Dirty dishes and review question

You are entitled to your opinion. I would happily leave an honest review if Air bnb would back hosts when we do so and receive punitive reviews in return. In both cases where I received a punitive review, Air bnb had helped me resolve the issue and get paid for damages. Yet they still let what was clearly a punitive review stand. My point is the issue is with Air bnb not having the back of hosts who leave honest, less than stellar reviews. It is like a don’t ask, don’t tell policy. If I do not leave a review, the guests have not left one either. Now if I see a guest has had 3-4 stays and only one review, it is a red flag for me.
So instead if critisizing, please tell me what the answer is, in your opinion.

I don’t understand why you think this. They are independent of each other, they can still leave one even if you don’t. Are you saying that it’s because you writing a review triggers them to write one?

3 Likes

If you do not leave a review, the only people you are hurting are other hosts.

And it is not to your advantage in any way to not leave a review.

Are you still under the false notion that if you fail to review the guest, the guest’s review won’t be published?

1 Like

In the instances I have had issue with yes. I am also aware they can leave a review even if I do not.

I just don’t understand who you think you are punishing or what point you are making by declining to leave reviews. Or in what way you think it benefits you.

1 Like

Why? What makes you think the other hosts didn’t leave reviews for the same reason you don’t? I’ve had several wonderful guests whose past hosts didn’t bother to review them.

2 Likes

It sounds like you are using the email that cues a review for the ‘review cutoff’?

I could show you how to submit the review in exactly the last few seconds, no time zone needed, if you’d like.

When I first started STR twice I had issues with partiers. Since then I removed two beds so I can host 6 instead of 8. I went from 2 nights min to 5 nights min. I also stopped IB and now I look guests up online. I check their Facebook page and their profile on Linkedin. If they’re young like high school or college students, I cancel the reservation. This has really helped weeding out the partiers. Perhaps you need to take some steps to prevent these party folks from booking your home.

1 Like

That would be helpful. Thank you.

You make it sound like everyone has a Facebook page or Linkedin account.
What if a guest has no social media presence?

And if you don’t use IB and look guests up when they send a request, why would you be cancelling a reservation? Don’t you mean declining the booking?

If they don’t have Facebook then I look at other social media platforms. When potential guests send a request to book I only see their first name. I don’t see their last name and city until they book. Once I get that information, I start looking online. This has really helped with the partiers. My main concern is neighbors calling the police. Right now the neighbors don’t seem to mind that it’s an Airbnb but I know that if I have disruptuve guests, that will quickly change.

1 Like

You assume, I too have not done these things. I have also reduced number of guests but some still try to bring more.
I raised my limit to three nights.
I do not book below age 26. I have not turned off IB.
I do skip tracing so I also know how to do background checks.
The rental is within 10 miles of three colleges, so trust me, I am good at weeding out partiers and decline many potential bookings that do not appear to be a good fit. The situation herein was not about partiers, rather another Air bnb host.
I am looking for a solution, or balance, to leave an honest review without getting a punitive review that Air bnb, who has been made aware of the damage issues, will not remove.

1 Like

I asked what if they have no social.media presence?

Some dirty dishes alone is no big deal. The rest of it is over the top.
“Would not host again. Left us with a sink full of dirty dishes. Even worse, they put filthy used pans and the hot plate back in the cabinets for us to find and clean”.
2 stars overall. 1 star for cleanliness.

1 Like

Even if they don’t have social media you can still find them online. You can find their address and age. All one has to do is google the name and city.

Nope. You won’t find my address or age by Googling my name and city. That may have been your experience with the guests you have looked up, but it’s by no means some universal truth.

What’s your name and city? I’ll google you to see what shows up online. Everyone leaves a digital print.

1 Like

Do you think I said you wouldn’t find my age and address by Googling me without checking it out first? I know how to Google as well. But I’ll PM you here with my name and city and you can have at it.

I’m like Saint Thomas : ) I have too see to believe.

The Guest Can Only See Your Review AFTER THEY SUBMIT THEIRS. Got it?
What if one of us (literally) had hosted your crap guest before you got the booking? And if we had written an honest review … then you would have been informed and can CHOOSE to keep the risky guest. Or not.
Hosts that won’t write bad reviews are bad hosts. It is that simple.

6 Likes