Discrimination against LGBT guests among some Italian hosts?

My partner and I are planning a trip to Italy and Greece. I sent a few inquiries, and I got a straight decline from a couple of hosts in Italy, even though their calendar is open. When I suggested they should update their calendar to reflect the unavailability, there was no more reply. I haven’t had such experience with any hosts from all the countries I traveled to. Thoughts?

You know that’s unfortunate that there is people like that. I myself do not discrimate against LGBT but to be honest every host has the right to discrimate against who they let into their home. If they are not ok with it than just keep seacrhing. Not every host is going to invite you to stay with them and they do not have to.

1 Like

I am not upset about being rejected. I just thought it’s an interesting topic that Italy may be more homophobic than most of the European countries. I have two gay friends left Italy, married Americans, still not in good term with their families.

I am a host in Italy, originally from NYC, I have lived here 20 years.
I do discriminate if my guests seem too “high maintenance”
(those who ask a ton of questions or not seasoned travellers), simply because
I don’t have a lot time.
I have never found Italians homophobic, actually in every category they are
much more open minded than most Americans I meet when I am travelling in the states.

I would, however, agree that Italians tend to be unorganised!

Consider “what happened vs/= what did you make it mean”

6 Likes

I have wondered the same thing about African American guests seeking accommodations in the U.S. Do they have higher rejection rates from hosts? Muslims? I see AirBNB as a site that is likely to exhibit discriminatory practices that reflect the individual prejudices of owners who aren’t held to same standards of businesses. This is a major pitfall of the sharing economy.

Gettingbetter – hope you find some great accommodations!

thanks, chicagohost, there are tons of hosts more welcoming than these few.

Elizabeth, I was not trying to generalize Italian hosts, that’s why I carefully chose the wording ‘among some Italian hosts’. I brought that up because Italy is the center of Catholics, still struggling with the reality of same-sex marriage and gay rights. I wonder how much religion plays in this phenomenon. My brother-in-law (he’s straight) lives in France now, and he’s traveling in most of European countries, he mentioned that he does not particularly like traveling in Italy. I’d sit and talk with him more next time.

As we are speaking, I got a decline from another Italian host, no word why. I am a superhost myself, had over 50 reviews on my listing, and 10+ as guests traveling all over the world.

I am a gay guy myself. My partner and I (we’re French) travel to Italy for at least a month each year and we never had a problem, all locals we met were friendly. My partner who lived in Italy in the past tells me that it may be more complicated in southern Italy (Calabria/Sicilia) though.

2 Likes

I sent inquiries to hosts in four Italian cities, and two Greek cities (three to fours hosts in each city). I got four declines (without a word) from Italian hosts so far, almost another one third of Italian hosts did not respond (don’t they care about response rate at all?). On the Greece side, every single host immediately responded, and offer airport pickup (free or with a charge).
I don’t think that’s a coincidence. As I mentioned above, I am a Superhost, had over 50 reviews on my listing, and 10+ as guests traveling all over the world. I can’t think of any other reason why I was declined by Italian hosts with such a high percentage.

Ok, well, I’m sorry about that.
if you come to Bologna you are certainly welcome to stay with us!
(Converted Convent in Centro Storico)

1 Like

Thanks,Elizabeth :smile:

If you are experiencing discrimination I am so sorry for that. However I say IF because you can never know for sure. I have declined a few people when my calendar was open. Once I thought I had closed it to have family stay, so the booking was not possible (I guess I did not press save information?). Another time the booking was in the middle of a long period of open and I was holding out for a longer booking, which I got. One additional time I realized I would not have been able to turn the room around fast enough for the new guest and instead of risk a bad review I decided to pass on the booking. None of us want to get flamed for not being ready when a guest arrives. I don’t mean that none of the requests were declined for the reason you stated, however there are many reasons to turn down bookings. I think that this may be better than taking your money and making you feel uncomfortable in their home for XXXX days.
I am overweight. Some people are phobic of heavy people, no joke. It would be easy for me to start thinking that that is the reason for all rejection I suffer in the course of a normal life. It is the reason for some, however I will never know the exact percentage unless they tell me “You are too fat to be around me.” I try to remember that the person discriminating, on any difference, is the limited one.

We welcome all people and if you are ever in Oregon you have a night free with us! We would love to hear of your world travels and all the great people you met.

2 Likes

You are correct. I lived in Italy, speak Italian, and go to Italy every other year. I have many italian friends here in states. Italians are more prejudice about many things. Family status, religion, skin color and so on.

1 Like

More prejudice than whom?

1 Like

Than many nations. I love Italy and its people and have long time Italian friends here in states. I keep them to practice my Italian:). But even they admit it that this is how it is with Italians when it comes to " outsiders". Italy in general is more traditional that other countries I went to.
Younger generation of course is more in tune with history but many are so behind when it comes to gay acceptance and people of color.

It’s not just guests who experience challenges.
We are Superhosts and are two guys. We are thrilled to say that our guests have been wonderful with us. Many ask how long we have been together etc.

BUT we have also received a DEATH THREAT from a young overseas couple who had spent a week with us and clearly took objection to our orientation. Religion as well as culture appear to have played roles in this. During their stay, things were really uncomfortable, but we had no idea what was wrong.

It wasn’t until after they left that they sent us a message warning us that they would come and sort us out on their next trip to our city. The language was graphic. It was absolutely frightening. Here’s hoping nothing comes of it.

As hosts, we often feel exposed and vulnerable. Our guests know where we live, where we work, our movements, our home, our alarm code, have access to our keys etc… We’re on show and we get reviewed and rated. It can be unsettling at times…

That is totally horrible but try not to worry. These people are just cyberbullies. As my old mum would have said ‘all talk and no trousers’.

In 1996 I was a member of an online forum where some idiot told me that he was going to find me (and it’s true that he could have located me via my profile info) and slash my face. All I had done was argue mildly with him when he said that women are useless at driving.

Silly, silly people.

But be sure that you have a screenshot of the message and (if they were Airbnb guests) report them at once.

2 Likes

Bloody hell, that’s terrifying. Especially as you had these people in your home for a week. Please report it to the police, it’s probably all talk but who knows

I would file a report with the police just in case they actually do show up at your house one day. This is horrifying to me, and I am so sorry that you were subjected to such hate. That isn’t part of our hospitality as AirBNB hosts. I would also flag their profile on AirBNB and submit a request that they review this message.

Definitely. I had a similar situation many years ago (long story - it will be in my autobiography :slight_smile: )

I reported it to the police and then let the threatener know that I’d done so.

[quote=“Sandra_Dodd, post:11, topic:2961”]
If you are experiencing discrimination I am so sorry for that. However I say IF because you can never know for sure. I have declined a few people when my calendar was open. Once I thought I had closed it to have family stay, so the booking was not possible (I guess I did not press save information?). Another time the booking was in the middle of a long period of open and I was holding out for a longer booking, which I got. One additional time I realized I would not have been able to turn the room around fast enough for the new guest and instead of risk a bad review I decided to pass on the booking. None of us want to get flamed for not being ready when a guest arrives. I don’t mean that none of the requests were declined for the reason you stated, however there are many reasons to turn down bookings. [/quote]

I understand there might be good reasons to decline guests, but in that case I think it shows respect to send a short message apologizing to the person you declined, maybe with some explanation why you are declining. The explanation of why you decline can always be an outright lie, but al least your potential guest won’t be left with a bad feeling, not knowing why they got rejected. This is what happened to @gettingBetter.

@gettingBetter Italy is a macho culture, that might be more “outspoken” against things they do not understand. I know a Italian - Belgian couple, where the girl wanted to name their son “Oscar”, but the guy didn’t like the name because that name would make his son gay :confounded:. This Italian guy is from Rome, highly educated, has lived in the USA, England and Belgium,… Someone you would expect to have a more open liberal mind, but no. Of course not all Italians are conservative, but without a doubt the percentage is still slightly higher than in the more liberal European countries.
Then again Italians not replying anything might also have to do with there on average (NOT ALL !!!) limited knowledge of other foreign languages.

IMO Greece has always been more liberal, but the reason for there swift responses is probably that they are in dire straits, and they are happy to have any income they can.

1 Like