Compliments on the Progress Page

Love getting the official Airbnb compliments from guests. Love seeing that guests say we offer outstanding hospitality, our home is sparkling clean, we provide thoughtful touches, etc.

I can bask in those compliments.

Until I start wondering what in the world is wrong with all the guests who didn’t give us those compliments.

Not a serious complaint. Just a smiling rant. :grin:

6 Likes

Say all the nice things and then give you FOUR stars because your offering is not the Ritz!

7 Likes

LOL!! I just had a message from a previous guest who wants to stay again. Apparently she loved the place. I couldn’t remember her at all but saw that she left 4* for everything except communication. Is it bad that I immediately wanted to say F off and give me a 1 for communication :laughing:

She actually left a nice written review and I’m desperate for bookings right now so I’ll maybe have a quiet word with her if she does actually book.

On topic @RebeccaF , yes the compliments thing is quite nice. I think… still making my mind up! But it does show you what people really appreciate and where you’re on the right track.

6 Likes

Had a guest leave 4 stars for experience and value. He then rang me for a direct booking…asked him why he wanted to stay with me again with the 4 ratings, especially he had a 2 hour extension to the check out time and I made sure he got his charger back…did he get short shrift and a detailed explanation of how the rating system worked and Im sorry - those dates aren’t available!

7 Likes

That page also shows what was “missing”. Guests who either didn’t use or didn’t see the towels and soap have said they didn’t get them. One slept in the sheets and then marked the sheets as missing. In order to save my jaw from cracking, gritting my teeth, I mostly avoid looking. Mostly. I did notice that I have a lot of “stylish space” compliments. You lot would laugh 'til you cried if you saw my “stylish” backcountry space that is “sparkling clean” and full of “thoughtful touches”.
It’s clean, don’t get me wrong, but hardly sparkling. Guests are way too nice.

6 Likes

No, not at all. “F off. Please find another listing that is up to your exacting standards.”

3 Likes

[Edit: Guests now can see compliments as of 10/21/2019]

From what I can tell, future guests can’t see the compliments. So, that means they are for hosts, and I’m curious if any hosts are using them to determine how to improve or if host’s think they aren’t good indicators simply due to how they are presented to the guest. I had to read how they actually work and I found an article here:

Here are mine and they definitely show a trend. I changed the absolute number to percentages of guests that left the compliment out of guests that reviewed, so it’s more meaningful.

Sparkling Clean 95%
Outstanding Hospitality 95%
Quick Responses 95%
Amazing Amenities 71%
Stylish Space 57%
Thoughtful touches: 33%
Local tips: 29%

I wish I would’ve been paying more attention to these from the beginning so I could see if changes that I made over time affected how guests respond. I can go back through the reviews, but if I see a trend, I probably won’t be able to correlate it to a specific change.

2 Likes

I noticed these showed up one day and I had no idea where they came from. Bedroom mould? I finally found the comment buried in the individual feedback under cleanliness: guest said it was a five-star stay but she could smell mould on the aluminum window panes. This comment finally disappeared after a year or so (and a year after I’d added bleaching around the windows to my cleaning routine).

Now mine say “Incorrect Address (2)” and “Inaccurate Photos (2)”. The two incorrect address comments were from the week it snowed last February. Both sets of guests dinged me on location because the buses were on snow route and even then would maybe show up. (This is a citywide problem and I warned guests before they arrived that our city shuts down when it snows.) Somehow the review interface prompted them to both click “incorrect address”???

The photo feedback doesn’t tell me if the guests found the photos to oversell or undersell the listing, or if they found something was missing that was promised by the photos. The guests just wrote “photos” as “things to improve” in private feedback.

2 Likes

They can’t directly but that little blurb at the top of the listing that says 29 recent guests said this place was sparkling clean comes from the compliments - which is also why that number doesn’t match star ratings for cleanliness.

I’ve noticed guests either leave all 7 or just 1. I think it must be in how it’s asked because it’s really clear that some guests have just chosen one because they think they’re supposed to - I’ve even had one guest say in the feedback “You deserve all the compliments” but only left one :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

LOL, yeah. I know my place looks OK, but I felt that my guests would value utility over style and so I didn’t put extra effort there and don’t expect “stylish space” to be a compliment, yet 57% give it.

For me, the ones that make sense are the 3 highest (Sparkling clean, quick responses, outstanding hospitality) and the 1 lowest number (local tips). The others not so much because most guests don’t elaborate in their public or private review.

I don’t get that at all. In fact only 14% left all 7 and only 5% left just 1.

2 Likes

Our guests leave an average of 4 out of 7 compliments, I think they are interesting ti see because the guests choose differently!

2 Likes

I’d like to know WHERE Airbnb gets this number. Mine says 19 recent guests, but my actual number is WAY higher than that. If someone does not leave compliments do you start from zero again?

Don’t get me started on the feedback section. I’ve received 3 such feed back tips from guests, that clearly didn’t understand what was being asked of them because they were all wrong/false.

Compliments section to me is a waste of time. They can expand on these things in the written review or private feedback.

Has anyone else noticed that the “Compliments” scores are now posted on their listing pages? They are now posted publicly on mine for the world to see. Further, they are showing incorrect numbers. I manually went in and counted all the “sparkling cleans” I’ve received and my listing is reporting only 2/3 of the total amount. (kinda like the random number up top that says “19 recent guests…” Yada yada…) :roll_eyes::grimacing:

48%20PM

2 Likes

No I just checked and don’t have it (yet, I’m guessing). There are 7 “compliments” but your photo only shows 5 - is that all that’s there or is the photo cropped? Also, are those red blocks there or you put them in to cover the numbers?

I’ll keep my eyes open for it! Thanks for the heads-up.

No red blocks on the page, I just covered the numbers b/c of the public nature of this forum. Yes, when I go to the progress page I still have 7 compliments. Not sure why “local tips” and “thoughtful touches” are not displaying publicly. Especially b/c I have higher numbers in those categories than say…“stylish space” HAHAHAHA.

I should also note that under progress the numbers I see are different than the numbers the public sees. Odd.

2 Likes

Yes, I see the compliments on my listing. Not sure when they showed up. I don’t remember seeing them on Friday.

2 Likes

I saw them last week but can’t recall exactly when either.

It seems odd that they left out Thoughtful Touches and especially odd that they left out Local Tips. Local Tips seems like it would be very relevant to some guests. Stylish Space :face_with_raised_eyebrow: seems a lot like the location rating - really dependent on the guest and ultimately their responsibility when booking. Should be interesting I guess.

1 Like

Or at least one that you will correctly give 5 stars across the board for! :wink:

1 Like

I know this post was made a few weeks ago now but just today I started seeing the roll up of those complements on my listings that have 26 and 40 reviews. They do not show up (yet) on my listings with 6, 7, and 15 reviews so there is likely a threshold for publication on the listing home page.

It also started showing that (although I don’t have SuperHost) i am a “Highly rated host” because I have 90% of recent reviews (for all listings) as 5 stars, and that I am an experienced host because I have XX reviews from other listings and I have “Great communication” for having 100% recent guests rating me 5 stars.

Hurray for us Highly rated non-Super Hosts!

I’m glad they aren’t posting the nasty or “missing” items, especially given how many of us receive them inaccurately as stated by @lawre about missing slept in sheets!