Disclosing breed specific (Pit Bull etc) dogs in listing?

@Brian_R170 is 100% on the mark. Many, perhaps all USA Insurers have specific questions about # of pets, # of dogs, if any dogs are X, Y, Z breeds.
Please make sure your 6 is covered. We would personally not risk that exposure but your mileage may vary.

1 Like

Yes, I do acknowledge that. I also acknowledge that pitbulls make up a disproportionate number of dog attacks, maiming and killing more people and animals than other breeds. But I prefer to treat dogs as individuals rather than breeds when possible. I would disclose that I had a pitbull and I would put that picture in my listing. Honestly it’s another way to screen for guests that will be a good match with the host. I would not have any dog in a home share unless I was able to keep the dog separate when I wasn’t with them.

The sweet pibble pictured above was a favorite of the little dogs and I took many pictures of him with little dogs. But I never would have left little dogs unattended with him or any other large dog I didn’t know well. The dog that I personally am most skittish about as a breed is German Shepherd. But one of my very favorite guest dogs is GSD. My own Elle is half GSD.

1 Like

That is a myth perpetuated by media trying to make something more exciting than it is. There is no biological difference in a pit bull’s jaw from other dog jaws. No dog has a locking mechanism on their jaws. It’s not rocket science, just simple anatomy.

5 Likes

Our guests know there are 2 watch dogs that are enclosed near our home, not at Tiny Tiki. I’m wondering if I should call out their breed. Some just love to pet and admire them, some want to go on a hike with them, and certainly some are afraid of them. They are both friendly and great Doberman breed ambassadors, but far from perfect, and one of the reasons we don’t allow children or pets. Guests are not allowed to and warned about opening our gate with out calling and giving us a chance to leash them, if they want to visit our area.

We also check the ‘dangerous animals on property’ box, besides the domestic canines there are tarantulas, (not dangerous, just scary) , coyotes, rattlers etc and recently a guest saw a scorpion.

The only dog bite I ever had was a blue heeler. My sisters Chi-Cocker hated babies, he was jealous, and I don’t think that is anthropomorphising:(

1 Like

My Bengal Cat is on lists of dangerous animals (I believe they’re banned in Australia and New Zealand for being vicious and wild animals. People suck).

I disclose her and the breed in the listing and have 3 pictures of her in the listing - photos 4, 5, and 6.

The only problems I’ve had are guests who don’t listen to how to play with her and start with using hands as play toys and that is threatening to all animals. I tell people she was abused and hand them cat toys.

I’ve had guests buy cat toys for her as leaving presents!

Disclose the breed in your listing. Post adorable pics (not hard with that face!) and keep him leashed when answering the door with new people and instruct guests when introducing him to them.

If everyone is calm and guests listen to you, you’ll have a fabulous guest/host/puppy experience.

Good luck. Pitties get a bad rap. Some are bred to be aggressive, but they were the original Nanny Dog in the Victorian and Edwardian Eras, bred to keep the babies company!

3 Likes

We have Bengals! I have a resident one, his name is MauMau…
The breed that is banned is the Savannah.

6 Likes

Did you see the news story a couple years ago about a Savannah safely leaping from a 5th floor patio and striking out on an adventure, then scaring a family out of their wits, by lurking at their back door begging for food & water?

Poor tall skinny cat…his rescuers didn’t know what he was until they googled him

Btw—5th floor. 50 ft

Here’s another story. 17 stories. They are amazing

2 Likes

I don’t think all pits are dangerous. Some of most common biter-dogs are chihuahua & min terriers like min schnauzer (very territorial).

I am cautious around pitties but I’m cautious around all dogs at first.

When instinct kicks in, dogs do what they do. My schnauzer went crazy the first time he sniffed where a mouse ran through. My dad’s border collie, never trained to herd, would herd the cows & cookout guests & my two tiny dogs. A friend’s golden would get in any water: puddle, drippy shower, lake

Pits are like other dogs.

2 Likes

What I once read about cats is that the reason they can fall from such dizzying heights and walk away virtually unscathed has to do with how long it takes them to turn themselves in the air and get into landing position. It was something like 5-7 stories, as I recall. So they are much more likely to survive a 12 story fall than a 3 story fall.

2 Likes

Kitty pix for kitty tax =^.^=

2 Likes

Ooooh those spots!! So handsome!!! And on the furniture on something you need. Looks very, very familiar…

Was doing a wardrobe sort and cull…. Those are all silk with animal prints……

2 Likes

Bella’s favorite type of fabric, too! MauMau is gorgeous. My profile pic is of Bella hiding under the fabric I’m unrolling in order to reupholster the dining room chairs. She was “helping…” Bengals, right?

@Debthecat It kind of makes my day finding out that you are the kind of badass that wears animal prints.

5 Likes

All cats seem to do things like that. As soon as I spread out a piece of fabric to cut, the cat will decide that lying down right in the middle of it, when she has an entire house full of places to curl up, is required.

Cats also seem to know what they look good on and make sure to place themselves there. They’re always posing for the camera, like a Kardashian.

2 Likes

That’s funny!! Bella’s a diva and looks down upon the attention-seeking Kardashians and instead, plays a wee bit hard-to-get unless you have shiny jewels with which to adorn her. #Diva EDIT: not sure why this pic shows her with a big head and a tiny body. weird camera angle?

5 Likes

Uh huh. Here’s Jack. In a box.

7 Likes

KNOWS he is still worshipped as a furry overlord. Stunning!

3 Likes

Speaking of overlords
https://images.app.goo.gl/RomdMPvfQSvF3Kao9

1 Like

We rent our upper apartment and have two pugs. We make sure guests know about them, they are pictured with us in our profile picture, and mentioned in our listing description. We’ve had people book with us just so they could meet them. For us it was important to mention we have them in case someone has allergies.

That being said we did consider adopting a pit bull but ultimately decided not to. We knew it would make some guests uncomfortable and I honestly didn’t know how comfortable I would feel not having raised her since she was a puppy.

1 Like