Coronavirus and extenuating circumstances (EC)

Anyone OFFER trip insurance to their guests? I know of hosts that do that and it’s a good way to earn a little extra money. If so, which company do you use?

I would suggest you ask the hosts you know who are doing this @JulieHere

I would suggest the insurance company you use would depend on what country /area you live in.

I haven’t heard of hosts who do this.

To be honest. I have more than enough to do without having to deal with guests wanting to claim on any policy I sell them and moaning if they can’t make the claim they want.

ZeroHedge: Travel Sector Collapses Into “Great Crisis” Amid Slump In Flight Bookings

Twitter users are reporting airports across the world are “empty”

I’ve closed down the listing for my upscale room and will just offer my cheap-o, backpacker Shire for now.

@Helsi enjoy the sun. we can get pretty far here in N.America w/o planes so I DEFINITELY plan to keep on the move.

@NordlingHouse and yeah, what about ye olde Alaska Highway? (If you’ve got a couple months …)

@RiverRock @KKC I believe on Wall Street it’s called, a bit crudely, “BTFD.” Well here it comes, a big big dip, if you’ve got the nerve for it.

Definintely. I’ve been expecting one for over a year now, pre CV. Of course while I was sitting in cash the market went up 20% so now if I wait for another 15% dip I can get in where the market was a year ago.

I’m seriously more interested in fire sales on travel.

1 Like

I went cash 2 nights ago, we’ll see … I guess that is the opposite of BTFD.

EDIT: I’m thinking the disruption to supply chains China > N. America and the world mean the dip will be severe.

1 Like

Last crash was ~50% over a period of 2 years if I remember correctly. So I’m not buying yet. Given the huge recovery I expected the next dip to be extreme, CV or not.

I have a tripped planned to visit California in late April and again in August. I’m glad I haven’t bought my tickets yet since the April flights are on sale for $79 one-way.

I’m looking forward to some stock sales. If only I just hadn’t gotten my bathroom remodeled, I’d have more cash to take advantage of the dip but if we are truly entering a recession, I will have time to save up some cash to invest.

I will probably not have much AirBnB income over the next few months when if I reopen next week. Ah well! Who could have known that the tourism industry would plummet? I’m just thankful my spouse and I are both gainfully employed and AirBnB isn’t necessary to pay our bills.

Some of the other hosts here in Seattle are finding medium-term renters to ride out the next few months.

Juneau is landlocked, not connected to the highway system. Closest connection is by ferry, 90 miles to Haines, which does connect to the Alaska Highway. Most of our tourism is mass market cruise ships (up to 20k pax/day) but my guests are independent travellers. About 2/3 by plane, the rest by ferry, and the ferries have been having budget problems, one of the reasons we’re recalling our loony tunes rightwing no-tax governor since his vetoes and poor management have shut ferries down for the past month, and they really won’t start up again until April. Most of my Air bookings are 45-30 days out.

Yes indeed – sorry I had you in Juneau confused with Valdez. (& of course Haines.) Refreshes my memory of visiting Cordova, also landlocked, and riding the highway out to where it ended … near a pond where we went birdwatching with the local ranger. My Cordova friends did have tales of riding snow machines over the mountain passes into Valdez but looking at a terrain map just now, that looks like a really tough route so maybe I misremember their story?

Hope you get enough traffic to make some $$$$ in the coming season, it could be a bumpy ride …

They could only do that in the winter when the Copper River and all the smaller tributaries are frozen. They followed the old railroad right of way to Kennecott, then the highway to Copper Center and Valdez.

AH RIGHT. I was well aware that surface travel takes off in the winter in the Yukon-Kuskokwim after freezeup, via the tributary system, of course this would apply to the Copper River < home of the magnificent salmon that get airlifted to gourmet chefs when the season opens.

Wow you are brave, particularly as you live in a country where healthcare is so, so expensive.

I just have an annual policy that covers me wherever I go @RiverRock

Here’s my post for guests:
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
Spring 2020. Just in case…
Wash your hands well & frequently. Use your own towel only.
If you can tell before you arrive that you are getting sick, let me know and I’ll refund your full visit.
If you start feeling ill while here, either go home or isolate yourself in your room (except for using the bathroom, that’s ok, just use your own towel). I will bring food and drinks to your door. Please do not snuffle and sneeze all over the house trying to decide if you are sick or not.
If I feel I am getting sick, or if I have sick guests,I will let you know and will recommend you cancel your stay (full refund).
Thanks in advance!