Diary of a Happy Host?

@Mearns and @Barthelemy, thank you! This is like a dating site for people willing to rent out space in their home. No one is going to be happy with a situation where clearly there is no fit.

Getting honest here, I’m a Christian, homeschooling mom of 4. There are situations that in my home would make me uncomfortable, but any couple having sex in a neighboring bedroom to my kids would be an issue, so I don’t rent out a room in my house. If I did at some point, it would only be to single occupant stays. Don’t care if you’re married, dating, straight or gay. My house, my rules.

BUT, I offer separate residence. What you do in your free time and I can’t see or hear and my kids won’t be privy: you’re an adult. If it won’t cause damage to my property or harm others or bring liability to me, go for it.

And that’s the great thing about AirBNB (if people leave honest reviews and are honest in their requests): you can hopefully find compatibility in host/guest connections. I wouldn’t want to stay in a hostel with my 4 kids, but if it was just me and a room was clean, I wouldn’t care who I was staying with as long as there was mutual respect.

So I hope people wouldn’t be offended if I happen to have a Bible on the shelf with the several dozen other books I have available for people to read while staying. As a host, it’s what I offer, though I wouldn’t want to make people uncomfortable so I keep it on a shelf and I limit other religious items to a decorative wrought-iron cross on the wall. It is my guest house after all that I use for extra-income when I don’t have friends staying there.

Honest pictures, honest description, honest communication. Should make for mutually beneficial stays. And we’ll stay out of each other’s bedrooms, or, wait. (seriously, joking here)

1 Like

I am an atheist and I wouldn’t mind at all if a place I stayed in had a Bible and a cross and/or whatever symbols of the proprietors’ religion they wanted to display. I am a huge believer in religious freedom. The only thing I have a problem with is proselytizing.

1 Like

I have a variety of religious icons in my home and some Hindu/Buddhist decor in the guest room. That is on purpose. While I don’t discriminate against anyone (I instant book) I hope it sends the signals I intend. I did have one Christian minister here who I believe may have been uncomfortable after he arrived. Oh well, his money spends just like everyone elses.

2 Likes

Ellen! Nice word, I had to hit the books on that one.

Bumping up this thread again, but with happy guests reports.

We have 4 gents upstairs in our home. They arrived on Friday and depart on Monday. They are having a wonderful time! How do I know? I can hear them talking and talking and talking, laughing alot, with hoots and howls once in a while. They are all about 50 yr old, golfers and leave at noonish to go play the 18 holes here. They come back late after dinner, talk quietly until the wee hours of the morning. They get up at a decent hour, I can smell the coffee and the talking and laughing begins again.

Now, I don’t know the condition of my home, but I’m sure its in great shape since they know I’m downstairs. Some may get irritated by the talking and laughing, but I’m happy for the Financial Advisor, the UC Davis professor, the Father at a Cath church, and the other man guest. It brings a a smile to my face to make their time together pleasant.

4 Likes

What a great attitude. Thanks for the sunshine!

Noise irritates me quite a bit. But this morning I had the same situation - they were laughing their heads off - that I never mind! (well, unless at 2 am!).

If I could hear my guests laughing and talking all the time, it would drive me batty. You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

(Please don’t tell anyone I quoted Kipling.)

2 Likes