Damages: Collecting right documents / proof. How to make a claim on security deposit so you get money from guests or Airbnb

If you have a high end listing, I would definitely do what’s suggested and do a credit card deposit that you return and put it in your house rules. It will definitely steer away the bad guests and if people are paying for a high-end place they’d be able to cover it. Make it part of your check-in process. The only part I’d wonder about is fees you may have to pay despite refunding the money?

1 Like

I get a credit card deposit. There is a risk as they can dispute it. Better to collect in cash. Then you just send them check or wire. Yes, definitely you loose people who don’t trust you. But… I think it’s better this way . A certain amount of trust should be there. If they don’t trust you then why should we trust them.

1 Like

I don’t know why but some people have this compulsion to touch walls and it seems to be linked to people that have dirty hands. Lol

I never touch walls, I don’t know why you would need to. I also notice people push doors open right next to the door handle rather than using the door handle so you end up with dirt all around the handle. Also some people put feet on the wall too like if you have a desk without a back or a bed next to a wall.

2 Likes

Since this is being discussed I’m still waiting to hear from guest who damaged dresser. My plan is to use Annie Sloan chalk paint as the veneer is damaged and too thin to be sanded. Should I buy the supplies and do the job, or find someone to give me a quote for doing this? It will be cheao r if I do this. Anyone had a similar experience?

1 Like

Louise,

As an aside, if the chalk paint isn’t really your preference and you are a bit handy, you can veneer furniture yourself. It isn’t difficult, but it is fussy. You would need access to a very well ventilated space since the adhesive smells just awful. Veneer can be purchased at most hardware stores, though I would choose Rockland since they are local. Folks that work there are very nice, and are happy to give you instructions and tips to success.

1 Like

Chalk paint is marvellous and will work well with this dresser. It’s a depression waterfall dresser. Doing the veneer would require a true craftsman, as the edge is rounded. I’ve used chalk paint in the past, it’s marvellous, no prep on varnished wood, gives a very rich look with next to no skill and not a lot of work.

2 Likes

Yes. With a curved edge, you would need to own the correct tools. Since my husband plays with wood for a living, we seem to have every tool that has ever been made. Some in duplicate! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No I dont have cameras, but our building has it. I probably need to set one individual by the front door. In case when the guest doesnt accept or just ignore your request for money, AirBnb asks the host all kind of docs. Just a pain in the butt and time lost. Preparing myself to pay out of pocket for painting.

1 Like

Include mention of exterior cameras in listing so that guests have a heads up that can’t just party and destruct with impunity.

3 Likes

Yes need to do research about the fees. Other option to send money thru Venmo, for instance, however the guest would need to download the app and know how to use it. Also wiring money thru the bank can be free, just knowing email and phone number, thats how my coaching clients usually pay me. I believe its free.

Thank you Konacoconutz! ;)))

1 Like

Thats so true about the trust. Still forget to position myself and my property as I should, not wanting to lose the business. And most of my guests were no drama no damage, - but when they are, I have no control… Need to be tougher I guess!

Lol because people with clean hands even if they do touch the walls - there is no evidence)))
My concern what she did with the walls? Was she scratching her body parts and face since its her makeup?! I am not sure in what condition someone should be to smash the face off the wall thru the entire hallway and both bedrooms? Or she had makeup and dirt on her feet? Was she passed out and her boyfriend was caring her around and whipping the walls?! I am really concern :slight_smile:
:frowning:

Sorry about your experience. You can only wait 72 hours for the guest to reply. Try to schedule appointments ASAP to get free estimates if you want to try to get compensated for the damage. I will keep you posted how my case goes

The whole process seems awful. I don’t understand why Air requires formal estimates for many things. My partner does repair work and he charges for estimates. Why should you have to pay people to come out before you even know if Air will side with you? And I would feel bad having someone come out for free just for an estimate, when I know that I could purchase the materials and the do the work myself. Shame on Air

3 Likes

As @konacoconutz knows we have been through the ABB process way too many times this summer. I have it down to a science, with what invoices/bills they want, how they want them, and the explanations. Hint theres an online invoice tool that works great.

I am happy to help any other host out. Just PM me.

2 Likes

My pool guy redid estimate 4 times. I still do not know why Air did not like the format. Then they said that name of the company and adress did not match. I went to sunbiz.org where all the businesses are registered and saw my pool company registered there and everything matched.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem to matter to Airbnb whether there is a deposit in place or not! Airbnb makes it near possible for your items to be protected from guests.

1 Like

Yes, it doesn’t seem fair but I also believe that having a deposit shows them you are serious about demanding respect from guests and not relying on them to pick up the pieces if guests cause damage,

I’ve only ever had them side wi me so I can only speak to having success as far as deposits are concerned.

2 Likes

I agree this is terrible Air asks to have an official estimate withing a few days. How unfair to contractors. Luckily I have some friends who are contractors so they’d probably make me a fake in-voice for repairs I wish to make myself, but I shouldn’t have to resort to being dishonest.

We should complain on social media.

2 Likes