Convincing landlord to rent house and then list it on Airbnb

Then I’m afraid you’ve either the attention span of a gnat and couldn’t get through my ‘tome’, or again, you only pay attention to what suits you - which would have been nothing in my last post.

For what it’s worth, there is nothing that could induce me to allow someone with the likes of your belief systems to use one of my properties for any kind of venture. You’ve shown more about yourself here than you realize, and I can assure you none of it is encouraging.

Well said BBM, I am actually thinking this poster is just so out of touch that he is doing this to mess with us.

@everyone
It’s unfortunate that your personal feelings towards me have clouded your judgment, and relegated you to narrow mindedness. The fact of the matter is that my inquiry is obviously intended for those who are already looking to rent out their space, but whom don’t want to actually manage an Airbnb listing themselves (many, many people, I assure, it’s simpky finding them). Indeed, you would all be shocked to learn just how many homeowners (with half a brain, who understand the value of such an undertaking) fall into this category.

Here’s what I’m going to do.
When I finally get my next rental up and running, I am going to post pictures of the amazing space, and later, monthly earnings from the unit.
This wil give me much pleasure.

Airhost1, If you are talking about vacation rental management, where the host/homeowner is hiring you to do it, that’s a DIFFERENT thing than renting out your own rented apartment on Air B&B.

You had said you were looking over your shoulder and doing it on the “down low” (Your words) so I assumed you meant your own place.

In Hawaii and possibly other states, you are allowed to manage one (1) property without a real estate license. You must be a licensed real estate agent to do any more than that. If you are caught, you’d face big fines.

Before I had my own studio (on site where I live, in a home that i OWN) available on Air, I did property management for my good friend’s place on the beach down the street. It’s a huge job and a huge PITA. I was doing this as a favor at first because the place wasn’t busy. But then it got crazy busy… and there’s inventory to buy, appliances to replace, service people to wait for, cleaners to schedule, septics to pump, bugs to spray, trash to remove, gardeners to coordinate, etc., and worst of all, guest complaints. How bout double bookings and cleaners who quit suddenly? Neighbors who complained. I had my fill and quit when a guest called me at 11:30 at night because there were B52 cockroaches in the carport. Was I going to come down and kill them? NO. Then when another one called, wanting me to bring them new lounge chairs and move them around the beach/yard for them. GET LOST! I’m not your slave! (Didn’t say that, but thought it!) I quit.

My life has been much more stress free since I don’t have that damned albatross on my back. And my relationship with my friends is greatly improved as well.

If you plan to do vacation rental management for a living, check the local real estate regulations in your area. Oh wait, you don’t give a whit about that kine stuff.

Oh and as far as cleanliness goes, I GUARANTEE the units I rent, even with all the people coming in and out, is MUCH CLEANER than units with long term renters, especially those units with young people/students.

Hands down guarantee. No question.

But be honest. You’re anonymous on a forum so you don’t have to worry about anyone turning you in. (Whether it’s letting to long-term or short-term tenants, cleanliness is irrelevant to this issue.)

Are you, or are you not, subletting your rental housing in violation of your lease?

How old are you, BTW? Just curious.

Its is a little confusing, but as I understood reading it few times OP was trying , after renting out rooms secretly, going officially and get permissions of landlords to do Airbnb in a rented appartment. But so far 10 of them said “NO”.
So, I think the question was what to offer landlords to interest them in doing it. May be certain percentage? May be I am wrong, buti think that was an idea.

I think a landlord who acquires, fixes up & rents multiple properties (& is cash poor) might consider your offer. This is someone who really needs cash every month (to do renovations/repairs in diff properties) but doesn’t have the time to rent on AirBNB. These types of landlords often don’t care much about their property & are loose about legalities & insurance regs because they would lie to ins companies (& ask u to as well) if something went wrong.

This landlord would value the ease & reliability of your monthly rent in addition to a 30-50% cut of your Airbnb profits. An extra $500 a month means a lot to people like this who are paying multiple mortgages & trying to maintain sloppily renovated properties. Hoods in very early stages of gentrification are prime targets for these types of landlords. I’ve had a few of them in my time.

I’m glad you’re trying to find a landlord who agrees to the arrangement rather than hiding it from an unsuspecting owner.

In order to make it worthwhile to a long term landlord you definitely have to give them a piece of the pie. If the landlord was okay with you doing this, they may need to purchase insurance for a short term vacation rental vs. long term landlord insurance. So that may be a large increase in the landlords overhead expenses.

I I were a landlord - I would want to be convinced that you will be staying and living with the guests in the home, and that you are not renting out to people who are just going to throw a party with the house all to themselves. So you would need to convince me that party people are not staying.

Then you would have to show me the money. So here are some options: I could sign a new lease with you and increase your rent by at least double. You are responsible for paying that amount and you keep whatever is leftover. No excuses if it is a slow Airbnb month.

Or as a landlord, I would want a percentage. How you would work that out - I don’t know. Would I want access to your Airbnb account to verify the reservations, briefly monitoring your screening? - probably. I would need to know that you aren’t stiffing me.

Also, make sure you crunch the numbers with added utility costs, furnishings, linens, laundry, etc coming out of your own pocket. And then add in the percentage or extra rent you would have to pay. After all that, figure out if it is still worth it.

I would set a reasonable cleaning fee that you keep for yourself. And then you and the homeowner arrange to split the rental income. But make sure the cleaning fee is reasonable. Don’t set a $60 cleaning fee for a room that takes 30 minutes to clean. Then the landlord will think you are purposely charging a high cleaning fee so you can split less of the night rate.

Also, you will be responsible for collecting and remitting any lodging taxes from guests.

But…you should be certain you present this to people who would have no interest nor the time in doing this themselves. Because if you approach a landlord who does have the time, he may just think he can make more money as an Airbnb and get you out when your lease ends.

2 Likes

Nice answer, Cabin. You are so gracious and wise, as usual!

1 Like

I’m looking for landlords who are simply fed up with their current situation, late paying tenants, people who lounge around all day and hardly work, etc., tenants who live in filthy, unsanitary quarters.

My offer means a more reliable income stream, cleaner and better-cared for property (whoever said cleanliness is not important–what a ludicrous assertion. Foolish. Of course it matters. Pest infestations, odors, the money it takes to remedy such spaces when those individuals vacate the premises, on and on…) The demographics for guests utilizing short term rentals is, by and large, composed of regular people who want to save money on lodging. End of story. Landlords know that getting stuck a PITA tenant is hell. Eviction can drag on for months, and one bad tenant can cause other, well mannered, peaceful tenants to vacate in search of more suitable lodging.
With Airbnb, in the event there is trouble with a particular guest, it is very short lived as most guests’ reservations are only a few days. Win-win.

And, lest we forget, on a broader scale short term rentals represent a significant boost to local economies.
One report (http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/09/airbnb-research-data-dump/) from HR&A suggests that traveling tourists who utilize Airbnb spend considerably more money during their stay than those in traditional motels. But I digress.

I’m very reluctant to share any profits from my venture. I’m doing landlords a favor as is by ameliorating the uncertainty of inconsistent cash flows and ensuring the premises is immaculately maintained over the long term.
As a property owner, if someone told me they’re going to keep my property clean and pay rent on time every month, that is all I would need to hear.

1 Like

Airhost,

You are not addressing the issue of liability though. So what happens if a guest gets hurt on the property? They try to sue for injury, etc. - and then their attorney discovers they made a booking through Airbnb, and the landlord did not have the proper insurance? I honestly don’t know what kind of insurance someone needs when they share with guests on Airbnb. I rent out a full second home, so I need to have short term vacation rental insurance. This is not the same thing as landlord insurance for long term renters.

Would you be living with these guests? Or do you just want to sign the lease (be responsible for the rent) and live elsewhere while you rent the property out?

And are you saying that the majority of landlords do not have tenants who pay on time? Most landlords do credit checks, ask for previous references, etc. to try and weed those out. Of course it happens, but it surely should not be the majority.

1 Like

Airhost, we get what you are trying to do. Manage vacation rentals for landlords who want their properties to be income-earners. You misunderstood me re the “cleanliness” factor. What I said was cleanliness was not relevant to the issue you have brought up: whether you can sublet or not. If you can’t then it doesn’t matter if the bathroom is scrubbed. If you cannot sublet, then it doesn’t matter if your tenants are long term or Air. YOU CAN’T SUBLET.

Yet…I’m still confused. Are you looking to rent properties personally and then do Air BnBs on them and keep the money?
Or are you looking for ones that are already Airs and manage them? Either way, you’ll be operating a business and should be properly licensed and insured, etc… all the things that business owners have to do… And don’t forget the taxes!. It sounds like property management to me, and in most states, property managers have to be licensed real estate agents.

As homeowners, we can write off our depreciation etc., from tenants if we have them. Would your clients be able to write off anything with your venture? Or would they simply be providing a place for you to mark up and make a buck on? :smile:

If your idea is such a good and sound one, why haven’t you had a bunch of owners jump on it? :smile:

Then you may be should look in not so good and safe areas.
My father had many houses that he rented out for many years. The houses were in the areas I mentioned. He would probably be happy with your proposal without any percentage. He had bad tenants one after another , and I am sure he wold be happy to have someone who pays and wouldn’t mind you to do whatever just to keep his property clean and rent on time.
Ussualy the better the area , the better tenants would be. Their credit score is checked, employment verified, and ussualy they pay on time and don’t destroy anyhting.

Although tourists aren’t looking to stay in really crappy neighborhoods that are economically underdeveloped and lacking in commercial development. Tourists don’t mind a bit of edge as long as it’s centrally located and has cafes, restaurants, galleries, etc. So the challenge is finding a hood in early stages of gentrification.

1 Like

That’s very true…

The problem is if the landlord finds out you will be in a very hard situation yourself and the tenant. Airbnb will probably ban you from the website and the tenant will get evicted.

C’mon everyone, Airhost is obviously trolling us for the lulz of getting everyone so fired up. Don’t feed the trolls.

no don’t do it its too dangerous and the guy doing it in my city is driving me out of business!