Decline in Bookings

Below are “how to access” instructions.

On my tablet and phone, I alternate use of the App OR website via Safari (Chrome too).

My laptop is website access only.

FOR THE APP
Go to your listing

SCROLL DOWN
Select the discount you want to apply

FOR THE WEBSITE
Go to your listing

Scroll down

I used it by accident. I tinkered around and somehow applied it. Very soon after, I received 2 booking requests. I wondered why crazy low rates were applying.

FINALLY I looked at discounts & there it was—the discount I didn’t intend to save.

I did learn the auto-early booking discount works and people will book at the discounted rate.

1 Like

I can’t seem to find the early bird and last minute bookings options.

Feedback regarding my setting changes.
The guest that booked yesterday after I had lowered my minimum stay to 1 day turned out to be hosting a party at my listing. My night was eventful. Let’s just say that I adjusted my minimum day to 2 days. 1 day does not work for me.

I am under the impression that those discount settings are available to all hosts everywhere, though I haven’t confirmed that.

They should be here:

Host Profile → Listings → Pricing and Availability → Discounts

Will give it another try.
Thank you!

That’s exactly why I don’t accept last minute one night bookings :grin: @epadat … as I said quality over quantity .

You may need to turn on “Professional Tools”.

What is your off-Air contract like? I’m thinking just doing a variation on my lease. Or sending them a special offer and just do it through Air. Ugh.

I don’t do a contract. I’d explain why but I don’t want to encourage others to follow my irresponsible example.

4 Likes

The last thing you are is irresponsible! The guests stayed with me and were lovely. I’m going to send them a 1 page contract for the stay and see how it goes.

1 Like

I’ve lost the thread here. Is the discussion about using/not using a contract for Airbnb short term stays?

I could well be wrong, but I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Airbnb prohibits the use of contracts for Airbnb short term stays. Am I wrong about that?

I said I do direct bookings for trusted repeat guests, and casailinglady asked about my contract. I replied that I don’t have one. They are bookings off Airbnb.

I don’t know if they prohibit them or not but seems irrelevant in my case.

There is no prohibition on having guests sign contracts regardless of the length of stay. I have signed a contract for a 1-night stay as a guest before. You do have to disclose it in your listing though.
These both say the same thing more or less but I think that reading what guests are told by Airbnb is oftentimes it’s own information so I like to look at the Help articles writtten for guests.

But ugh, why is Airbnb encouraging guests to “discuss it with the host” if they don’t like the (fully disclosed) contract, as the first option before “find another place to stay.”?

I really dislike when Airbnb actively suggests that guests try to get concessions out of hosts.

2 Likes

Sometimes/Occasionally I don’t either…you are not alone. I’ve been lucky & it hasn’t backfired yet.

1 Like

I usually don’t do a contract; in fact, I can only think of once when I did, and that’s because we went off platform with a guest who needed to stay an extra six weeks.

The main thing I wanted to specify was that there was an agreed-on end date. There is a special form in our province that attaches to a lease, and it states that both parties agree to the move-out date. It’s designed to prevent landlords from forcing tenants out to get around rent increase limits.

I think in the future when I accept longer bookings I’ll include this document as a requirement.

For my >28 night rentals I almost always get a separate lease. A few times when they booked on Airbnb I didn’t.

I never get a separate agreement if they book STR on Airbnb.

If they are a repeat private booking, depending on their relationship with me, I may not get anything in writing.

To avoid disagreements and cancelations and refunds, I imagine. Contracts are inherently voluntary. And if you are going to use a contract it only makes sense to use it only with guests who are agreeable to it. A contract takes both parties agreeing and although it can protect you in a legal sense the goal of a contract is really to avoid disagreements. Having one with an unwilling party defeats the purpose.

I don’t do short term contracts but I do monthly leases. It’s the same as looking for any rental, if you don’t want to sign a lease or you don’t agree with the lease offered then you should find another place to rent or discuss it to see if it can be amended in a way that is agreeable to you.