Disclosure of telephone number to guests

Hi all
firstly I love this forum and learn so much from it, thank you all for being such a strong community. I just received my first negative review, from a nightmare guest. For a 3-night stay, she called me 4 times. AirBnB seems to give my contact number to guests at booking, and she sure used it. First off, she hadn’t read the listing, and at check in complained there was no kitchen and that she would have to stay somewhere else (I directed her to the listing, like many SF properties we have a ‘kitchen area’ but no stove sink which is repeatedly disclosed). I got the vibe that she was going to be hard to satisfy.

Then, she didn’t like the temperature of the apartment - thermostat is in the upstairs apartment with us & we keep it around 69 degrees. She called the first night at 10.30pm to ask for the heating to be turned up - I was thrown by this, and by the time of night, but turned up the temp immediately, and left it up. The next night she called again - at 3am. I put it up again. I spent the day stressed out through lack of sleep and tense from the exchange. And yes, on the third night, she called again, at 11.33pm to complain of the temperature. I get that guests are free to come and go in a private apartment at any time, but I wouldn’t call anyone at 3am unless it was an emergency. We’ve now exchanged reviews and I’m unhappy that this person has my phone number. Is there anything I can do to stop AirBnB giving out my actual number to guests. I feel harassed.

Also, as part of her review, which of course was largely about the temperature, she also stated that the floors were dirty, which was upsetting and not true. Does anyone have tips about how to address an exaggerated review that’s hard to correct factually, without coming across as argumentative?

Airbnb gives us as hosts the guests phone number and the guests ours when the booking is confirmed. It is available to the guest and in their trip itinerary too. On your phone you should be able to block calls from her number from after the visit.

If it is a cell / mobile phone you can turn off or limit calls during certain hours.

Both you and the guest need to be able to call each other in case of emergency. If a guest calls you too often, it sounds like you should set boundaries with that guest.

Others in this forum can give you better advice than me on the wording. My first thought would be take some time and step away from the situation before writing anything.

Regarding the temp of your listing: Put it in your listing. I state that I keep my house on 68 deg during the day, 65 at night, and provide an extra blanket and a portable electric heater for guests that prefer it warmer. Haven’t had any complaints yet.

4 Likes

Of course you and the guest should exchange contact details upon bookings. (Airbnb does tell you on it’s website that they do this).

However it was completely unacceptable for her to call you at 3.00 a.m. to ask for the temperature to be turned up at this time in the early morning (particularly as it was still turned up from the night before).

I do hope you told her that this and followed this up through Airbnb messaging to confirm calling from XXX to XXX was for emergencies only.

And that you left an honest review about her unacceptable behaviour.

Why don’t you draft a response to her review and share it (and her review )with us and then we can provide input/ comment

1 Like

Awful. Hope this was an anomaly guest and it won’t happen again. You could get a burner number just for Airbnb guests to use.

If someone had called me at 3am and disturbed my beauty sleep over temp that had been turned up three times already I would have hung up and turned it down to freezing. Not really but I would have felt like it.

Please leave a bad review for this kook.

Cannot recommend xxx. She booked my apartment and complained by calling on the telephone three times that the temperature of xx was not wrm enough. The last complaint rang me out of a sound sleep at 3am. I cannot recommend any guest who would call a host at 3am for a matter that was not an emergency. Thumbs down.

3 Likes

Of course she shouldn’t be calling you at 3am but it is silly to think guests shouldn’t have your telephone number.

I also don’t understand why you kept turning the temperature down?

An easy way of avoiding the calls would have been to accept you have a guest that prefers a slightly warmer ambient temp than yourselves and kept the thermostat turned up for the duration of her stay - or alternatively you should have declined her initial request and explained why.

If I had rented a private unit, as yours appears to be, I would expect to be able to control the temperature to be comfortable.

4 Likes

You must be joking. How on earth are you supposed to know this at the time of booking?

2 Likes

Thanks thats good advice. Will do that.

Thanks both. I was of course turning the temperature up, not down. Yes I see that preferably there would be a separate thermostat in the downstairs, however I don’t have that, so I’ve updated my listing to be clear about the ambient temperature & also added a room heater. Best I can do.

2 Likes

BlockquoteYou must be joking. How on earth are you supposed to know this at the time of booking?

Of course you don’t know at the time of booking but if the guests calls late at night complaining about the cold, check the next day they are happy and leave the thermostat at that temp for the rest of their stay.

It read to me that the OP was temporarily turning the thermostat up but then turning it down the next day - hence another call of complaint.

1 Like

@konacoconutz I think from @icenisf 's post that the guest has already left a review - as she is asking how to respond to it?

Hi. No I wasn’t turning the temp back down, in fact by night 3 we were at 75 degrees! Don’t know why she was continuing to be unhappy.

No. I mean your earlier statement that one should not accept guests who like the temperature too warm. In other words, don’t accept guests who might give you trouble about some issue you’d never thought of.

Crystal ball much?

1 Like

75 is NUTS… she is a kook.

3 Likes

@icenisf - Warm air rises, so your apartment will always be warmer than the lower apartment. Get a small tabletop thermometer for the lower apartment so you know the temperature is in that apartment before telling guests what to expect.

1 Like

helpful advice, thanks will do that.

Please re-read what the OP wrote perhaps?

1 Like

One more suggestion after reading the excellent ones here - get a portable radiant heater or oscillating heater fan in their area so they can control that themselves. Also, you might actually save $ by not having to turn up the heat in both areas (yours and the guests).

. I mean your earlier statement that one should not accept guests who like the temperature too warm. In other words, don’t accept guests who might give you trouble about some issue you’d never thought of.

I didn’t mean don’t accept her as a guest, I meant don’t accept her initial request to turn up the temperature.

75deg is quite high but as already mentioned, an upstairs area will always be warmer so the space down stairs could have been colder.

1 Like

Checking, was it 75 degrees in her room or yours?