Complaints/suggestions for improvement for our rentals

Yes. One of the biggest pains with the turnovers is waiting for the laundry so I can put the same stuff back on the bed. My dryer has a setting called steam refresh that I’ve never had to use but wonder if it would take the funk off the shelved linens.

1 Like

Only one person used all of them in +140 visits. I tend to use two at a time. But it’s the thought that counts :slight_smile:

1 Like

Inexcusable. We have our cleaner set it to the incoming guest’s last 4 digits of the phone number on the booking at every setup.

Yes she sets up before every guest in addition to turning over immediately after the previous checkout. Whole house listing in a weekend destination, the deck and porches have to have oak leaves blown off and the outdoor cushions set out and sweep up the dead scorpions. Can’t have guests seeing those on arrival.

Currently flipping out a little because evidence of a field mouse was found by the cleaner after the last checkout. Exterminator comes tomorrow. Next guest checks in on the 4th. I cannot even imagine having a field mouse indoors mentioned in a review. Annnnd on that note I am out to yoga class, breathing calmly lol … sigh.

1 Like

What kind of evidence? A field mouse is a lovely little creature.
It shouldn’t impact on the home because it’s …duh… a FIELD mouse. I give you the Scottish bard…

Bloody hell, reading that well-known poem again - nothing’s changed. We still savage the land with no regard and we still don’t learn from our mistakes.

Let the mousie live!!

2 Likes

He is not on the guest list and cannot remain in the home. I reckon what happened is the neighbor torched his burn pile that had been building for a couple of years, burning it out of its mousie village. It ran across the field, up the oak tree, down the chimney and into the corner of my living room behind the entertainment center. Tree trimming is next.

4 Likes

Oh crap! I don’t have oven mitts! :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

I purchased bedside alarm clocks that have two grounded outlets and three USB charging ports in the top and put those on the nightstand. $40 each.

3 Likes

@KKC. It does. I have that same setting and use it often for refreshing and getting wrinkles out.

2 Likes

I have those in every room now. This is an older house and there are not as many outlets.

We leave about a dozen bath towels (occupancy max 6) and I provide Turbie Twists to avoid use of a 2nd bath towel to wrap hair.

3 Likes

That’s a great idea. I’m one of, apparently, the few hosts that meets their guests in person. I own a tri-plex, I live in the unit next door & have a tenant that’s rented for almost 10 years in the other unit. I often get reviews saying how nice it was to be met by the owner, given a tour, explain Wi-Fi password (sometimes I ask guests that are really concerned about the Wi-Fi connection to sign in while I’m there so we can be sure they can connect & are reassured.) I also supply a great number of brochures from our local Chamber of Commerce & ask if they’d like restaurant suggestions. I even have maps for Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park, Teton National Park & other nearby areas mounted on my living room walls & will often go over suggestions of routes if the guest is interested. Sometimes I can tell guests just want me to hand them the key & leave, which I do after making sure they know how to reach me in case they have questions. I would never feel comfortable doing guest self check-in. I have once or twice in emergencies but I like to know who is staying in my property.

4 Likes

I bought large plastic tubs with covers to store linens in between guests (sometimes that can be several months, it’s been slow here) and use Trader Joe’s organic lavender dryer sachets in the bins. They don’t have an overpowering smell (I am allergic to many fragrances, so most of my products are odorless) but they keep everything smelling fresh. A quick tumble dry with a damp washcloth also perks the sheets up, smell-wise.

4 Likes

I also use tubs, and a bar of glycerine soap to keep them fresh.

1 Like

I’ve been on the fence about changing out all of the towel bars in one bathroom so I can add a matching combination shelf/towel bar to free up space on the vanity counter top. It’s not terrible, but I know how space can be with groups of 6 or 8 guests. This gives me the justification I need. I’ll add some extra robe/towel hooks while I’m at it.

2 Likes

Objection m’lud! I think that most hosts do, don’t they? Hosts here at the forum, anyway.

2 Likes

Time for another survey!
Happy Fourth, US hosts.

3 Likes

I take exception to being called m’lud, I would think my name, Amy would indicate I should be addresses as m’lady.
I didn’t mean to offend you if you are one that also greets your guests in person. Of course, if you are sharing your home with guests (as I did when I first started) I think it probably goes without saying that those hosts greet their guests in person 99% of the time. But from the posts I’ve read on this forum many hosts who have a listing they don’t live in have self check-in. Granted I haven’t seen any scientific data & there are a great many hosts that aren’t on this forum, so I don’t think either of us can be absolutely sure about this. As often happens these days when you Post on a public forum you’re sure to offend at least one person. I was just reading on another topic how a host had blocked off a day but was contacted directly by AIRBNB late in the evening because they had guests who showed up to their reservations 2 hours after check in began & did self check-in & the place was filthy, dirty wet towels, dirty unmade beds, etc. AIRBNB sent them to a 2nd self check-in & it was as bad or worse than the first. That’s when AIRBNB called a Superhost they knew they could rely on & hopefully make these 1st time AIRBNB clients happy & keep them from permanently leaving AIRBNB. They agreed, unblocked their calendar & redeemed AIRBNB by going the extra mile. I think that when we greet guests in person it gives us a chance to make sure everything is in good shape & if we don’t clean the place ourselves it gives those hosts an opportunity to make sure their cleaning service is doing a good job.

This is a joke, right?

Yes. That was me :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought, so with that experience I would have thought you would be aware of how many self check-ins there are & know how horribly wrong they can go… I’m not saying a preponderance of them do, just that it is far more likely. As a moderator perhaps you can do as dpfromva suggested & do a survey.