COVID inquiry had a weird vibe

I think global warming has it down to 5

As long as my my friends (and neighbors) give me enough notice to block out days they want to stay, I do not expect compensation. I do however expect them to know the difference between Dish soap and DW pods :wink:

When I select ‘kitchenette’ there is nothing that comes up the defines what it that might include.

1 Like

Haha. That reminds me of what my good friend told the doctor when she went in to tell him she wanted her tubes tied after having 3 kids. The doctor asked her if she was sure and asked her to tell him why. She thought about it for a minute and replied “Shoes and socks”.

Having raised 3 myself, this was so clear. You get the 3 year old all dressed to go out, complete with an argument about why they have to wear shoes to the grocery store, then run to grab your shopping list and handbag, only to find that the kid has now taken the shoes and socks back off.

2 Likes

It’s so perfect :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush: :blush:

1 Like

That’s really weird! I could understand why you might want a minimum square footage for a gas stove or oven, but an electric stove? Other than requiring the proper wiring and GFCI breakers near faucets, what would be the reason? I don’t care about having an oven for a couple of days, but if I’m traveling to work I do prefer to have one. I’ve been known to travel with working sourdough looking for an oven. :bread: :baguette_bread: :bread: :baguette_bread: :bread:

if you look at the picture I posted, there is an electric 4-burner cooktop, on the island, below the range hood. I said ovens are not permitted.

but maybe we have a language discrepancy. I think of “stove” as cooktop.

The reason for the code is a rather dated attempt to limit multi tenant units in residential single family zoning.

I will say I prefer those guests who don’t cook very much so not having an oven is not anything I plan to add.

2 Likes

Stove to me means a unit with burners and an oven. A “cooktop” is a relatively recent invention in the history of cooking appliances, I think. I never saw just a cooktop anywhere, nor a separate oven, until I was well into adulthood.

You could get one of these plug-in mini ovens that they have in Japan. It’s just big enough to grill a couple of pieces of salmon or hear up a piece of pizza.

It was really common in the early 60s to have a cooktop on the counter and then a double oven on the wall - did you never come across those? I feel like most houses still had them when I was growing up in the 70s. My in-laws still have that set-up (in that era’s particular yellow of course ,)

They weren’t ever not available but I guess went out of trend or something. Personally, I’d love the double wall oven because you open the top one at eye-level instead crouching down. But I think the counter-top cooktop has to be electric and I couldn’t go electric.

This picture only has a single oven (it’s not my in-law’s but they do have those same cabinets as well, lol) but it’s common to have a second below the top, or sometimes a broiler. You can see the cooktop to the right but it’s often on the other side of the kitchen, mom-in-law’s is. She has the same old ovens but did replace the cooktop with one of the glass top induction models.

yellow wall oven

Gas ones existed in England and were more popular than electric. I remember them from being a kid.

1 Like

Yes, I saw these all the time in the 60’s and I have one friend now who still has her mostly original kitchen from the 60s intact and I think it’s good old “harvest gold.”

1 Like

Random story.

A few years ago our complex was tented for termites. We couldn’t stay at home obviously so went to a nearby rental.

Just a few weeks before this our oven had stopped working and we hadn’t got round to having it fixed due to one reason and another.

The rental had a full kitchen so I put all our frozen foods that needed oven-ing into a cooler so I’d be able to cook them during our four day stay.

You have probably guessed by now that it was like @HH_AZ’s kitchen and had no oven… :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Gas stovetops are widely available in Mexico, because there is much more running on propane here then up north. Hot water heaters, for instance, are almost always gas fired, not electric. I had to pay a lot when I lived in Canada for a propane stove, as they aren’t the norm. Here they’re cheap.

Gas stoves have always been the norm for me too (natural gas, not propane). Stoves, hot water heaters, dryers etc are most commonly natural gas in Texas. It’s very cheap fuel there because of all the refineries and oil in the area. Now that I live up north, they aren’t as common. But the gas costs more up here too. Even if you don’t use it all, they still charge you $33 as a transport fee or something. I didn’t appreciate the cheap natural gas in TX, because I didn’t realize it wasn’t always cheap. But the water up here is cheap as heck (but undrinkable) :smiley:

I had a center island, 6 burner, gas cooktop and separate double ovens on an opposing wall in my home 5 years ago. It was a custom build but I had the same setup in a previous one as well so gas cooktops are not out of the question.

My (was my Mom’s) stove and fridge. Both from late 70s and on their last legs. I’m about to paint the kitchen all white, too. I wish I could afford the remodel that would give me a gas cooking top w swappable broiler/griddle and an eye level electric convection oven, with a counter across from the cooktop/prep area so I can talk to friends while I cook.

As long as upstairs is empty, though…

1 Like

My parents had the ‘harvest gold’ double wall ovens with the harvest gold gas stove top. The choices, then, were “HG”, “Avocado Green”, “Almond” (beige / off white), Stainless

Gas was and is available in a cooktop, although these days I’d go induction.

The quintessential 70’s kitchen

3 Likes

I have an all in one slide in but I went with an induction top last year as part of my “aging in place” plan. I heard the story of a teacher from my high school who was elderly and living on her own. She did have a live in helper. She was making breakfast one morning and the sleeve of her robe caught fire on the gas burner. Although the aide did come to her assistance she died a few days later. Induction is the safest. I also like that smooth glass top which is easy to clean and really use.

1 Like

The last place I rented before buying this house I had an induction stove, which worked OK with my Revere Ware (I have collections from 3 family members plus my own, and I could cook a banquet for 20 and have pots left over), and once I got the right cleaner for the top, it was easy to maintain.

I have lived with electric stoves most of my life. No natural gas here, just propane, but plentiful cheap hydro. The one time I lived with a gas stove and roommates who taught me what great instant control you have over temps, I was sold forever on cooking on gas burners and griddles.

I don’t however, want a gas oven — one time I had trouble with starting the one in that stove, it blew me across the room and singed away one eyebrow, half my moustache, and most of the beard on the flamed side. I much prefer electric convection ovens.

Induction is excellent with this. Yes, not every bit of cookware will work but that’s okay.

I don’t use any special cleaners on my glass top. Magic eraser and microfiber cloth. If it’s really greasy the a touch of ammonia with paper towel first to cut the grease. All shiny, no streaks or haze.

1 Like

I find people so fall for the marketing of all these specialty products. My friend and neighbor must have 25 cleaning products under her sink- one for stainless, one for glass, one for her stovetop, one for this type of furniture, another for another type, one for the countertops, one for the floor, ad nauseaum.

There’s usually something really basic that would work just fine for any of it.

3 Likes