Consequences of zero IT skills

What’s your point? Obviously one needs to use tech to use an online booking platform or post on a forum.

But that no one can manage their day to life, which was stated as if it were some undeniable fact, without using tech, is simply untrue.

These are the words that @casailinglady actually used, not “manage their day”. It is simply true for the VAST majority of Americans, as she wrote. Many forms of tech are a daily part of our lives: Browsing, Email, Mobile Phones, Texting, Social Media (including forums), and so on.
Arguing against that truth, while spending your entire day on these forums, is bit disingenuous.

3 Likes

Disingenous? I didn’t say I don’t use tech, but I know people who live quite simply and do not find they have a need for any of what you listed to “navigate day to day life” (which isn’t any different than “managing their day”).

And she didn’t say “the vast majority”, she said “one cannot navigate”, which reads as if it is impossible for anyone to avoid.

You misquote things which are right in front of you simply to argue with me. I guess I’ll tell the people I know who avoid high tech as much as possible, and use it seldom, that their lives have been deemed impossible to live. They’ll find that quite amusing.

Whatever. You just enjoy being contrary and do it a lot. She writes one thing, then you change her actual words to suit your purpose, and interpret and argue as you see fit.
Maybe tomorrow will be a better day for you?

1 Like

Admittedly, this is EXACTLY why I love the QR codes (vs. the paper menu), because I can enlarge the text easily, rather than fumble for the glasses I forgot to bring anyway :face_with_monocle: My backup is actually my phone…I use the magnifying tool so I can read the paper menu. I’m a mess! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Maybe you should stop looking for fights and then acting as if someone else started it, then signing off with a snotty, condescending remark.

1 Like

It’s not derogatory. It’s based off the name of the man who opposed machinery used in textile manufacturing - Ned Ludd.

Truth

You know me… always with the spoon to stir the pot! :wink:

Europe and Asia are leaps and bounds ahead of the US in respect to all age groups being tech-savvy and using technology. IT’s terrific to see, as a current IT professional!

We used to use fountain pens after we stopped using quills with which to write. Now we use a stylus on a touch screen or a ball point pen (that was created so astronauts could write in zero gravity).

Smart tech is the new quill.

begging to differ. Check out at the grocery store using the card reader and a keypad? Tech. Feeding a parking meter with a chip card? Tech. Heat the house? Tech. Get your bills paid online? Tech. Pay paper bills? They’re generated by digital wi-fi readings from digital meters. Tech.

Awwww. thanks! >blushes< I don’t hear that very often! :blush:

Glasses AND my phone!!

And you think everyone does those things? Some people:

Pay at grocery store with cash.
Live where there are no parking meters.
Heat with a wood stove.
Pay bills at the office where they need to be paid.

How bills etc. are generated doesn’t mean the person paying them needs to use tech to do so.

Don’t quite understand why anyone would insist that everyone needs to use tech in their day to day lives just because they can’t conceive of not doing so in their own lives and can’t envision different lifestyles.

2 Likes

How ironic, since I merely defended @casailinglady from your snarky commentary. Naturally, you will ignore this, and deflect with something new and tangential to justify your viewpoint? Or … maybe you will just let it go and move on? :roll_eyes:

Yes, you can find exceptions or alternatives, but the world is all about efficiency - why would someone choose to travel to the storefront of your local utility when it can be an automated transfer? I for one use the time saved from doing busywork errands to do things that truly give me joy…

I certainly prefer to be efficient and pay things online, but I know people who have no credit cards and don’t do online banking. There are people who don’t even have bank accounts.

These folks will be unable to access my airbnb or anyone else’s, because to book me they would have to have all these things. You don’t get far in the STR world without basic tools (like internet access) and I for one am happy not to have to deal with folks who can claim they cannot communicate after booking because “I let my hubby do all this and he goes to sleep at 8 and 5G scrambles brains, so I do not have a phone”.

1 Like

Dictionary Definitions from Oxford Languages:

Lud·dite

/ˈlədˌīt/

noun

DEROGATORY

a person opposed to new technology or ways of working.

“a small-minded Luddite resisting progress”

HISTORICAL

a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).

2 Likes

Sorry guys - but if it saves even one life I’m cool with it.

1 Like

“park my car”
“greet me”
“take my coat”
“bring me to the table”
“smile darling”
“bring me water”
“bring me a menu”
“tell me the specials”
“discuss the ingredients”
“take my drink order”
“take my dinner order”
“bring me my check”
“bring me my receipt”
“bring me my car”

Yeah,‘service’

1 Like

My Mom is an anti-tech Luddite. She was told many years ago that she was not mechanically inclined and uses that as an excuse > that it’s just impossible for her to learn. She is actually very smart in other ways! It’s very sad because her life on US west coast has become extremely limited due to her refusal to learn even a simple smart phone. She had a cell line that she thought was a land line… she had a tech savvy long term Bf that did all that stuff for her, but they don’t reside together anymore. She thinks its possible to get all the information she needs from newspapers or radio, and uses cash and checks. :rofl: :crazy_face:
She is so determined and so stubborn about living in a past that is gone. It’s crazy! Somehow things do work out for her but not without a lot of work-around, patience and stress added.
Plenty of other older generation people (age 75-90) in our families are not as well educated and love tech and use it daily and well!

I love tech in many ways but also hate its intrusion where I don’t want it such as in a door lock, restaurant or online bill paying. A friend gifted me her iphone so she could text me and since then I’ve been more uptodate :relaxed:, and I’m thankful to have an internet based business! I know everything is moving in the tech takeover direction, and I will just wait for that avalanche to hit me.

My Dad also wouldn’t learn tech, I was doing CAD and tried to encourage him, he was an architect all his life. It would have been amazing, but he preferred hand drafting.

3 Likes

And they probably have no need to, nor would they want to.

2 Likes

Are they making new shoes (a cordwainer) or repairing old shoes (a cobbler)? If they are a cordwainer, don’t dare call them a cobbler, specifically because they are English. In the states, we’re ok with cobbler, but these days we just call ourselves shoemakers.

But the English have a long history of using cordwainer as a title and a status, they are very finicky about the difference (I have been yelled at :joy:. ) It’s like being an executives vs being a janitor for them. In fact, in the US colonies, the Brits did not even allow colonists to be cordwainers, they could only be cobblers, which is why we use that word more commonly here. I only ask because I have never met an English cobbler, but maybe they just keep it on the down low.

1 Like

I had a client who used to proudly ‘weird flex’ say “I’m a dinosaur”. I used to suggest he just say, “I’m too lazy to learn”. Admittedly eventually he didn’t pay his bill but I still get more satisfaction from saying that than banking the $$$. I’m 75.

4 Likes

I had one, a website client, who would say “but I’m a florist!”

:roll_eyes: