Did I really just make this ridiculous, rookie mistake?

Depending on where one lives, the police may refuse to get involved. And if a guest has a booking of over a month, they do indeed become tenants in the eyes of the law, subject to landlord/ tenant laws, regardless of whether they booked through an str platform as a guest.

My point is that Airbnb doesn’t “protect” hosts in any way if they refuse to leave.

Yes, of course, depending on the length of the rental (usually something between 28-31 days) and local law the person could be a tenant.

The police might choose not to get involved thinking that they are a tenant. But an owner who knows their rights --and does not use the word ‘evict’ when it does not apply – would have the best chance for police removing a true guest just as they would remove the non-paying guest/friend who refuses to leave.

My point to the police would be that they will remove the guest or I am, and it could turn violent if the guest refuses, that such a guest has become a trespasser, that I have the right under local law to use reasonable force to remove a trespasser. I would invite the police to stay while I apply reasonable force, perhaps asking their advice on what a reasonable weapon for me might be in such a situation. By staying the trespasser has already resisted and therefore as Host I need to escalate the situation. [I think the police would act to remove the guest in such circumstances.]

The Host must know its rights and be firm.

1 Like

Really, I didn’t know that could happen. I think my husband would find a way to toss them!

Just here to say that really stinks. I haven’t had it happen to me for my Airbnb, but I’ve had it happen to me more times than I can count with my long-term rentals.

Someone will blow up my phone, massive interest, many calls and texts only to ghost later on. While it is incredibly frustrating, I just sit back and think that it’s a blessing in disguise because they would have been terrible tenants most likely. Or at a minimum a giant pain in my tail.

2 Likes

:rofl: Yes, the usefulness of someone who looks or sounds like someone not to mess with, even if in reality they wouldn’t hurt a fly, can’t be underestimated.

3 Likes

Do I understand, then that she will not be coming?

Do I understand then that she is not coming? If so, I’d say you’ve just dodged a huge bullet. This is a guest who needs a lot of attention and it won’t stop once she books in.

2 Likes

When asked for a lower rate or to book outside Airbnb, I always say that we are already discounted for our area and Airbnb carries our insurance. Booking outside Airbnb puts us at risk, so no.

1 Like

Well, COCabin’s words were exactly what I wanted to express. I most certainly would have had my heart strings pulled by that story. I have had to steel myself to stick to never booking out side the airbnb platform but it’s not always easy! I haven’t raised my rates in 10 years and people tell me I’m crazy not to charge more. But my primary renters are families gathering from different parts of the world and I want to keep it affordable for them. But the price has jumped considerably in that time with more and more taxes piled on that add 35% to the cost, so when folks ask for a break I explain that to them and steel myself to decline discounting it. Having that hard line makes it easier. It was indeed a relatively low cost to the lesson. You are the one who gets to be a person with a benevolent spirit which is priceless.

1 Like

Thanks @Roocroft its good to know I’m not alone and I appreciate the kind words.

1 Like

To all of the fellow hosts who made me feel much better about my rookie mistake, I’m happy to report that I eventually did hear from the prospective guest. I was embarrassed to admit that I had heard from her since I made such a big to-do about her disappearance, but she eventually wrote me and apologized profusely and (get this!) said that her daughter had been recovering from scheduled surgery! Someone here even suggested that might have been the reason. Anyhow, we got everything squared away. I now have a check for the deposit (50%) and the security deposit ($500 I randomly decided to charge). I know there are mixed feelings on here about direct booking, but I have to say that I love having guests who have a personal bond with the cabin. I have some of their guest book notes framed on the wall of the cabin and the reviews I get online are the ultimate third-party validation. Plus, I still remember some of my childhood vacations. Granted, we had to sleep in a canvas tent that smelled like mildew and my dad snored so loudly we used to fight over the spot in the back of the station wagon ha ha but I believe in the magic of getaways. Now hopefully all goes well and I’m not back on here complaining about these guests in August! Thanks again everyone.

7 Likes

Don’t be embarrassed. And thank you for following up.

I’m certainly guilty of being impatient. And like we said, when someone is messaging you and then goes silent it seems odd and inexcusable, unless she is the one having surgery. The idea to charge a deposit is a good one that will give you peace of mind.

6 Likes

This thread just saved me yesterday.

I got a really well written and nice message from someone, asking for a $20 discount as my property was just outside of their budget. The booking would have gone from $665 to $645… to think she could have just instant booked, and this entire story may have changed.

I was about to approve, when i noticed they had a 4 star rating.

Upon reading their reviews, there were 5 of her 8 reviews were absolutely horrifying. Refusing the check out on time, leaving tons of nasty trash all over the floors and house, and a bed bug infestation after checking out.

In another review the host had said that the guest had not only damaged the property, but tried to get a full refund after staying 2 nights out of a 5 night stay with no other reason than she didn’t enjoy the location.

I think i dodged a huge bullet here. When I saw her message I immediately remembered this thread… under any normal circumstance, I would have seen a 4 star review, and said to myself “meh, good enough” but this time i had to dig a bit deeper. This lady only had 3 good reviews out of 8. I declined, and yea i missed out on $650, and hopefully the property will book out on a sunday-tuesday (doubt it) but after doing this for 2 years now, headaches and bad guests just aren’t worth the money.

3 Likes

If that IB requirement that guests have to not have any negative reviews is working as it should, she wouldn’t have been able to IB with those horrible reviews. I would imagine all those 5 hosts who left bad reviews would have said they wouldn’t host her again.

I’m just surprised that with a 5/8 ratio of bad reviews she had a 4 star average. You’d think it would be 2 or 3. Sounds like the hosts were overly generous with the ratings.

2 Likes

EEEeee. No.

Anyone less than 5 star I read their reviews. Yes, I have approved people with less than 5 but only after I see what is in those reviews. In one case it was the guy’s first review and it was with a group. Reviews since were fine. And if the bad reviews are recent, then no, let someone else take the chance.

1 Like