Complaints/suggestions for improvement for our rentals

My price is $200…

3 Likes

To continue down the path of “people don’t read”, our contract (Vrbo/HA, direct) does not have the rental rate in it. It has dates, number of people, liability denial, all those kind of contract things, but not the cost. In over 200 contracts, only two guests have ever asked where the rate is.

3 Likes

No rate in ours either, but I put the reservation number in the guest contract so it is incorporated by reference.

I don’t need a clean towel every day but I need two to start with. One for my body, one for my hair. I’ll use them for a couple of weeks if you give me a good place to hang them where they dry without souring.

1 Like

For longer stays, no broom, dustpan, or cleaning supplies of any kind.

Why? it would seem that leaving supplies for someone staying longer would be used a lot more than very short term-ers…

2 Likes

Hi Jaquo

No insult was intended. It is best not to take every host’s comments personally, they are read by a whole gamut of hosts – what suits one does not suit another. This type of forum should have diverse opinions, this creates a much richer and honest community, which helps all hosts. Your comment about only having 3 house rules obviously suits your accommodation well, for us with large country accommodation 3 house rules would be insufficient to say the least. All the best

Al

That’s interesting to note. I’ve always had the impression from members here that it’s the hosts who have guests in their own homes, or the ones who are remote hosts who have the laundry list of rules.

1 Like

Hi Jaquo
Thanks for your comment, not quite sure what you are getting at. Hosts living in their homes whilst hosting or remote hosts, should in my opinion have house rules. Many years ago we never had house rules and had constant complaints from guests about not knowing what to do and where certain things were, hence the importance of house rules for us. When making a damage claim, house rules are also very important.

Regarding your comment on how insulted you felt about my previous comment - we as hosts were under the impression that moderators are to remain as neutral as possible and to encourage robust & helpful interactions amongst its members?

All the best
Al

1 Like

Correct. We have a huge number of people who read the forum every day. Many are new hosts and some are would-be hosts so therefore it’s important to give as balanced a view as possible. Because all hosts differ, readers can get a wide variety of different viewpoints depending on their own particular circumstances. There is no one-size-fits-all.

1 Like

Ugh, this JUST happened to us too! I actually saw the mouse :(. So - I was honest with the next guest, alerting her that we needed to take care of the issue, but didn’t but didn’t want to leave her without accomodation. She chose to stay anyway and said “no worries!” So she and her guests arrived, and guess what? She saw the mouse too - freaked out , very angry, and left early. I refunded her entire stay, and asked her kindly to not post it in the reviews as we had not had a chance to take care of it before she arrived (since we didn’t cancel her stay). She posted about it ANYWAY, failing to mention we had told her about it prior, or that we had refunded her stay. I was mortified and called Air BNB, they contacted her and she refused to take it down…so it stays :(. I even had a guest email me and ask if this happens alot and wanted a “guarantee” that there was no mice. I declined her worrying about yet another poor review. Honestly, I’m still angry about this :(.

1 Like

The corollary to “People Don’t Read” is “People Lie”.

4 Likes

I used to have a laundry list of things like removing shoes, incorrectly sorting recycle, not moving furniture. I replaced them all by saying we charge $x/hour if cleaning takes more than 3 hours (typically takes 2).

That one rule covers so many rare events I’d have a hard time enumerating. Both guest and I are happier not wading through a rules list with those rare potentialities.

4 Likes

Hi pkiessig
We know exactly how you feel. Once her review went up did you reply within the 14 days with your explanation? Some guests feel very strongly about vermin and others are quite laidback.

We are always struggling with furry critters. We are out in the sticks - large country home backing onto a State Forest. Possums galore, foxes, deer, kangeroos, kamikaze birds, rats, mice, snakes, spiders and lizards of all descriptions & not forgetting the gazillion insects.

Our city guests & overseas guests have a real hard time in keeping screens in place which usually results in some sort of complaint.

I even had a complaint about my apairy bees foraging too close to the house. I did suggest to the complaining guest that if she had a severe allergy I presumed that she would have had an epipen on hand if she was stung.

Baiting our rodents is also a No No! for us, as they tend to die and then get consumed by some other innocent critter, or die inside a wall and smell the place out for weeks. We painstakingly use humane traps and then take them back into the forest hoping that they don’t return.

Guests need to be reminded not to leave yum edibles lying around the house as this does tend to attract the furries, and perhaps should not leave the house lights burning all night long attracting every single night creature for miles.

Don’t stress about the review, most educated people know that even the cleanest home can have furry occupants from time to time.

All the best
Al

As I can’t see how to start a new topic, I’ll piggy-back on this because it is similar!
Questions I wish Airbnb would ask prospective guests on a form which I see.
One query just said’ Hi! Looking forward to seeing you’.
Yes, I could see when and how many but single, double beds?
I can’t accept guests who don’t have transport so I would like to know how they are travelling as MOST OF THEM DON’T READ MY DESCRIPTION!
Any food allergies or religious restrictions.
Are they visiting family, climbing Snowdon, using Adventure Surf Snowdonia, or zip-lining?
I am not being nosy, I have information about these activities which add value to their stay and I can save them time, money and hassle!

1 Like

Peppermint oil may help keep mice out! Put it on cotton balls and stash strategically. Smells nice and works!

1 Like

@courgette3 I’ve attached a screenshot that shows where the new topic button is on as desktop computer.

And with all respect, this is not a similar topic. This thread is about guest complaints about accomodations both Airbnbs, inns and hotels. It not yet another thread complaining about guests. So if you’d like some input you might have better luck starting a new thread.

I appreciate that you all are so humane:grinning:
We are letting a professional deal with it.

Thank you, I looked but didn’t see!

My post is not a complaint about guests but about Airbnb booking site.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Ah! I look forward to seeing your new topic!

1 Like