Difficult guests

I really don’t like any kind of smoke inside my home and have become less tolerant of all kinds of smoke as I’ve aged. Even outside I replaced my wood burning fire pit with a propane table. Luckily I can do a lot of cooking outdoors. And my fireplace chimney vents the fires well but I may be replacing with gas logs at some point in the future. It’s weird because I was around all kinds of smoke my entire life.

1 Like

Seriously? No incense?
I would be happy to challenge you in court on religious practice restrictions for the incense, I’m surprised that no one has.

1 Like

We don’t allow anything that involves a flame. No candles, no incense. Nothing with a scent. I get blinding headaches.

That’s completely reasonable. It’s a STR and it’s in your home. I was responding to NordlingHouse as his post implied he was referring to LTRs where more and different issues must be considered (e.g. religious practice).

2 Likes

Uhm, no it’s not a dumb restriction not to allow candles in a rental… Some people are completely stupid, they will burn a property down. It is perfectly reasonable for a LL to prohibit smoking, vaping candles or incense.

Not all tenants are created equal, so the property owner needs to protect against the idiots.

I am sure you were the exception and a perfect tenant, but the rest of them…

RR

2 Likes

Nearly. I always paid on time and was a quiet, clean tenant.

But I burned the crap out of some candles and incense. :smiling_imp:

4 Likes

Me too! I’ve never had a lease that prohibited candles or incense, it seems odd.

This was long term rentals correct? I’ve never heard of such a restriction on a long term rental. How did you police this?

1 Like

Or better they learn not to sucker hosts at all… :woman_shrugging:

There will always be an unlimited supply of new ones.

I can’t stomach leaving a heart for that, especially since it is so true… :triumph:

1 Like

Tenants paid security deposits when they moved in. We took the cost of cleaning or painting that was not normal wear and care out of their security deposit before refunding the remainder. We also had a 2 page move-in checklist that tenants had to sign that they agreed was an accurate description of the property’s condition, and if there was previous damage or other problem we took photos.

As far as “religious practice” argument, I doubt if any court would agree. Tenants know (via the lease and the rules that they signed) that burning incense is not allowed before they move in. It can take a lot of cleaning to get the smell of incense out of carpets, and we had one unit that had to be repainted because even after extra cleaning we couldn’t get rid of the smell — we had to Kilz the walls and ceiling in a apartment that had been freshly painted before the incense burners moved in.

1 Like

Lie to guests? Me?

Awwww.

Try as we might, push sometimes comes to shove.

Here’s a little update since the TP incident. Since the guests that text me at midnight on a Sunday that they ran out of TP , you better believe it stocked the house with PLENTY of rolls of TP. 6 rolls under both bathroom sinks.
Well, the very next guests took every roll. Haha. They were only there for 2 nights. So there’s no way they needed 14 rolls of TP.
Live and learn,I guess!!

2 Likes

Be sure that goes in their review!!!

1 Like

Very Frustrating!

I don’t think I encounter that since most of my guests are flying to and from. I would guess it’s a temptation for those traveling by car.

My only consolation for you is it’s a relatively low cost item, approximately $10.00 additional cost.

I agree with @Militaryhorsegal to include commentary in the review: “Guests were clean, maybe too clean, as they went through (or took) 14 rolls of toilet paper in 2 days.

2 Likes

Easy enough to know if the cardboard tubes are not in the trash they took them. I had one go missing on a one night booking, an extra was gone no tube in the trash. I figured someone had a cold and they took it in the car to blow noses or something. taking a dozen rolls is theft.

RR

4 Likes

I get an average of $50 a night so on a two night booking $10 is still a hefty discount. But what’s weird to me is that 95% of my guests are driving in their cars and not one out of over 800 has taken a single roll of TP. Occasionally the spare toothbrush, coffee pods or almond milk gets taken/the packages aren’t in the trash but never the toilet paper. I would def mention any substantial missing items in a review.

2 Likes

I think stealing a dozen rolls of TP is substantial enough to warrant it beig called out in a review, and I would not use @HH_AZ 's review if there was evidence of theft because it seem too personal that the used that much.

I do not recommend guest, guest took 12 rolls of TP with them when they left. Guest is better suited for Motel 6

RR

3 Likes

I’d def mention it at my place if I was 100% sure the guest took it. As I posted in another thread, with my mental gears slipping the way they do I’d have to triple check everything before I’d dare mention it in a review.

I would never say “better suited for a Motel 6” about anyone, ever. I guess that’s supposed to be some sort of classist shade throwing? I guess my many Motel 6 stays over the years make me touchy.

2 Likes