Damage to hardwood

:rofl:
we have hardwood floors, scratches are sad but a reality. there are some clever hacks to fill in scratches, but otherwise they are now the “wrinkles” of life for your floor.

2 Likes

Our hardwood floors are local Black Ash…not the fancy shiny stuff that gleams, but lovely just the same. I like that “wrinkles” of life for your floor. Thanks everyone…I’m over it now,you all helped.

5 Likes

I noticed a hole in my floor, instantly blamed guest. Then, I noticed my diy inside of refrigerator repair to freezer door hinge… maybe wasn’t holding up, due to I dropped the door panel and gouged floor again… arghhh
I wish I had hardwood…

1 Like

I like the wrinkle metaphor! We have 4 levels of 125-year-old floors that tell so many stories about how people have lived in our house before we did. I’d say we have scars as well as wrinkles but I love them.

That sounds beautiful. And it would not be difficult for you to replace just the one plank (or more, not sure how many were damaged). You could even do it yourself if you wanted a project, but it also does not cost too much to have someone else come in and replace the damaged plank (s) - it would be especially easy for your original installer.

And that was what I was trying to say. I realize now that it came off quite sassy, but it’s not how I meant it, I was thinking out loud and tend to be too literal at times. My point was that it can be fixed. Of course, you can fill it with wood putty and then draw in the grain, that’s a good fix but you can also replace the plank, which is one reason why wood floors persevere (they’re easy to repair without replacing the whole floor).

I think, above everything, that everyone should have the floor the way they want it.

I caught that too. A gouge is different than a scratch. If it’s a gouge then maybe the guests should pitch in for the repair.

Thanks for that, it is locally milled tongue and groove and each one is nailed too so replacement of 4 feet of the floor is not really possible without a ginormous effect. My husband is a journeyman carpenter by trade. I will get over it. Thanks again everyone

1 Like

My spaces are in a 101 year old duplex with original hardwood floors. At that age, I’m just trying to keep them in the best shape possible.

@Thunderlake - If your space is new, I can now see where you’d be at least a little upset about a scratch. Air would call it a cost of doing business even though it’s a brand new space. Since your space is accessible, I’d invest in some of the washable rugs, and take them up if the person is in a wheelchair. We have pets, we have Ruggables in our home, not sure I’d recommend them over time, they’re a pain to put back together after washing and the pattern seems to wear off. But I just got a NuLoom washable rug for the kitchen in my downstairs space, and really like it so far. Very low pile, rubber backing, like a low-pile bathmat. We’ll see how it holds up over time.

1 Like

So true. We have at least one spot that has to be monitored and re-sealed occasionally to make sure that people don’t get splinters. Someday we’ll replace that board but I’m sure you’re aware of how long the someday list is for old houses.

1 Like

You are such a sadist! Unless, of course, that was a typo :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you! I fixed it! :rofl:

1 Like