Could I have replied better?

I doubt it. They texted me the morning after check in to ask how to turn the heat down. The thermostat can be set to 50; they set it to 60, so the heat likely wasn’t on at all during their stay. (My co-host on the second floor said his thermostat was reading 65, he has his thermostat set to 58 and no a/c running.)

It’s as if they made the bed as warm as humanly possible, then cranked up the a/c to max. Why not just sleep under the top sheet if you’re so hot (in a 62 degree room)? I’m truly boggled.

Assuming this was a man and woman, I suppose it could be a case of the one spouse likes it warm and the other likes it cold. Or, as is the case in my house right now, a woman in menopause… just giving the benefit of the doubt.

Two women, each in their own bedroom. :woman_shrugging:

The guest has left her review, and I’m struggling to find the right words for her. Since reviews are written for future hosts, how would you address the a/c issue? Would you even bother to mention it at all? I don’t know why, but this guest’s behavior really irked me.

Currently, I have:

R left the apartment neat and tidy and followed our house rules. We ask our guests to turn off the air conditioning when they leave, but both bedroom units were left running on High when they checked out. Otherwise an uneventful stay; we would probably host R again.

Is turning off ac in your rules?, I have it in house manual and would not say rules followed if it was left on.

So they broke the rules…

I would just say,

R left the house clean but left the AC on high in both rooms at checkout. I am not a hotel, I do not have deep pockets I would not host R again.

RR

1 Like

Nope, not a rule. But the departure instructions are prominently posted in the apartment kitchen. Which is partially why I am ambivalent about mentioning it. Perhaps I should mention it in pvt feedback instead? I am wondering what other hosts would want to know, though.