Damages: Collecting right documents / proof. How to make a claim on security deposit so you get money from guests or Airbnb

Well good thing we can find humor in anything, we better. :wink:

1 Like

I think this rep misspoke. Maybe what he meant to say was that they don’t charge the whole thing up front and it’s an imprint on the card.

Reps can and do make fanciful statements that seem to come from out of left field. Ask for a supervisor clarification on this. I don’t think he is correct.

1 Like

I just had estimates on putting a patio on a backyard. Old concrete is terribly cracked and looks awful. I had 2 estimates. One was 9200$, another 5000$. Both companies are very reputable. First said, i am giivng you the best price, lol

The 3rd guy is coming on Sunday. He put floors for us a year ago, and he was very reasonable and very good. I just remembered him and asked if he does marble outside. Let see what he says. I was not planning on spending that much at all, i had no knowledge how much it costs. I was hoping it would be around 3K.
Same with other jobs. Wooden part under roof eaten by termites varried from 1600$ to 600$. Marble floors polish went from 1200$ to 350$, painting inside from 4K to 1200$. To cover driveway from 850 to 300$. We ended up hiring a guy who gave us the cheapest prices, and he did all the work listed, and excelllent job. I saw how long he worked. He painted everything within 3 days. How is bad to make 400$ a day just to paint walls. To polish floors took him 1.5hour. Minus material, he made 150$ for this job. The longest time he spent with replacing wooden part, almost the whole day, around 7 hours. But still he made 80$ an hour.

@Mearns, i was thinking the same , how much per hour contractors are making with these horrendous prices? Overall my guy made 2000$ a week, if materials were substracted. We bought our own paint.
I dont see how its not enough for this kind of job.

1 Like

I had a discussion with an Air rep. a long time ago about them no longer pre-authorizing the amount. I would not even know how to find the old email now. But a rep. had sent me a copy of what the guest receives after checkout. And in this email it said something to the effect of the host didn’t make a claim, and their card was not pre-authorized. I found this disturbing and called back. The rep. confirmed they changed policies because it isn’t common that a claim needs to be filed.

What is disturbing now is reading that hosts must make a claim against the security deposit within 14 days of check out, or before next guest checks in - whichever comes first. Say what?? So if I have a same day turnover then I have to make my claim before 4 p.m. of checkout?? And during that time I have to spend the entire time cleaning!!

1 Like

Here is the bottom portion of my billing statement from a stay we just completed, two weeks ago. ABB is no longer charging/holding/anything with the Security Deposit unless a claim is made

@Anastasia_Stal Where are you in the Bay Area? We are in SF and charge almost 2x for a 2bd apartment. I saw your PMs will answer as I do have a few good handymen.

2 Likes

Wait! Don’t tell her that. I was trying to find her apt to book before you all talk her into raising prices.

Edit: I am just kidding, BTW

2 Likes

As long as I have been hosting with Air, it’s always been a shadow charge. I don’t remember it any other way. FlopKey, in contrast, does charge the whole amount to the guest card and takes their sweet time to return it. It’s onerous to be out of pocket for that much as a guest.

1 Like

I will PM you. We are in Silicon Valley, not in the city!

Lol! Thank you for the support!
We have a lot of competition in my building so this is a reasonable price I believe. Also, I am booked most of the nights. I have a rule: don’t try to change what’s already working out for you :)))

Yes same VRBO. You decide when and the amount your guest gets back

And somehow get a contractor’s estimate during those four hours…

If it’s that bad you probably aren’t renting the room that night anyway. But Air isn’t going to be paying for your lost bookings.

1 Like

@cabinhost @Xena the day this guest checked out I did not have anyone checking in for next 2 days and I filed the claim same day after he checked out. How come I don’t “qualify” for security deposit of $997? Still want an answer from Air, will keep you posted!