Confused about cancellation policy

I think this is debatable. :wink:

Errmmm I hope you aren’t just relying on “videos on youtube” to “make your own” masks.

The US is 13 days behind Italy and we started taking actions like working from home, closing schools, bars, restaurants, etc. before they did plus our cities aren’t as dense as Europe’s. It’s not going to be as bad as Italy and its not going to be as good as China where everyone wore a mask. In fact China has enough masks to give 2 to each citizen twice a week while the US doesn’t even have enough for doctor’s and nurses.

I would love for you to be correct but I haven’t seen anything that supports your theory. I’d love to see a recent article saying China’s pandemic is over. And if you think China is telling the truth about anything, you are mistaken.

3 Likes

The guests who are asking for refunds have reservations after April 14th. They have canceled their reservations and want a full refund. I am not planning to give them a full refunds. What I’m trying to figure out now is do I cancel all my Airbnb reservations -effectively shut down my airbnb and put it up for rent or should I look for someone who wants a 4 month rental and cancel all my reservations between now and August 1st?

If I had a chance at a good 4 month or longer rental I would take it. I’m not very interested in having a tenant or roomate but that could change. You are putting yourself at risk every time you clean the room.

Hi, I kind of went through the delisting process and here’s what I did.

1. Block all days, no new reservations.
  2. Message existing reservations, let them know you are planning to shut down by the end of the week and they should look for other accommodation.
  3. Repackage your property and find a way to list it for long term renters (furnished or unfurnished, will depend on your area etc).

Gluck

Just read an article by an expert in communicable disease. He said not until next spring. Speculation is a total waste of time and brain cells at the present time.

Yes I am using the Youtube videos to create my mask. Chinese citizens shared a bunch of different great ideas. Check them out!

Thanks for sharing your steps! I’m going to follow in your footsteps. Thanks again!

We have strict cancellation policy, no one is retaining any money… all going back to the guest.

Getoffmylawndummy,

A question for you - did you cancel the existing reservations? I assume doing so will mean that I can never put the unit on airbnb again right? Or do you think Airbnb will forgive this due to the pandemic?

And why would that be?

China is a VERY different country from anywhere I know of in North America, South America, or Europe. Their results, assuming their statistics are true, are very different from what ours will be.

China effectively shut down an entire province. They locked people in their apartments. They hunted down people who were out in the streets. They built a 1000-bed hospital in 10 days. They mandated behavior and got compliance (of course they would). I’m sure there are many other significant differences, too.

Nothing like that is likely to happen anywhere in the Western World. We balk at the recommendation for social distancing, much less isolation. Many, many people don’t comply. Many others think they comply, but they just take “a quick trip” to this store and “a quick trip” to that one. Quick trips don’t stop the spread of the virus.

Don’t count on three months for us. We are much more likely to resemble the trajectories in Italy. Not good and getting far worse by the day, and possibly for a very long time.

3 Likes

I’ve not yet cancelled any. I only have 2 left on the books, which for us is very very low. Those reservations are for after mid-April

I’m hoping they cancel on their own. I’ve messaged and emailed them but on Friday I plan to close the listing and their reservations will be cancelled then.

Very helpful thanks again!

This is a terrible idea. Please stop.

2 Likes

Very bad idea! Masks you make are very unlikely to protect you or others. The only thing they’re likely to do is drive people away from you when you’re away from home.

Better idea: Stay home and isolate. Totally.

2 Likes

Yes but Airbnb should pay something to the hosts, it was there decision to do this, it is a multi million dollar trading company, if you have a strict policy Airbnb should pay something

While I dont disagree that AirBnB should stand by its hosts and policies, I also think if you are depending on cancellation revenue to keep you afloat during these 2+ months you are already sunk. For better or worse we all need to take a hard look at our investments and make the most prudent decisions going forward

2 Likes

It would be to your benefit to read all the recent posts on this topic over the last week or so.

Yeah, it would be great, and perhaps you can offer the feedback to Airbnb but I think at this point we have to accept that this is not a good time to travel and we have to be understanding toward all businesses and individuals that are impacted by this awful illness.

3 Likes