Decoding what guests say

haha, pot is illegal here, and they aren’t having a party in a shared house. It’s fine. i suspect they are just doing the “fake it til you make it” thing of pretending to be more mature and accomplished that what they actually are. I’m sure it’s fine.

1 Like

‘Professional’ means in young person’s language nowadays that they do not have much of a clue how anything works in the real world and are very reliant vs. self reliant. Expect a lot of communique about the silliest things and the word ‘service’ to come up often, so the host knows their place.

(Probably dead wrong on the above, but it was great fun writing it).

Never stopped anyone I know.

1 Like

Exactly!

I got a request from an early 20-something whose “business partners”, as he called them, would be in town for “meetings”.

They pot & vaped up my place (these are the guys who cut the extension cord & tripped a breaker trying to use it to vape for those who may recall ). Stumbled in drunk. Food/wrappers in beds, threw out some flatware and glasses (too lazy to put in dishwasher I guess?). And, they showed up in a Tesla.

Clearly it was my bad as I neglected to clarify what kind of business they were in. :unamused:

5 Likes

On the two-person (cheaper) listing of our three-bedroom home that has a minimum seven-night stay. Person is new to AirBnB with only phone number confirmed:
“we would like to stay at this villa for maybe 2-3 nights and would like to know about price and how many people are allowed stay in this house”

Translation: “We really only want Saturday night for a huge party but we know you’d get suspicious if we asked for one night”

1 Like

Do you reply and quote them the 7 night price and say “you’re welcome to check out at any time. Please let our on site staff know when you leave.”

2 Likes

Not quite. Just said the price is as advertised and good for two people only and that there is a seven-night stay minimum.

Edited to add: Although it would have been smart to mention the on-site staff!

2 Likes

My translation was close. When I told her it sleeps six, her response was “Oh, that won’t work. I need a place for a large group of teenagers”. Phew - bullet dodged!

1 Like

What on earth is so difficult and challenging for guests about actually reading the listing info? I just don’t get it.

I pity the next host she’s going to try to book with, who may indeed have a larger max guest count, who she won’t bother telling that the booking is for “a large group of teenagers”. If you still have the ability to message her, I’d clue her in that 3rd party bookings aren’t allowed, and that she can’t book for underrage guests unless she plans to be there the whole time.

Like the request I got a couple months ago where the guest mentioned him and his girlfriend. My listing title includes the phrase “For Solo Traveler”. They didn’t even even have to delve into reading the description.

5 minutes later, before I had a chance to reply, I got another message from him saying, “Oh, sorry, my girlfriend just noticed that you only accept one guest”, and withdrew his request.

1 Like

If I remember correctly you said you don’t use Airbnb as a guest?

As someone who does read the listing. the host profile and a lot of their reviews it’s not that it’s difficult, it’s that it’s time consuming. It’s something that I and others have posted about extensively.

1 Like

Correct, I haven’t yet used Airbnb as a guest. And I can understand that some people are lazy and just skim the listing info, but the max guest count is right at the top. You’d think guests would at least pay attention to how many beds and guests the place holds.

1 Like

Any time a guest mentions these words: get-together, kick-back, celebrate, birthday or small gathering, we read: par-tay!

5 Likes

Another thing we have noticed is you can learn a lot from the time you receive an inquiry or booking request. If you get it at 2:00 a.m. (assuming they are in or close to your time zone) you can be sure they will be up at that time of night while staying with you. No big deal - unless you are an on-sight host.

That isn’t necessarily true. Airbnb sometimes has time lags between when a guest sent a message and when I get the alert. I have gotten request alerts at 3am that the guest sent at 9pm. You have to look at when the guest actually sent the message, not at when you received the alert.
However, I agree that if a guest actually sends you an inquiry or request at 2am your time, unless they are in a vastly different time zone and don’t expect an answer right away because they realize it’s sleeping hours where the host is, that isn’t a good sign of someone who has respect for others.

2 Likes

Yes, that is true. Poor wording on my part. Should have said, “if a potential guest is messaging you at 2:00 a.m.” you can be sure they will be up at that time of night while staying with you.

1 Like

“We’re excited to explore the city,” apparently means “we are going to stay inside all week and barely stick our noses out the door.”

I’m always a bit surprised by people who seem to travel a long ways from other countries and then sit inside the whole time.

My guests just can’t win. If they are out all day exploring, I worry that they don’t like that apartment. If they stay in, I worry that they don’t like the area.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes