Convicted Felon Review

Good old Canada :canada:

JF

1 Like

Not necessarily. I have never had a problem (just annoyances) with guests from Airbnb or any short term rentals. Long term is a different story.

However, it very much matters on each individual situation. For me personally, STR remains the best.

Right?
Thank goodness my own convicted felon guest’s crimes had been splashed on the front page of his hometown newspaper. Otherwise I wouldn’t have known say “oh dear” to myself before I went on as usual, making sure he had a nice stay.

1 Like

Not here you don’t, trust me on that’un. LTR is a fucking nightmare in Spain if you get a rogue tenant, and it’s been further exacerbated by the current government’s softly softly approach to evictions.

I know of folks making only €200/300 per month on STR, but accepting that rather than going down the LTR route.

JF

1 Like

Yep, landlord/tenant laws in Canada are really on the side of a tenant. You can’t even evict a guest during the winter months if they refuse to pay the rent.

My friend used to LTR and went to strs because of that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Had a hoarder with major mental health issues, took 6 months to get her out, with continued harassment after. Cost a fortune- much prefer STR- don’t like ‘em, gone in a few days!

4 Likes

Exactly…but it’s our fault there isn’t enough affordable housing. If I could just rent w/o the drama then I wouldn’t mind switching over. My mom owns some “affordable” housing units and it’s a giant nightmare constantly because of the tenants. I doubt she’s even making much profit, if not going in the hole, these days.

Frankly, FELONY = we are not interested in STR or LTR for them. Period. End of story.
There are few reasons for “not comfortable” that actually exceed “new account with local guest”, and this certainly qualifies.
Never forget the real lesson here. Air’s policy if something happens is to suspend the HOST without hesitation, take away your future bookings regardless of your rating and proven track record.
Take a chance on them? LOL! No thank you!

1 Like

So I have changed my terms on Airbnb. No more LTR’s. I still have to write the review. He was very pleasant guest until the last couple of days. I can give a negative review but I also want to be fair. He originally was going to leave on Friday with no refund back (6 days early), then was going to leave Thursday and come back on Sunday and stay for his complete stay. He ended up checking out on Thursday (9 days early). He stayed 47 days.

Please give me your edits. Thank you.

Luke seemed to enjoy being surrounded by nature. He was interested in learning new skills and about the surrounding wildlife. This would often lead to lengthy conversations. Luke would communicate about his reservation plans, but they would often change. He notified us when something needed attention in the house and when he damaged the storm door. During his extended stay, he maintained the house with basic housecleaning chores. It was unfortunate that 2 days before he checked out, he sent messages about how unhappy he was and then started asking for a refund. He went from an enjoyable guest to one that was unpredictable.

Start again.

JF

2 Likes

No mention of him screaming at your husband and calling the police on you for no reason? No mention that he broke the screen door in a fit of anger? No mention of his drunkenness?

John’s right. Start again. Stop making him sound like a nice guy who got a little weird for the last 2 days.

No need to go into detail. “Guest seemed fine and friendly for most of his long stay, although he reported to us that he had broken the door in a fit of anger. He then suddenly and for no apparent reason, became abusive and threatening towards us the last few days of his stay. It felt like he was trying to provoke a fight. Extremely stressful situation for us. Not recommended”.

7 Likes

I can understand that you might want to be fair, but ultimately, would you host this person again?

From what you’ve said about the last few days with him, I doubt there is any host on this site that would give him a chance.

2 Likes

"Would Never Host Again. Abrasive guest. Broke house rules. Caused damage. Poor communication".
As a potential future host, all I want to know is enough to STAY AWAY from that Fking lunatic and not remotely consider hosting him. I don’t need the details or "how nice he seemed before the “switch flipped”.
1 Star for everything including cleanliness because he broke a DOOR. Make sure to hit NO for “would you host again”.
Keep it simple. Post it when there is 3-5 min left on day 14 and he won’t have time to post a review of his own.

1 Like

Thanks @Jefferson. He has already posted a review and he’s waiting for mine. Good information.

Hopefully he wrote it while drunk, it violates review policy and you’ll be able to get it removed.

2 Likes

As he has already posted his, you can just post yours without delay. BUT, as you can expect his to be very bad (1 Star), you may want to delay that against your stats as long as possible - until day 14.
Keep your fingers crossed that he posted something NOT RELEVANT. Often that is the one key to getting them to remove it.
Even with all the BS and the damage, Air may well not remove a review unless he wrote something that is “Not Relevant” to your listing. It is certainly in your favor that he is a convicted FELON. So, even if his review is short and factual, we would absolutely fight to get a bad review removed - and post DAILY on FB’s Twitter and FB pages. That seems to escalate things in your favor.

1 Like

Neither. I was saying that it’s fair to mention it in the review, it is public record in the US so I don’t see any issue with mentioning it so that the next host is aware and can make an informed decision.

I specifically said “in Florida”. It varies greatly by state in the US but Florida is specifically known for being landlord friendly (and a tenant’s nightmare).

No you didn’t, you only mentioned Florida in passing at the end :stuck_out_tongue:

JF

I said, “especially” which is defined as “used to single out one person, thing, or situation over all others.”

And I don’t want to dive too far into the English language, but you surely remember learning about “context” in which case I was specifically talking directly to someone who is in Florida.

Don’t be a :poop: I’m having a hard day. And you clearly have nothing to do. You specifically, especially.

1 Like

Aw, poor you. Have a pick me up glass of Rioja, on me :wine_glass:

I actually have plenty to do, the main task being to put the house back in order before my OH comes home from a five day trip to Scotland.

However first, I’m off to dose up on Jerez anti freeze and will probably have a frenzied cleaning session mañana :wink:

JF

1 Like