Dealing with late-check-out requests as an on-site host

I do something similar when I don’t have back-to-back guests, but I’m always sure to do so with a time limit (e.g “you’re welcome to stay as late as 1pm”). There’s always a “can I just stay for free?” type guest like OP described who would take your invitation far beyond what you intended.

I don’t mind doing a couple hour late checkout, but dislike when they wait till the last minute to ask. One guest messaged an hour before 11am checkout asking to stay until 5pm. Nope! By that time I have my day planned and want to get on it.

3 Likes

as part of the checking in procedure, I offer guests a late checkout, instead of 11am, they can stay till 6pm for a tenner. Maybe 1 in 6 have taken me up on it. Not sure what to do if they ask to only stay till 3pm!

I don’t often get requests to stay longer. But if they are good people and it’s not a problem I don’t worry about it. if I have someone coming in right after, I have no choice, and neither do they.

In reality, neither do we. Been the odd occasion and when we could do it, we did.

Had a young German couple in for a few days and truth be told I wasn’t sure what sort of review we’d get - definite communication issues which were down to me. They asked to check out a couple of hours after midday (our check out time) and as we’d no one in that apartment that evening it wasn’t an issue.

Review, five stars across the board. Even for communication. Phew…

We’re fortunate in as much as we are on site and do our own cleaning so we can be flexible. I suspect for many hosts late check outs mean rescheduling cleaners which may incur extra costs.

JF

My guests who asked to stay until 6 pm for free checked out yesterday around 12:15 pm (I offered noon as a compromise). It’s a good thing I didn’t have another guest coming because they were messier than typical. They seemed happy when they left and reviewed me 5 minutes after the review window opened so I think they were pleased, but I’m waiting until the last day to review them honestly just in case they left a bad review. I was the last stop on their trip so I don’t think I need to warn other hosts immediately. These guests only stayed two nights, but were not very self sufficient and left behind an excessive amount of trash. As we know, bargain hunters often don’t make good guests.

I love your message! It makes a difference to me because I don’t have a professional cleaner. I work from home in the afternoons and see me around the house, so guests may think it doesn’t matter whether I do the turnover at 11 am or 3 pm.

This is so funny because I have a similar line: “Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to facilitate your departure. I am available to meet with you when you leave, if you desire.” No one has ever taken me up on it either, and it has been sounding stupider and stupider to me, so I’ve been omitting it and will probably permanently delete it!

1 Like

The insurance angle as a reason not extend is great, I take notes about such things. THANKS!

1 Like