Covid-19 Safety For Hosts?

Anywhere in Mexico, Lemme at it<><> Taxco ok, San Miguel ok, Dolores Hidalgo Ok, Cozumel ok, even Yelapa I Think , still ok<><>
Unfortunately, my Hub MK did not want to relocate to South of the Borderlands. So I got to create a Poquito Hacienda here!

Cool. Well, you’ll just have to abandon the hubby sometime when COVID is over and come stay with me here in the outskirts of Sayulita for week or two. There’s a place just south of Yelapa I want to check out sometime- one of my guests had stayed there just before she came to my place- I’d ever heard of it, and there’s only a very few places to stay there, but it looks really nice. I actually haven’t been to Yelapa for many years, even though I could get there from here in a few hours. Maybe I’ll use my Superhost voucher.

After talking to my doc, and considering my history of asthma and juvenile tuberculosis, I won’t be hosting again until I’m vaccinated. I share a common entry area, and would have to be cleaning or raise my cleaning fee to pay a cleaner to clean to COVID standards.

Like you I’m going to miss with my wonderful guests, mostly independent travelers coming here for Alaska’s scenery, wildlife, and indigenous culture. I’ll be happy to do it again once I feel safe.

Only 2.57% of local population tested, 27 cases reported, 18 recovered, no deaths so far, in an isolated town of 33,000. State and local mandates require 14 day quarantine on arrival, and we’ve been on shutdown for a month.

Idiotic right wingnut governor will be allowing some businesses to reopen Friday. Hairdressers? Tattoo parlors? Gyms? I don’t think that will last long when our relatively flat curve locally and statewide starts to go up again. Our statewide medical community has been quite adamant about shutdown because Alaska’s medical facilities are limited and isolated.

4 Likes

I’d love for friends or relatives to come for a visit but they would have a mandatory 14 day quarantine on arrival, strictly enforced. Plus they would have to fly here.

1 Like

Have you discussed this with him? What do your House Rules say about cleanliness?

Of course not. He doesn’t know. He’s just a dude with a degree from a design school. How the hell would he know? But, again, the CDC has answered this. (And Airbnb has linked to it). They’ve answered it well. No other answers are needed, especially from unqualified folks like Chesky.

I’m honestly confused. Airbnb is not in the business of infection control. Why would hosts ask ask them about how to prevent people (e.g. guests) from spreading the virus into their homes?

The virus is spread by people. If you don’t want it in your home, then don’t invite people into it. Perhaps that’s the issue. The answer is to not have guests and that may be a disappointing answer. Gawd knows Chesky isn’t going to say it, but it is still the answer. Or perhaps you could just make it a house rule to not spread the virus, lol?

For reference, I actually do teach infection control to other medical professionals as part of my job. I recommend that everyone look to the CDC and your local department of health for these questions and not Airbnb.

No, please, seriously. Do not look to Airbnb for best practices. They don’t know. It is not what they do. This a public health emergency and Airbnb is not invited to the solutions think-tank.

Why would anyone look to Airbnb for advice during a pandemic? Makes no sense at all. In fact, it sounds wholly dangerous and a bit cultish.

2 Likes

Well, apparently a moratorium on evictions since the governor closed the courts :wink:

Besides, I’m not going to evict a doctor during a pandemic anyway :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

We are in the age group that is at most risk however Thailand has managed the Coronavirus well. As of this writing there are 50 deaths nationwide from a population of 69.8 million. A large part of this relatively low death rate is due to early efforts by the government and the attitudes of the people.
We have historically hosted overseas tourists and about 60% have been from our neighbor China. Once the virus arrived we found ourselves with no bookings but in the past two weeks we began getting bookings again but from a different direction. These are folks living in condos in Bangkok who haven’t had a full lockdown but are suffering from staring at the same walls everyday and with views from the windows of nothing but concrete. And along with this they are enduring eating carry out food day after day.
Our Airbnb offering is a guest house next door to where we live. This is in a rural setting with an abundance of greenery, birds, squirrels etc.
When guests arrive they are greeted with an infrared thermometer and expected to be wearing masks while we settle them in. After that the only other contact with the guests will be as we serve a breakfast that is prepared off site and this is done by setting up the table on an outside deck before the guests are called. We have really minimized our exposure and have given our guests a real break in their quarantine routine and they have been very appreciative.
We don’t have back to back bookings and so we can devote plenty of time to a thorough and detailed cleaning and sanitizing.

3 Likes

I have three risk factors but I’m still cleaning my whole house rental for longer stays (28 days). I wear a face mask and gloves. I clean everything with Lysol or Clorox.

1 Like

Doctors in New York have reported that 70% of the COVID patients admitted to hospitals there had no fever whatsoever. Taking temperature is not at all an effective means to screen for coronavirus, just so you know.

But it’s great to hear that your country seems to have this under control.

1 Like

Hi Muddy
We would love to come see you!
We’ve been to Sayulita, loved it and stayed at Playa Escondida. (fyi a pelapa hotel with an infinity pool, private cove etc) It was really nice and there were only a few guests! This was before they raised their prices.
Yes, there is a small town south of Cabo Corrientes that lives in my heart!
I’ve got some good true yarns about Yelapa in the old days…

2 Likes

@muddy
Hi Muddy
Our Canadian family has had a place in PV for decades and Sayulita is a favorite day trip for us. See you next trip!

We are a large rural wilderness county with a small population - mountains, ranches, beaches, rivers - and tourism is with the arts, our focus. We are similar to you with the testing and the health resources. We’re working hard to keep our population safe. It is a blessing to be S-I-P in such a gorgeous place, but sharing it with visitors is the best, and we miss it. Sending you our best wishes and abundant good health!

Excellent- do shoot me a message next time you’re coming down and come by for a beer or some iced tea. I live in an area of Sayulita you may not be at all familiar with. It’s quiet countryside.
Right now, no one from outside is getting into Sayulita. As with many places in Mexico, residents have taken matters into their own hands to prevent the spread of the virus. There are 30 guys on each end of town, 24/7 stopping every car and you can’t get in if you aren’t a resident of this town or a delivery vehicle. I’m so grateful to those volunteers.

3 Likes

I love that the town is being safety minded, this is so excellent!

I’m in the same boat. It was great while it lasted but I’m thinking that I’ll stop hosting for at least a couple of years. Financially very difficult, but getting covid19 would be more difficult. I even bought a separate microwave and mini frige in February and planned on having a “no use of my kitchen policy” but I cannot see how to accomplish that given what we keep learning about the spread of this disease. I think the only prudent thing to do is stop until there’s a vaccine. Then require guests to provide documentation of such vaccine before booking—much like when I use a kennel for my dog. Sounds terrible I know, but what else can we do? Stay safe.

1 Like

I don’t think this will be necessary and it also probably won’t be allowed by Airbnb. Just as someone could bring bedbugs or another infection or disease there will always be risks with doing Airbnb. It’s just a matter of managing risk and hosting in shared space right now doesn’t make sense.

I’m not sure. Bedbugs and most other diseases/infections are quite different from Covid-19. I’m reserving judgment on whether something like Covid immunity documentation will be a requirement—or, really, whether such a thing as Covid immunity will ever exist.

If there is no assurance for my husband and me of immunity, I can’t see a clear path forward for us ever hosting again. Or even having friends and family in our house again.

It’s very murky. Not enough is yet known.

3 Likes

On the basis that we may be opening some time in July, we are now discussing what protocols we need to put in place to protect not just us, but guests as well.

We’re a bit different to many on here, we have two separate self contained apartments on our ground floor, and we live above.

Other than the issue about the garages, we can have pretty minimal contact, as we do currently with many guests. It’s the cleaning and sanitising that we need to work on.

JF

1 Like

We have a small fridge and an extra one if needed plus microwave, hot water pot and coffeemaker…all in the guest suite. No stove or oven, which many guests want to use. And group meals often happen here…alas. No more fun! Money cannot buy health. I help run a nonprofit live theatre, here, so I am watching the medical/legal/social/business issues very carefully. We may not be able to safely re-open the theatre either. It is to me a bit like running an airline: seating, ventilation, bathrooms, lobby, refreshments, and constant cleaning.
Stay Safe, Cali!

1 Like