We have had several incidents to lead us to this determination. Safety is paramount to us and so we do not deviate from our policy.”

Vague. Not untrue (ok, so the incidents are lazy parents and messy kids, but incidents none the less). And I do believe we all have safety as #1 on our list because who wants to be sued, right?

2 Likes

All legit. I have to say, though, every single time I have ticked off lists like this while trying to convince a parent not to book, they have a comeback for every single one. I think the vague, non-refutable reply is my go-to with the exception of child-munching things crawling out of canals. I like that @jaquo! If only I had a canal.

3 Likes

Don’t forget that you can call that harassment and block them. I figured this out when I was dealing with a very argumenative parent trying to tell me that it’s illegal for me to discriminate based on familial status (it’s not illegal for me, I fall under the exemptions).

She started sending me screenshots of the Fair Housing Act and I got a pop-up from the Airbnb system that said, “This guest appears to be harassing, would you like to block them?”. I looked for the “Hell yeah” button but settled for clicking “Yes” and that was the end of it.

10 Likes

You reasons are perfect. You already know that being honest is not in your interest.
We love the “blame the 3rd party” (insurance) whenever possible, regardless of the truth or what the policy states. No one, including Air, can demand to see it and must accept your polite “Sorry but our insurance policy prohibits X and we wish you luck”.

4 Likes

This is the first time I’ve heard of this existing and it’s good to hear.

5 Likes

Wow. Surprising that they did their job and didn’t suspend you pending review. Score 1 for Air CS.

2 Likes

Why would they suspend me? For what? The guest was harassing me, not the other way around.

1 Like

I have the intracoastal waterway—no fencing, only edge bushes to make access less easy. Alligators occasionally cruise across and hang out. Supposedly gators occasionally cruise through salt water to rid of skin parasites. Bull sharks are common. New construction is causing snakes & coy-wolves to relocate so they’ve been spotted in the neighborhood.

3 Likes

FYI. I will look for it. A document about FHA said: Fair housing act applies to LTR. STR is a guided by a different set of rules. ADA applies LTR & STR

Found it: Housing Provider Obligations Under the FHA and ADA: Do I Need to Allow Service & Assistance Animals in My Short-Term Rental? | Berg Hill Greenleaf Ruscitti, LLP

1 Like

Aside from dolphins, manatees, mullet, the random osprey singing, we get bull sharks.

:shark: :shark: :shark:

Unfenced to the canal here, too.

2 Likes

cause they are stupid and capricious? glad it didnt happen!