Consequences for writing a bad review?

This is an excellent piece of advice. It gives me a lot to think about, and I appreciate that it exhibits the same measured, intelligent approach you are advocating.

Please don’t do that. Just describe the behavior in your review so we can judge whether it’s a problem. Even if I don’t find it offensive, I would still like to be forewarned.

I’ve only given a few negative reviews and they involved violation of smoking rules.

2 Likes

Just had to chuckle to myself. After reading everyone’s comments it hit me - this is what hosting is all about! We all walk in different shoes. There are things that work for some and things that don’t. I appreciate the differences.

What made me chuckle was that I recently had a guest who, I just knew, wasn’t going to give me a good review. Her written comment was simply “No comment” thus not stating anything specific that was a problem, but left 2 and 3 stars. I had another guest during the same period who just loved the place! (I share 2 bedrooms in my home). I was so pissed, that instead of writing a response (which wouldn’t have made any sense, as she hadn’t said anything that I could respond to), I simply sent her a note through the platform thanking her for the GREAT REVIEW that she left me! “Killed her with kindness!” She wrote back confused about my message and thanked me for my professionalism. I just left it at that.

@house_plants what ever the reason, I’m glad that you stood by your policy. I’ve often given refunds, whether or not I could rebook. The few times I didn’t was because one guest just didn’t show, didn’t respond, and after 2-weeks went to Airbnb for a refund. One other time was weeks after the guest checked out. She must have been staying somewhere else too, because I hardly saw her. In both cases, when I said “No,” to Airbnb, they stood by me!

I’ll end this by saying that I tend to lean towards the “not leaving a negative review” side of the spectrum. The closest I’d go is something like @muddy suggested. It’s been a while… is the question still asked, “Would you host this person again?” I think this is the most important question of all. In the 8-years that I’ve been hosting, I’ve said, “no” in less that a handful of cases. And I agree with @Deanna_Hargreaves who noted, “other hosts might not find their behaviour a problem.” I ask myself, “Is this a situation that would offend most people, or is it more of a personal perspective on how someone should behave as a guest?”

1 Like

Our consequences of a guest writing a bad review is they don’t get to come back. Really. The one 4 star review we got this year complained about the rug shedding when they moved the furniture around as well as a few other very picky things we fixed. We responded to the review that we took that into consideration and replaced the rug, and updated the pictures.

She tried to rebook for the next year. We said no. We told her it was obvious our place was not a good fit for her group.

That plays into my thoughts when writing reviews when I’m a guest. If I’d like to stay there again it’s 5 stars. Why would I want to stay in a four star place?

1 Like

Not really. All that saying you wouldn’t host them again accomplishes is that they can’t instant book with you again. It doesn’t help other hosts at all.

2 Likes

OH! Right… I forgot. Thanks for the reminder.

She had last-minute jitters because of rising cases (I remember clearly what was going on around Christmas – some of my own family agonized at the last minute over their travel plans (some cancelled, some didn’t)… perfectly understandable).

She asked you and Airbnb if she could cancel, you both said “no,” she accepted that and didn’t “punish” you during a stay you yourself describe as “unexceptional” (i.e. no problems) and left the place clean
I can’t see anything in there that would have convinced me to give her anything less than five stars. I’ve had guests over the years that were dicks – but getting cold feet at the last minute during a week when case numbers were going crazy is not “dick” behaviour.

Honestly – I think the *** rating was a punitive over-reaction to having to deal with someone who was not doing anything malicious – she was a nice person (“unexceptional” stay, “clean”) who was increasingly afraid of travelling in light of the nightly reports on TV news.

4 Likes

I appreciate your explanation and I can now see that I made a mistake in giving her a 3* review.

2 Likes

So… now what?

Maybe because they took your suggestions into consideration and actually fixed some or all of the issues??

It also prevents them from Instant Booking w a host who requires positive recommendations from other hosts…although I suppose it is possible that it is only within the last year or whatever timeline AirBnB might use…anyone have any experience woth this to know if it “times out” or not?

1 Like

I’m not so sure about that. I have read hosts saying it only prevents that guest from IBing with that host.

It is an optional criteria hosts can choose for IB.

1 Like

Yes, I do know that. But suppose that 2 hosts have said they would host them again and 1 said they wouldn’t? Nowhere is there any indication that one “not recommended” would prevent the guest from IBing with other hosts.

And hosts have also been told by Airbnb that only a 1* rating is considered to be a negative guest review.

Ok, that is your interpretation, which is obviously different than mine. I use the criteria and have received requests to book from many people, some that obviously had do not recommends from previous hosts.

No, it stops guests from using IB with any host who has the only positive reviews from other hosts option checked. If you never want them back at your place, you have to block the individual guests.

I actually know this based on a recent guest interaction.

3 Likes

Any host that has that option as a guest requirement for IB….

Yes, edited to fix that so @JohnF doesn’t practice any more snark on me!

5 Likes

House rules… don’t allow guests to move furniture around. Don’t want someone moving the bed to a different wall and then leaving it there! Don’t want torn up rugs or scratched floors. Nope! It’s in my rules.

I have an update with a similar incident from another guest. He asked for a refund, I politely declined and didn’t debate the refund policy with him. He came, stayed and left the place in ok condition. This time I gave the guest a five-star review. Not arguing with guests about refunds has served me well.

3 Likes